Creating a Clip

  • markeaston2005
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
      Hi I am just trying out Notetab and wanted to set-up atest clip. This
      is my clip :

      ^!Replace \n <BR> WTRA

      But I keep getting told there is a syntax error. Yet,I can see nothing
      wrong the syntax.

      What is the problem?

      I am trying to replace line feeds with <BR>.

      Thanks
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
        markeaston2005 wrote:
        > Hi I am just trying out Notetab and wanted to set-up atest clip. This
        > is my clip :
        >
        > ^!Replace \n <BR> WTRA
        >
        > But I keep getting told there is a syntax error. Yet,I can see nothing
        > wrong the syntax.
        >
        > What is the problem?
        >
        > I am trying to replace line feeds with <BR>.
        >
        > Thanks

        Mark,

        Can't tell from your entry, are you trying to replace a linefeed with
        the 'replace' by either, a tab, or, 'space' -double chevron, 2 right
        pointing arrows- and a 'space'. Try this;

        ^!Replace \n >> <br> TWRSA

        I prefer the double chevron, makes it immediately apparent what the
        separator is.

        ºvº
        05.06.23
        hrs > hsavage@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
          Hi Harvey and Mark,

          >Can't tell from your entry, are you trying to replace a linefeed with
          >the 'replace' by either, a tab, or, 'space' -double chevron, 2 right
          >pointing arrows- and a 'space'. Try this;
          >
          >^!Replace \n >> <br> TWRSA
          >
          >I prefer the double chevron, makes it immediately apparent what the
          >separator is.

          I always do the double arrows as well as I use quotes. It just
          helps these fat fingers and tired eyes out from making typos and
          troubleshooting something really simply for a half an hour. This is
          how I replied...

          > The reason I came onto your product in the first place is
          > because I want to do this:

          > ^!Replace \n <BR> WTRA

          > ie replace line feeds with <BR>

          The correct syntax [Tab] means literal tab - press tab key.

          ^!Replace \n[Tab]<BR>[Tab]WTRA or ^!Replace[Tab]\n[Tab]<BR> WTRA

          One of those two; I think the first. There's 2 tabs and a space.
          However, so typos aren't made and so you don't have to keep
          looking it up, use this syntax:

          ^!Replace "\n" >> "<BR>" WTRA

          Also, when you can get away with it, do not use RegExp unless you
          have to because it is a little buggie at times, especially with
          the \n new line when used with more characters. We will be
          replacing the current RegExp engine with a good Perl type in our
          next release which could be 4-12 months from now. Use the ^p, ^t,
          ^b tokens for: new line (cr/lf), tab, page break, respectfully.

          So...

          ^!Replace "^p" >> "<br>" WASH

          S = Silent search - do not display messages
          H = If text is selected, only edit selection, if no selection is
          made, do All occurrences in W document.

          You may get some ideas from these two Clips...

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=Do <p> & <br> Only
          ; eMailed on 06-23-2005, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
          ; http://www.sojourner.us/software
          ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us

          ^!Replace "^p" >> "<br>^p" WASH
          ^!Replace "<p>^p" >> "<p>" WASH
          ^!Replace "<br>^p" >> "</p>^p" SB

          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Replace "</p>" >> "" S

          <--- Copy above this line --->
          <--- Right click over a Library --->
          <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=Make FrameX.htm Page for Frames Format
          ; eMailed on 06-23-2005, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
          ; http://www.sojourner.us/software
          ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us

          ^!Toolbar Copy All
          ^!Toolbar Paste New
          ^!Jump Doc_End
          :Loop
          ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Skip_2
          ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
          ^!Goto Loop
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Find "H=" S
          ^!InsertText
          ^!Select eol
          ^!Insert ^p<h2>^$GetSelection$</h2>
          ^!Jump +2
          ^!Insert <p>
          ^!Replace "^p" >> "<br>^p" WASH
          ^!Replace "<p>^p" >> "<p>" WASH

