Re: [NTB] NoteTab and XP (SP2)

  • Patricia Tidmarsh
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2005
      Isnt there an SP3 now? If so, has anyone used it? I had to uninstall SP2
      because it caused problems.

      On Tue, 24 May 2005, harvsegal wrote:

      > Can someone please update me on the position with
      > NoteTab running on SP2.
      >
      > I installed SP2 last year and found problems getting it
      > to replace Notepad.
      >
      > These were resolved except for one case - when I try to
      >
      > Believe it or not I find this feature so important that
      > I reverted back to SP1 for this one problem alone.
      >
      > I would be interested to know if there is any
      > workaround for this, or if it requires a new NoteTab
      > release, and any other known problems using NoteTab
      > with SP2
      >
      > Thanks
      > Harvey

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jason W.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2005
        > On Tue, 24 May 2005, harvsegal wrote:

        > > Can someone please update me on the position with
        > > NoteTab running on SP2.
        > >
        > > I installed SP2 last year and found problems getting it
        > > to replace Notepad.

        Harvey,

        Last I knew, Jody was working on a clip to do that but I'm not sure if
        it ever got done. You can replace Notepad if you go spelunking in your
        Windows directory and delete a couple of files, but it's not for the
        faint of heart.

        On 5/24/05, Patricia Tidmarsh <patricia@...> wrote:

        > Isnt there an SP3 now? If so, has anyone used it? I had to uninstall SP2
        > because it caused problems.

        Patricia,

        There's a possibility that MS might release SP3 but I don't think it's
        confirmed yet.

        --
        HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

        Jason

        EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about

        On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago
        Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer." Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX
        was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2005
          Hi Harvey,

          - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
          - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
          - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
          - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
          - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
          - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
          - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

          - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

          I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
          Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
          some feedback, write me private eMail. Read the Information Clip
          on top for instructions. A few dozen have used it with success
          and no problems. I suggest that you only try it if you are very
          familiar with Windows Explorer in case something does glitch and
          you need to manually correct it. That is easy and I do have Clips
          in the Library to backup and to restore to Windows default.

          - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

          Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
          Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
          convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
          way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
          default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
          Utilities Library.

          - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

          The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
          Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
          the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
          from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
          restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
          those messages.)

          - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

          Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
          Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
          Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

          - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

          If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
          for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
          NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
          following:

          Add SendTo Shortcut
          Add to Edit HTML file type
          Add IE Default HTML Editor
          Restore IE Default HTML Editor

          If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
          Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
          it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

          - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

          You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
          Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
          discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
          at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
          List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
          about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
          only be used by experienced computer users.

          http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
          getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

          - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

          You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
          less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
          does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
          that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
          the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
          folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as
          well.)

          ..\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe
          ..\Windows\System32\dllcache\Notepad.exe
          ..\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
          ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

          There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
          or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
          add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
          executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

          [Application]
          ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

          >Can someone please update me on the position with
          >NoteTab running on SP2.
          >
          >I installed SP2 last year and found problems getting it
          >to replace Notepad.
          >
          >These were resolved except for one case - when I try to
          >
          >Believe it or not I find this feature so important that
          >I reverted back to SP1 for this one problem alone.
          >
          >I would be interested to know if there is any
          >workaround for this, or if it requires a new NoteTab
          >release, and any other known problems using NoteTab
          >with SP2

          Happy Tab'n,

        • harvsegal
          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2005
            Jody,

            Thanks.

            It seems that the clip
            "Add IE Default HTML Editor"

            solves the problem.

            Harvey

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
> [...]
            > add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
            > executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.
            >
            > [Application]
            > ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
            >

            > >Can someone please update me on the position with
            > >NoteTab running on SP2.
            > >
            > >I installed SP2 last year and found problems getting it
            > >to replace Notepad.
            > >
            > >These were resolved except for one case - when I try to
            > >
            > >Believe it or not I find this feature so important that
            > >I reverted back to SP1 for this one problem alone.
            > >
            > >I would be interested to know if there is any
            > >workaround for this, or if it requires a new NoteTab
            > >release, and any other known problems using NoteTab
            > >with SP2
            >

            > Happy Tab'n,
            > Jody Adair
            >
            > NoteTabbers Assistant Page Sojourners Software
          • Roy Herring
            Message 5 of 8 , May 24, 2005
              Has anyone found a way to make Notetab the default editor for files that
              have no extension?
              I was wondering if there was a way to "fool" it using this technique for
              txt:
              Options;Associations;type in txt and then click on the Add button.

              Thanks,
              Roy

> [...]
              >> add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
              >> executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.
              >>
              >> [Application]
              >> ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
              >>

              >> >Can someone please update me on the position with
              >> >NoteTab running on SP2.
              >> >
              >> >I installed SP2 last year and found problems getting it
              >> >to replace Notepad.
              >> >
              >> >These were resolved except for one case - when I try to
              >> >
              >> >Believe it or not I find this feature so important that
              >> >I reverted back to SP1 for this one problem alone.
              >> >
              >> >I would be interested to know if there is any
              >> >workaround for this, or if it requires a new NoteTab
              >> >release, and any other known problems using NoteTab
              >> >with SP2
              >>

              >> Happy Tab'n,
              >> Jody Adair
              >>
              >> NoteTabbers Assistant Page Sojourners Software

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24, 2005
                Roy:

                Not tested, but in other applications I've seen using just "." without
                quotes as the extension work. Might be worth a shot.

                Regards ... Alec
                --
                ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                Message 7 of 8 , May 24, 2005
                  Hi Roy,

                  Please discuss the following on the Off Topic list where I posted a
                  procedure to open any file in NoteTab from the main Windows Explorer
                  right click menu. I do not suggest you do this if you are not at least
                  a little bit familiar with the registry.

                  >Has anyone found a way to make Notetab the default editor for
                  >files that have no extension?
                  >I was wondering if there was a way to "fool" it using this
                  >technique for txt:
                  > Options;Associations;type in txt and then click on the Add button.

                  If you are comfortable with editing the registry manually or with a .reg file...

                  Sign up for the NoteTab Off Topic list and look for a message called:

                  Open Anything with NoteTab Pro

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                  This might get you there, <g>

                  You might want to click on the View Source link, select,
                  copy, paste in NoteTab. Check to make sure your browser
                  did not add spaces at the end of the lines and that the
                  lines did not get wrapped.

                  Happy Tab'n,