Re: [NTB] Nonfunctioning because...?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
      Documets formatted in a word processor will create the kind of problems
      you're describing. NoteTab is a text editor. Just make sure that the
      file you are trying to open is in text format and you'll be OK.

      sisterscape

      --- thueo108 <trasmus@...> wrote:

      > A message says that a particular file "has not been fully loaded. It
      > probably contains one or more null characters. Use the option 'Filter
      > Binary Codes' if you want to load the entire file next time."
      > Having done this (checked the "filter binary codes" option), some of
      > the files remain gibberish--unreadable. Since I do want to use this
      > notetab software, inasmuch as it is reported to be so good, why
      > doesn't it function well for me?

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Jeffery Scism
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 7:16 AM
        Mordechai wrote:

        >Hello,
        >I have the same problem, only this time the HTML pages were created by one
        >of "Microsoft PowerToys" which is "HTML slideshow". The pages have black
        >color background and I wanted to change it, so I opened one in "NTB" and got
        >the same message, could not edit the page ( they ARE NOT 'read only'). I
        >copied the page onto a new page, saved it and then I could edit it (the new
        >one). But imagine doing this to almost a hundred pages, when I can open
        >10-15 pages at a time in NTB.
        >I think I need the same answer as the original message down here.
        >Thanks.
        >Mordechai M.
        >airflow@...

        Perhaps a clip? one that opens the native application, copies all, then
        pastes it to a new TEXT Document?

        You can get it too run through an entire directory if you want.
      • Mordechai

          > A message says that a particular file "has not been fully loaded. It
          > probably contains one or more null characters. Use the option 'Filter
          > Binary Codes' if you want to load the entire file next time."
          > Having done this (checked the "filter binary codes" option), some of
          > the files remain gibberish--unreadable. Since I do want to use this
          > notetab software, inasmuch as it is reported to be so good, why
          > doesn't it function well for me?

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • loro
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 11:28 AM
            Mordechai wrote:
            >I have the same problem, only this time the HTML pages were created by one
            >of "Microsoft PowerToys" which is "HTML slideshow". The pages have black
            >color background and I wanted to change it, so I opened one in "NTB" and got
            >the same message, could not edit the page ( they ARE NOT 'read only').

            Are you sure Notetab doesn't make the document read-only? I'm thinking the
            MS prog maybe outputs unicode. Just a hunch.

            Lotta
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 3:34 PM
              Hi Mordechai and Others...,

              You might be interested in checking out my site with Frequently
              Asked Questions for NoteTab. There is a frames and no frames
              version. You can switch back and forth to the two different
              formats:

              From the NoteTab Support Desk
              http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb (Frames)
              http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb/index2.htm (No frames)

              This is towards the bottom of the questions on the above web pages...

              What is a binary error; how do I get rid of it?

              Please understand what Help says (below) before making changes to
              binary documents such as *.doc, and *.exe, etc. I suggest you
              read this in full as well.

              Some servers and programs add a binary character at the end of
              the files. This is usually the case when you know they are text
              based files such as.txt and .htm. NoteTab detects the character
              and warns you that it may be a binary file like .doc, .jpg.
              NoteTab replaces the null character (binary value of no
              importance usually) with a replacement character. That assumes
              you have your binary features checked under the Files tab in
              Options. You can see the character in Options | File | Binary
              Replace Character. When NoteTab replaces it it also marks the
              file as read-only in NoteTab.

              (Also, with no text selected and the file in the saved state,
              hold your mouse pointer over the main document edit window and
              look at the file format on the status bar. If it says MAX, Unix,
              or something different than Windows/DOS and you want it to be
              Windows/DOS, right click on the tab and change the Save Format.
              You can also use the feature under Modify | Lines | Adjust Line
              Breaks - Use this command on documents (for example UNIX or Mac
              files) that do not display lines with standard carriage return +
              line feed characters.)

