RE: [NTB] Re: Pasteboard beep - how to disable

  • Evelyn Barney
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2005
      I like the idea of a silent.wav - but isn't that easy enough to make? how
      aobut just opening Audacity or the recorder of your choice, run it for a
      second or two without makein any real sound - then save whatever file it
      creates as silent.wav ? Just a thought - i have not tried it yet.

      Ev

      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2005
        On Wednesday, May 18, 2005
        Evelyn Barney wrote regarding "[NTB] Re: Pasteboard beep - how to disable";

        > I like the idea of a silent.wav - but isn't that easy enough to make? how
        > aobut just opening Audacity or the recorder of your choice, run it for a
        > second or two without makein any real sound - then save whatever file it
        > creates as silent.wav ? Just a thought - i have not tried it yet.

        Simpler than that, I would think. I just tried opening a new document in
        NoteTab and immediately saved it as "silent.wav", a zero-byte file.

        Media Player Classic merely said it could not render the file and Irfan
        View complained it was "not a valid metafile", but NoteTab took it in
        stride and uttered nary a word (nor beep, in this case).

        Incidently, on my system at least, leaving the "Paste Sound" field blank
        does not use the PC speaker but rather the "default beep" sound file.

        HTH
        Ben
      • bmckenna6
        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2005
          Ben,

          Excellent suggestion on the sound file. Belongs in the great NoteTab
          Help.

          > Incidently, on my system at least, leaving the "Paste Sound" field
          blank
          > does not use the PC speaker but rather the "default beep" sound
          file.

          By 'PC speaker,' my guess is that you are referring to something like
          desktop speakers.

          All PCs come equipped with a speaker in its case which has to be
          connected to the mainboard. It is from this speaker that the default
          beep sounds forth. These built-in speakers (which can't be used by
          soundcards) have been getting smaller and smaller over the years. My
          newest one is so small it almost looks like nothing is there. Which
          is why 'so small' is perfect for the pipsqueak beep, if we let it be
          heard.

          I've never owned desktop/soundcard speakers specifically for my PCs.
          I have always connected my (onboard) soundcards directly to my stereo
          system.

          Perhaps that's why I was blissfully unoffended by no beep. I have my
          NoteTab Pro almost always open, with about 75 files open and
          accessible in Quick List, including one called PasteBoard.txt. My
          soundcard has been enabled for sometime, but my speakers (that input
          on my stereo receiver) are connected to another system which is the
          only one I use for any multimedia.

          I haven't heard a beep for a long time on this system and so I had
          need to reactivate the PC speaker (which evidently requires
          uninstalling the soundcard, though I'm not sure if that should make
          total sense) for reasons as I noted earlier.

          Thanks folks.

          Barry