Text suddenly modified (by ghosts?)

  • Bruce Somers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
      I have again witnessed a very surprising turn of events with NoteTab,
      so to speak. All of the non-7-bit-ASCII characters in one of my files
      have been replaced by the correspondng HTML escape-codes.

      For example:
      Is mise Bruce, ag lorg ùlla ar crann eidhneán.

      now appears as
      Is mise Bruce, ag lorg úlla ar crann eidhneán.

      ú replaced by ú
      á replaced by á

      I have seen this before. Has no one else had that experience? Is
      there
      an easy way to reverse this change?

      (If the characters are not left 'as is' in this e-mail, this message
      will be totally unintelligible. Sorry.

      Bruce
    • Ben B
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
        On Saturday, Jul 23, 2005
        Bruce Somers wrote regarding "[NTB] Text suddenly modified (by ghosts?)";

        > All of the non-7-bit-ASCII characters in one of my files
        > have been replaced by the correspondng HTML escape-codes.
        >
        > For example:
        > Is mise Bruce, ag lorg ùlla ar crann eidhneán.
        > now appears as
        > Is mise Bruce, ag lorg úlla ar crann eidhneán.
        >
        > [...]
        >
        > Is there an easy way to reverse this change?
        >
        > (If the characters are not left 'as is' in this e-mail, this message
        > will be totally unintelligible. Sorry.

        Hi Bruce,

        Well, that sentence is pretty much unintelligible to me anyway :) but
        what you describe will happen if you press Shift+Ctrl+H or if you select
        "Characters to HTML" from the "Modify" menu. At least, it will in
        NoteTab Pro.

        I don't know of an easy way to reverse the change but I suppose someone
        could write a clip . . .

        HTH
        Ben
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
          Hi Bruce,

          If you do not have some utility running that would change the
          extended characters to their HTML code, and not autocorrect
          Library that would do it, or in your Default.udt under the
          [AutoCorrect] section at the bottom, then the only thing I can
          think of is the Modify | Document to HTML is somehow just
          converting those characters. If text is selected with them in it
          and you run the aforementioned feature, it will be converted like
          it is (unless you use the "No character conversion" item. I
          suppose it is also possible that you had the file loaded in
          another HTML editor and it changed it on shut down, a feature of
          it maybe. If you have the text selected and press Alt+X it will
          convert also; perhaps you are hitting it meaning to use a
          shortcut like Ctrl+X by accident when the text is selected.
          Anyway, check around in those areas mentioned and you might find
          where it is coming from.

          >I have again witnessed a very surprising turn of events with
          >NoteTab, so to speak. All of the non-7-bit-ASCII characters in
          >one of my files have been replaced by the correspondng HTML
          >escape-codes.
          >
          >For example:
          >Is mise Bruce, ag lorg ùlla ar crann eidhneán.
          >
          >now appears as
          >Is mise Bruce, ag lorg úlla ar crann eidhneán.
          >
          >ú replaced by ú
          >á replaced by á
          >
          >I have seen this before. Has no one else had that experience? Is
          >there
          >an easy way to reverse this change?
          >
          >(If the characters are not left 'as is' in this e-mail, this message
          >will be totally unintelligible. Sorry.

          Happy Tab'n,