Re: [NTB] Re: Pasteboard beep - how to disable

  • Ben B
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18 8:58 PM
      On Wednesday, May 18, 2005
      Evelyn Barney wrote regarding "[NTB] Re: Pasteboard beep - how to disable";

      > I like the idea of a silent.wav - but isn't that easy enough to make? how
      > aobut just opening Audacity or the recorder of your choice, run it for a
      > second or two without makein any real sound - then save whatever file it
      > creates as silent.wav ? Just a thought - i have not tried it yet.

      Simpler than that, I would think. I just tried opening a new document in
      NoteTab and immediately saved it as "silent.wav", a zero-byte file.

      Media Player Classic merely said it could not render the file and Irfan
      View complained it was "not a valid metafile", but NoteTab took it in
      stride and uttered nary a word (nor beep, in this case).

      Incidently, on my system at least, leaving the "Paste Sound" field blank
      does not use the PC speaker but rather the "default beep" sound file.

      HTH
      Ben
    • bmckenna6
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20 11:29 AM
        Ben,

        Excellent suggestion on the sound file. Belongs in the great NoteTab
        Help.

        > Incidently, on my system at least, leaving the "Paste Sound" field
        blank
        > does not use the PC speaker but rather the "default beep" sound
        file.

        By 'PC speaker,' my guess is that you are referring to something like
        desktop speakers.

        All PCs come equipped with a speaker in its case which has to be
        connected to the mainboard. It is from this speaker that the default
        beep sounds forth. These built-in speakers (which can't be used by
        soundcards) have been getting smaller and smaller over the years. My
        newest one is so small it almost looks like nothing is there. Which
        is why 'so small' is perfect for the pipsqueak beep, if we let it be
        heard.

        I've never owned desktop/soundcard speakers specifically for my PCs.
        I have always connected my (onboard) soundcards directly to my stereo
        system.

        Perhaps that's why I was blissfully unoffended by no beep. I have my
        NoteTab Pro almost always open, with about 75 files open and
        accessible in Quick List, including one called PasteBoard.txt. My
        soundcard has been enabled for sometime, but my speakers (that input
        on my stereo receiver) are connected to another system which is the
        only one I use for any multimedia.

        I haven't heard a beep for a long time on this system and so I had
        need to reactivate the PC speaker (which evidently requires
        uninstalling the soundcard, though I'm not sure if that should make
        total sense) for reasons as I noted earlier.

        Thanks folks.

        Barry