          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Replace "</p>" >> "" S
          ^!Replace "<p><h2>" >> "<h2>" S
          ^!Replace "</h2></p>" >> "</h2>" S
          ^!Jump Doc_End

          ^!Jump 1
          <head>
          <title>
          NoteTab Fookes Software Support Desk: NoteTab Pro, NoteTab Std, NoteTab Light Text and HTML Editors
          </title>
          <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="sd1.css">
          </head>
          ^!Insert ^p
          ^!Replace "<br>^p<h2>" >> "^p<h2>" S

          <--- Copy above this line --->
          <--- Right click over a Library --->
          <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

          Happy Clip'n!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
            Hi Everybody,

            Oops! Sorry about posting the Clips on the Basic list. I'll
            punish myself for it later. ;) I hate it when I break the
            unpardonable sin!

            >Hi Harvey and Mark,
            >>^!Replace \n >> <br> TWRSA

            Happy Clip'n!

          • Mark Easton
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
              Wow,

              You guys are really helpful! I am glad I bought this product!!! :-)

              Yep it works now, and without reg expressions. Very cool.

              Thank-you
> [...]

              :Loop
              ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Skip_2
              ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
              ^!Goto Loop
              ^!Jump 1
              ^!Find "H=" S
              ^!InsertText
              ^!Select eol
              ^!Insert ^p<h2>^$GetSelection$</h2>
              ^!Jump +2
              ^!Insert <p>
              ^!Replace "^p" >> "<br>^p" WASH
              ^!Replace "<p>^p" >> "<p>" WASH

              ^!Jump 1
              ^!Replace "</p>" >> "" S
              ^!Replace "<p><h2>" >> "<h2>" S
              ^!Replace "</h2></p>" >> "</h2>" S
              ^!Jump Doc_End

              ^!Jump 1
              <head>
              <title>
              NoteTab Fookes Software Support Desk: NoteTab Pro, NoteTab Std, NoteTab
              Desk - FAQ. NoteTab Text and HTML editors (NoteTab Pro, NoteTab Std, and
              NoteTab Light; also: MailBag Assistant, Easy Imager, Album Express! Free:
              CSE HTML Validator Lite, Top Style CSS Editor Lite, and more...">
              thumbnail,digital camera,easy thumbnails,files,html editor,text
              editor,freeware,gawk,highlight,highlighting,html,html editor,html
              highlighting,image,images,macro,mailbag assistant,note tab,notepad
              lite,notepad replacement,notetab,notetab light,notetab pro,notetab
              std,perl,photo album,programming,regexp,regular expressions,screen
              saver,script,scripting language,search and replace,search disk
              files,shareware,sort,super notepad,super notetab,syntax highlighting,text
              and html editor,text editor,thumbnail editor,thumbnails,web
              photos,wordstar,zoomify">
              <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="sd1.css">
              </head>
              ^!Insert ^p
              ^!Replace "<br>^p<h2>" >> "^p<h2>" S

              <--- Copy above this line --->
              <--- Right click over a Library --->
              <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

              Happy Clip'n!

            • Bert Byfield
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 24, 2005
                > > The reason I came onto your product in the first place is
                > > because I want to do this:
                > > ^!Replace \n <BR> WTRA
                > > ie replace line feeds with <BR>

                I'm still working on doing all selected lines, but what I'm using right
                now is (first line is title):

                <BR> at EOL
                ^!Jump LINE_END
                ^!Jump +001

                This will put a <BR> at the end of the line where the cursor is, and
                move the cursor to the next line, so for a range of lines you can just
                keep double-clicking on the clip.
                I *do* have clips to change a block of text into a Table or a List, if
                that is your end goal Once I got these three clips, working on
                changing all of a selected text to <BR>s went to a low priority task.

              • Mark Easton
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 24, 2005
                  Thats cool Bert. My end goal is to be able to paste all of the text into a
                  single Excel Spreadsheet cell. So I cant have any line feeds. That is then
                  saved out in tab delimitered format and used by an import program (Easy
                  Populae) to load the data into the database for my new osCommerce Website ..
                  ie www.davesbasement.com

                  Which has me thinking ... I wonder how NoteTab goes with working with tab
                  delimetered data easily ... I'll give it a go.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 24, 2005
                    > Which has me thinking ... I wonder how NoteTab goes with working with
                    > tab delimetered data easily ... I'll give it a go.

