Problem with Replacing ^P

  • Dan Diebolt
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2005
      I have text that looks like this:

      one
      two
      three

      which I routinely turn into this

      one,two,three

      using the Replace function:

      Find What: ^P
      Replace With: ,

      For some reason all I am getting is this:

      one,
      two,
      three,

      I have done this 100's of times and for the life of me I cannot
      determine what is going wrong. Any help?
    • Jeffery Scism
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2005
        Dan Diebolt wrote:

        >I have text that looks like this:
        >
        >one
        >two
        >three
        >
        >which I routinely turn into this
        >
        >one,two,three
        >
        >using the Replace function:
        >
        >Find What: ^P
        >Replace With: ,
        >
        >For some reason all I am getting is this:
        >
        >one,
        >two,
        >three,
        >
        >I have done this 100's of times and for the life of me I cannot
        >determine what is going wrong. Any help?

        Mine does it too, especially since I switched to XP Home.

        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        "He who throws stones is providing an enemy with ammunition, and an idea of it's application."

        Benjamin Franklin

        S250 DNA Project
        Crawley DNA Project
        Montgomery County Indiana USGenWeb site

      • Don Daugherty
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2005
          Dan Diebolt wrote:

          >I have text that looks like this:
          >
          >one
          >two
          >three
          >
          >which I routinely turn into this
          >
          >one,two,three
          >
          >using the Replace function:
          >
          >Find What: ^P
          >Replace With: ,
          >
          >For some reason all I am getting is this:
          >
          >one,
          >two,
          >three,

          I haven't encountered this problem, but it may just be that I do this
          job a little different. I think you can probably solve the problem by
          using a regular expression to do the substitutions:
          Find expression: "\n"
          Replace expression: ","
          (I sometimes have trouble if the regular expression box is checked first
          so I check it AFTER entering the above expressions, without the quote
          marks of course.)
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2005
            Hi Dan,

            That is a known bug in NoteTab Standard/Light. It happens under
            different situations that I don't remember off the top of my
            head. You can work around it by finding ^p and replacing with ,
            and a character not used in the document following a comma like:

            Find: ^p
            Replace with: ,`
            Then find ,` and replace with ,

            Sign up on the Clips list to have a Clip made so you can do it
            with one click instead of two passes in the Replace dialog.

            If you do ^p and , and instead of Replace All, just keep clicking
            on Replace, it will just keep adding commas to the line the
            cursor is on - wherever you start at when it finds the 1st hard
            line break.

            >I have text that looks like this:
            >
            >one
            >two
            >three
            >
            >which I routinely turn into this
            >
            >one,two,three
            >
            >using the Replace function:
            >
            >Find What: ^P
            >Replace With: ,
            >
            >For some reason all I am getting is this:
            >
            >one,
            >two,
            >three,
            >
            >I have done this 100's of times and for the life of me I cannot
            >determine what is going wrong. Any help?

            Happy Clip'n!

          • Dan Diebolt
            Message 5 of 9 , May 31, 2005
              >I think you can probably solve the problem by
              > using a regular expression to do the substitutions:
              > Find expression: "\n"
              > Replace expression: ","

              I tried that as well - also \l, \r and \f. Nothing works.

              The very strange thing is that I do this all
              the time and it even works on other files.

              It almost appears that there is something associated with
              the file that is preventing the desired replacement.

              Still looking for a solution or workaround.
            • Jeffery Scism
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2005
                I had this same problem with files that had once had word Wrap set on
                them at a column width, I finally had to copy the contents to another
                text editor, delete the existing doc, and create a NEW doc.

                Jeff
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Jeffery Scism wrote:
                  > I had this same problem with files that had once had word Wrap set on
                  > them at a column width, I finally had to copy the contents to another
                  > text editor, delete the existing doc, and create a NEW doc.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  Does the %nl% figure in here somewhere? I don't have standard/light
                  running most of the time, so I have never seen this behavior. Just pop
                  for the pro version ... the easy fix :-) If you want to email me a copy
                  of the file, I'll try it in light and see if I have the same problem.

                  Don
                • Jeffery Scism
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                    I am not having the problem currently, I reinstalled to a new HD, and
                    NEVER set the "Wrap to Column" since- so avoid the bug.

                    I did have a problem with it last year, and reported it as a "bug" for
                    later fix in the next version.

                    Jeff
                  • Jeffery Scism
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                      Jeffery Scism wrote:

                      >I am not having the problem currently, I reinstalled to a new HD, and
                      >NEVER set the "Wrap to Column" since- so avoid the bug.
                      >
                      >I did have a problem with it last year, and reported it as a "bug" for
                      >later fix in the next version.
                      >
                      >Jeff

                      Additional: hat bug was in the FIND in all open docs or the Directory
                      search function in Notetab Standard, (control +D search).

                      The search function was not finding multiline search criteria in HTML
                      documents. Any lines that "broke ( ^P) would not be found.

                      WE worked out a REGEX search that did a fair job, but was also flukey.

                      The end solution was a uninstall and reinstall to an alternate
                      directory, and a copy off and re-creation of the affected pages as
                      anew text/html document, which had NEVER had "wrap to column" set for
                      it. Apparently the sytem remembers that a document had in the past been
                      "wrapped" and that process is a problem when searching to do global
                      replacements. (some hidden coding changes...)

                      (I started the mess by trying to turn ON wordwrap, and mistakenly set
                      "wrap to column" in a global template- thus corrupting 5,000 webpages I
                      had created with that template).

                      Jody has spent hours with me trying to get it straight, and we finally did.

                      (Jody is a GREAT person!)

                      Jeff

                      --
                      ~~