Launch Apps Via Hyperlink

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hi Group,

      I want to launch an application called "xyz" from a hyperlink within an
      outline document.

      Here's my hyperlink:

      [cmd.exe "C:\Program Files\xyz\ xyz.exe"]

      NoteTab just opens a DOS window with the C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro folder
      open.

      Of course, I tried all of the variations shown in Help, and I did experiment
      with placement of the double quotes, but no joy. (...and I thought I
      understood this stuff.)

      Please tell me how to write a hyperlink that will launch an application from
      within an outline document.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Alan G
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        On Mon, 04 Apr 2005, R Shapp <ras45@...> wrote in part:

        > I want to launch an application called "xyz" from a hyperlink within an
        > outline document.
        >
        > Here's my hyperlink:
        >
        > [cmd.exe "C:\Program Files\xyz\ xyz.exe"]
        >
        > NoteTab just opens a DOS window with the C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro folder
        > open.

        I don't know enough to be able to tell you if this is your only problem
        or not but there certainly should NOT be a <space> between the last
        back-slash and the program file name. So try:

        [cmd.exe "C:\Program Files\xyz\xyz.exe"]

        Alan G
      • dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
          Hi
          I think something like this should work [C:\IrfanView\i_view32.exe] that
          works from within an OTL.
          thankyou dave
          > I want to launch an application called "xyz" from a hyperlink within an
          > outline document.
          >
          > Here's my hyperlink:
          >
          > [cmd.exe "C:\Program Files\xyz\ xyz.exe"]
          >
          > NoteTab just opens a DOS window with the C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro
          > folder
          > open.
          >
          > Of course, I tried all of the variations shown in Help, and I did
          > experiment
          > with placement of the double quotes, but no joy. (...and I thought I
          > understood this stuff.)
          >
          > Please tell me how to write a hyperlink that will launch an application
          > from
          > within an outline document.
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
            Hi Alan G and Dave,

            Thanks for the replies.

            One of my first tries did not have the space between folder name and file
            name.

            Another one of my first tries was simply [C:\Program Files\xyz\xyz.exe]

            That doesn't launch xyz.exe. It opens xyz.exe as a text file (with lots of
            binary character substitutions).

            Here's a hyperlink I wrote several months ago which *does* work. It opens a
            spreadsheet with the abc.xls spreadsheet displayed.

            [cmd.exe /c start C:\NJAA\public_html\QOs\"abc.xls"]

            When I try to use the line above as a template for launching xyz.exe, A DOS
            window opens showing the most recently visited folder and an error message
            saying Windows cannot locate "C:\Program".

            The blank in the folder name, "Program Files" is causing the problem. I've
            tried double quotes in a variety of configurations with no joy.

            Any more suggestions?

            Ray Shapp
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
              R Shapp wrote:

              > Hi Alan G and Dave,
              >
              > Thanks for the replies.
              >
              > One of my first tries did not have the space between folder name and file
              > name.
              >
              > Another one of my first tries was simply [C:\Program Files\xyz\xyz.exe]
              >
              > [cmd.exe /c start C:\NJAA\public_html\QOs\"abc.xls"]
              >

              > Any more suggestions?
              >
              > Ray Shapp

              "C:\Program Files\xyz\xyz.exe"

              ºvº
              05.04.05
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • R Shapp
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
                HS

                <<"C:\Program Files\xyz\xyz.exe">>

                That's is the one permutation I didn't try.

                Works great!

                Thank you,

                Ray Shapp