                    I haven't done anything with Tabs yet, but check out %TAB% in Help>>Clip
                    Programming>>Index. Looks like you can treat tabs as just plain characters.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 24, 2005
                      Hi All,

                      You all are very much appreciated for posting on the correct
                      list, and following the rules for the lists, and for keeping them
                      clean, kind, and courteous! Well, for being very helpful too! :)

                      I know somebody and myself goofed and posted some Clips on this
                      list and it is a big no-no! :-), but you really need to sign up
                      for the Clips list for posting Clips and discussing them. It
                      really is important to do! Links are at the bottom of every [NTB]
                      list post to signup for it and the Off Topic list via yahoogroups
                      online, or in my sigline in some posts, this one for sure.

                      ...But, my page to sign up for them is (below) in the discussion
                      thing I wrote about the different lists. Please read it at least
                      once all the way through and if you have not read it in the past
                      six months or so, please read it again. Thanks very much!!!

                      >> Which has me thinking ... I wonder how NoteTab

                      You may sign up for the different Fookes Software discussion mailing
                      lists from either of the links below. Please take a minute or so and
                      read this. There are many lists and your help in posting messages
                      properly to the different lists is greatly appreciated.

                      _Please_ read the following to see what list to send messages to and
                      some basic guidelines to follow. It is very important to keep the
                      lists running efficiently, getting faster replies, getting replies
                      from the best qualified/expert people, searching archives, and other
                      things as well.

                      - Use a descriptive Subject: line to begin with! This is important!
                      Newbie Needs Help and similar Subject lines should be changed
                      immediately to an appropriate Subject such as:

                      Files Keep Opening When I Open NoteTab (was Re: [NTB] Newbie Needs Help)
                      Basic Help With Web Pages (was Re: [NTB] Help)
                      Need Clip to Reformat HTML <head>...</head> (was Re: [Clip] Need Clip)

                      - Messages should be referred/redirected to the appropriate lists such as
                      Clip questions to the Clips list, HTML to the ntb-HTML list. You can Cc:
                      the sender of a Clips question and send your reply to the Clips list. Or,
                      Reply and Cc: the Clips list stating you will Reply on the Clips list.

                      - Delete text from your replies that is not needed to understand your
                      reply - strip footers, and extra text that is not needed.

                      - If the content of the messages change drastically from the Subject
                      line, please change the Subject line or start a new Subject with
                      the same message body of the last message received that you are
                      replying to and changing the Subject. Don't forget to leave
                      the original Subject in like: Re: [NH] Frames Using CSS (was How do
                      I blockquote?) for people that are using filters and so the same
                      message thread can be followed easier.

                      - Discussion of software other than Fookes Software is only allowed
                      on the Off-Topic list and encouraged! Feel free to recommend
                      competitive software on the Off-Topic list as well. When replying
                      say from the Basic List and it needs to go to the Clips list,
                      then send it there and copy the poster in a private message to
                      the person you are wanting to help letting them know you moved it
                      to the Clips list. They can sign up for it via the bottom of
                      every [NTB] message or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                      - Keep the conversation clean; all age groups are on the list and
                      cussing/cursing offends many people! TIA :)

                      + WHICH LIST to post on???

                      Clips or Scripts list for them.

                      are for discussion of those programs.

                      Discussion mailing list subscribing and unsubscribing:
                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                      lists.

                      Fookes Software Home Page via Jody'$ affiliate link:
                      http://www.fookes.us ;) Thank$

                      Aid4Mail: Export messages from many popular mail programs to other
                      formats! It's a must have tool for eMail conversion, archiving, and
                      compressing. Make really neat CDs using the MHT format for
                      browsers. Check it out at: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                      Happy Clip'n!