Re: [NTB] Unable to change file association

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2005
      Hi Wndy,

      I would go back into Folder Options and use the Restore (I think
      that is what they say) that should set it back to the original
      Windows default, Notepad most likely. Then, in NoteTab use View |
      Options | Associations and add txt there. NoteTab should
      correctly update your Windows associations with all the print,
      printo, shell, etc. and make a backup so if you uninstall or
      remove the file association under normal circumstances, it will
      revert to the Windows backup make, txt associated with Notepad
      most likely. The following is more information on associating
      with NoteTab. Ignore the part about the attached file. You'll
      have to write me in private eMail about it.

      - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
      - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
      - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
      - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
      - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
      - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
      - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

      - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

      I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
      Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
      some feedback, the Library is attached and should be extracted to
      NoteTab's Library folder. Read the Information Clip on top for
      instructions. A few dozen have used it with success and no
      problems. I suggest that you only try it if you are very familiar
      with Windows Explorer in case something does glitch and you need
      to manually correct it. That is easy and I do have Clips in the
      Library to backup and to restore to Windows default.

      - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

      Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
      Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
      convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
      way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
      default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
      Utilities Library.

      - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

      The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
      Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
      the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
      from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
      restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
      those messages.)

      - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

      Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
      Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
      Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

      - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

      If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
      for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
      NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the

      Add SendTo Shortcut
      Add to Edit HTML file type
      Add IE Default HTML Editor
      Restore IE Default HTML Editor

      If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
      Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
      it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

      - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

      You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
      Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
      discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
      at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
      List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
      about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
      only be used by experienced computer users.

      either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
      _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

      Clips or Scripts list for them.

      are for discussion of those programs.

      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
      getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

      - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

      You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
      less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
      does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
      that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
      the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
      folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as

      ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

      There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
      or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
      add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
      executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

      ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

      >I've just installed Notetab Std to replace NT Lite and found that I've not
      >been able to change the file associations to associate NT Std with TXT
      >files. I'm running Windoze XP pro.
      >I first tried to change the file association thru the help menu, eg:
      > <Help | Replace MS Notepad >
      >When that didn't work I tried using Windows Explorer:
      ><Folder Options | File types | Txt Text Document | Change>
      >In the resulting <Open With> dialogue-box I noted that the Notetab Std
      >file was absent from the list . I therefore clicked the <Browse> button and
      >surfed to the <Notetab.exe> file. However, upon selecting that file and
      >returning to the <Open With> dialogue-box I discovered to my dismay that
      >Notetab still failed to appear in the list of programs!!!
      >Very weird. Now in all other respects, the program functions normally with
      >no indication of distress.
      > I just can't figure out how to get it into the <Open With> dialogue box
      >list. I should also note that I didn't encounter this problem while
      >previously using NT Lite.
      >Any ideas as to what gremlin is causing this problem?
      >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Happy Tab'n,