Re: Intro

  • David R. Hanson
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31 9:10 PM
      Hi Greg,

      I don't know what message boards you've frequented in the past, but
      they must have been poorly run. The worries you share (bloated
      graphics, ads, etc.) are easily surmountable.

      As it stands, there is no efficient way to see what different topics
      have been posted, or to follow a thread, or to send private messages,
      or to cooperatively build FAQs, or do see if other questions have been
      asked and answered. A respectable discussion board would do all of
      this and more. Indeed, if you don't like ads and bloat, you should
      FAVOR such a change, since currently, we have to put up with whatever
      overhead and bloat that yahoo wants to send our way.

      (Alas, none of the replies on this subject have been transferred to
      OT...in any case, it doesn't seem OT to me?)

      Any other updates on development timetables? I love this product, and
      would gladly spread the word and push for its adoption by others if
      it was clear it was still actively pursued by its able authors...

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:
      > Hi Jody,
      >
      > > Amen!
      > >
      > > Regards, John M
      > >
      > > David R. Hanson wrote:
      > >
      > > > snip..
      > > >
      > > > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real
      message
      > > > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
      >
      > No NEVER! NoteTab is a text editor. YahooGroup mail lists allow me to
      > receive everything in plain text too! Entirely appropriate!
      >
      > Message Boards on web sites tend to become full of hideous graphical
      > clutter, are unusable if you are connecting via a mobile phone at
      9.6kbps,
      > rather than the luxury of broadband, which I don't have even when
      connected
      > via land line.
      >
      > YahooGroup mail lists, especially when set up like this one (attachments
      > banned - so I don't get all that HTML garbage) and with my personal
      setting
      > of "Do not convert to HTML" (so I'm not even forced to get graphical
      adverts
      > added back onto the plain text messages the list naturally provides) are
      > ideal. The prospect of a Web-based message board appals! For those
      that
      > like web-based message boards surely there's the web interface at
      > YahooGroups to do the job?
      >
      > I've set replies to go to the Off-topic list, but I fancy
      YahooGroups strips
      > that instruction out - but please reply to the off-topic list
      anyway! (I'm
      > sure Jody would appreciate it!)
      >
      > Greg
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi Dave,

        > (Alas, none of the replies on this subject have been transferred to
        > OT...in any case, it doesn't seem OT to me?)

        Well, it's not "basic use of NoteTab" so I've replied on the off-topic list!

        Greg
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 15, 2005
          Hi David, Greg, John, and anybody else reading...

          The forum vs yahoogroups topic needs to go to the off topic list
          after this which I copied this reply. (Oh, I see you did bring it
          over there after all. I'm still cleaning out many hundreds of
          messages in my inbox (private, not support) from my 3 week
          vacation.)

          >Any updates? I've been very happy with NP pro for years, but no
          >updates in 2+ years isn't a good sign...

          It isn't a bad sign either; the answer is still the same as
          below. I can assure you that someday we will indeed upgrade
          NoteTab. It was still voted People's Choice again at the SIC
          awards convention for shareware for some 7-8 years now only
          missing one year in a row. Fookes Software is Eric Fookes and
          myself. Eric does what he needs to do for the company, his
          livelihood, family time, etc. Unfortunately, only so much can be
          done, but we will eventually get to NoteTab.

          >It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real
          >message board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

          I don't mean to sound to cold and rude below, but want to make my
          point/stance on the issue perfectly clear! :-)

          Sorry, but that is out of the question - it will not happen.
          Yahoogroups has served us well, has enough features, etc. Sure,
          it could be better, more sophisticated and so on, but the way it
          is has served us well for many years. Most forums do not have
          eMail delivery either, are much slower to use for me anyway, and
          until discussion mailing list are phased out (if ever), a forum
          would be the very last thing I would resort to. I would probably
          spend a few thousand $$$ on my own mail server and account, etc.
          before using a forum for the lists.

          >>> Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and have
          >>> managed to get my boss to consider purchasing it for our PC
          >>> Support team, the only question is, is it still under active
          >>> development? Seems like a long time since 4.95.
          >>
          >> Yes, it is, although we have not been able to get back to
          >> upgrading it as soon as we had hoped for. Be assured that it is
          >> not abandoned though.

          Happy Tab'n,