Re: [NTB] Pasteboard beep - how to disable

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2005
      Barry:

      > I have a 'Pastboard.txt' doc always open. Every time I copy text
      > this beeps as it mirrors the clipboard.
      >
      > Can this beep get silenced (optionally, of course)?

      In Options-Tools see the bottom option. Find or create a .WAV file that is
      silent and point to that.

      From HELP

      Paste Sound: Sound file to play when "Paste Board" receives text (uses PC
      speaker if left blank).
      <<

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2005
          I like the idea of a silent.wav - but isn't that easy enough to make? how
          aobut just opening Audacity or the recorder of your choice, run it for a
          second or two without makein any real sound - then save whatever file it
          creates as silent.wav ? Just a thought - i have not tried it yet.

          Ev

          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2005
            On Wednesday, May 18, 2005
            Evelyn Barney wrote regarding "[NTB] Re: Pasteboard beep - how to disable";

            > I like the idea of a silent.wav - but isn't that easy enough to make? how
            > aobut just opening Audacity or the recorder of your choice, run it for a
            > second or two without makein any real sound - then save whatever file it
            > creates as silent.wav ? Just a thought - i have not tried it yet.

            Simpler than that, I would think. I just tried opening a new document in
            NoteTab and immediately saved it as "silent.wav", a zero-byte file.

            Media Player Classic merely said it could not render the file and Irfan
            View complained it was "not a valid metafile", but NoteTab took it in
            stride and uttered nary a word (nor beep, in this case).

            Incidently, on my system at least, leaving the "Paste Sound" field blank
            does not use the PC speaker but rather the "default beep" sound file.

            HTH
            Ben
          • bmckenna6
            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2005
              Ben,

              Excellent suggestion on the sound file. Belongs in the great NoteTab
              Help.

              > Incidently, on my system at least, leaving the "Paste Sound" field
              blank
              > does not use the PC speaker but rather the "default beep" sound
              file.

              By 'PC speaker,' my guess is that you are referring to something like
              desktop speakers.

              All PCs come equipped with a speaker in its case which has to be
              connected to the mainboard. It is from this speaker that the default
              beep sounds forth. These built-in speakers (which can't be used by
              soundcards) have been getting smaller and smaller over the years. My
              newest one is so small it almost looks like nothing is there. Which
              is why 'so small' is perfect for the pipsqueak beep, if we let it be
              heard.

              I've never owned desktop/soundcard speakers specifically for my PCs.
              I have always connected my (onboard) soundcards directly to my stereo
              system.

              Perhaps that's why I was blissfully unoffended by no beep. I have my
              NoteTab Pro almost always open, with about 75 files open and
              accessible in Quick List, including one called PasteBoard.txt. My
              soundcard has been enabled for sometime, but my speakers (that input
              on my stereo receiver) are connected to another system which is the
              only one I use for any multimedia.

              I haven't heard a beep for a long time on this system and so I had
              need to reactivate the PC speaker (which evidently requires
              uninstalling the soundcard, though I'm not sure if that should make
              total sense) for reasons as I noted earlier.

              Thanks folks.

              Barry