              You have a couple of options to take for binary read-only marked
              files. One is if you know for sure the file is a text based file,
              take it out of read-only from the Document menu at the bottom and
              then Ctrl+End to get to the bottom of the document. This assumes
              that is where the binary/null character is and where they are
              normally inserted at. The NoteTab default replacement character
              is the center dot/center period. If you see it at the bottom,
              delete it and then save the file. If you upload to the server and
              then download again, and the same thing happens you can use the
              second option.

              The second option is to uncheck all the binary warnings in Options
              | Files. You can get there from the View menu. There are three
              binary options to be concerned with. Actually, you can leave the
              warnings there if you don't mind the error message every time you
              open one of these files. If you turn off all three, then just
              remember that you did so and do not try to edit true binary files
              like .doc (MS Word) files - you will surely corrupt them.

              The following is from Help (under the File tab in Options).

              Filter Binary Codes:
              By default, if you try to load a file that contains null
              characters (a character with a decimal value of 0), NoteTab will
              treat the first occurring null as the end of the file. This
              option lets you override this behavior by allowing NoteTab to
              substitute null characters with another character – defined in
              the "Substitute Binary Character" field. When set, you can load
              the full content of any type of file (including binaries).

              Important: saving files which have had characters substituted
              will not restore the control character! This option slows the
              text files.

              Warn Partial Loading:
              Warns if a file has only been partially loaded due to the
              presence of null characters. This option has no effect if "Filter
              Binary Codes" is set.

              Warn Binaries Substituted:
              Displays a warning message if binary characters have been
              substituted in the loaded document.

              If there are no binary characters in the file and it is marked on
              the hard drive as read-only, that is, the read-only attribute is
              checked, then you'll need to uncheck it. You can do that from
              NoteTab by clicking on Document | Disk File Properties... (Alt+;)
              and uncheck the Read-only box. If it is marked in all your files
              in a directory, you can go to Windows Explorer (or My Computer)
              and select/highlight all the files that you do not want marked
              read-only, right click over the selected area, and choose
              Properties. Uncheck the read-only box and then click on OK.

              I have a number of Clips that work with directories in my
              DirStuff. There are some Clips in it to change the file
              attributes in it about halfway down or there about.

              NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
              http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
              Direct download for DirStuff
              http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

              >I have the same problem, only this time the HTML pages were created by one
              >of "Microsoft PowerToys" which is "HTML slideshow". The pages have black
              >color background and I wanted to change it, so I opened one in "NTB" and got
              >the same message, could not edit the page ( they ARE NOT 'read only'). I
              >copied the page onto a new page, saved it and then I could edit it (the new
              >one). But imagine doing this to almost a hundred pages, when I can open
              >10-15 pages at a time in NTB.
              >I think I need the same answer as the original message down here.
              >Thanks.
              >Mordechai M.
              >airflow@...

              Happy Tab'n,

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 4:04 PM
                Hi Mordechai and Others...,

                I noticed my online version was a bit different than my NoteTab Library PasteBack FAQ, so I updated and merged them both, hopefully identical now in all three places. I snipped out most the stuff below and added what I inserted to the last message.

                >You might be interested in checking out my site with Frequently
                >Asked Questions for NoteTab. There is a frames and no frames
                >version. You can switch back and forth to the two different
                >formats:
                >
                > From the NoteTab Support Desk
                >http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb (Frames)
                >http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb/index2.htm (No frames)
                >
                >This is towards the bottom of the questions on the above web pages...
                >
                >What is a binary error; how do I get rid of it?
                >
                >Please understand what Help says (below) before making changes to
                >binary documents such as *.doc, and *.exe, etc. I suggest you
                >read this in full as well.

                <snip>

                And, yet, a third option... You might try using Document |
                InsertFile... into a new document instead. It is a safe way to
                get a copy of the file into NoteTab that you can work with not
                having to fear that you might mess up a perfectly good document.
                In the case of a null character (mentioned below from Help) in
                the last line of the document you can most likely uncheck "Filter
                Binary Codes" and edit the file. Do read the rest of this before
                doing any changes and certain make a backup file before editing.