Re: [NTB] Problem with NTL

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2005
      Hi jrosen2,

      Try getting the program where you want it, and then...

      I've never had that setup so I don't know how to replicate the
      problem. However, follow the following directions for whatever
      NoteTab window you need to be in a certain position. The
      following is for a single monitor, but others with your setup,
      multiple monitors, have got it to work successfully.

      Please do the following:
      1. Resize and adjust the program window where you want it.
      2. Click on the program icon located on Titlebar (upper left).
      3. Uncheck "Open Centered" if checked.
      4. Click on the program icon again.
      5. Click on "Save Window State" (which does not get a check mark).
      6. Restart NoteTab at this time.

      Tip: You can right click on the Titlebar for the same menu as above
      or press the Alt key and then the spacebar while holding Alt down
      (Alt+Spacebar). Simply pressing Alt alone will collapse the menu
      once opened or clicking in a "non-clickable" area of your screen.

      -Also, Replace/Restore MS Notepad from the Help menu does not work
      in Win2000 and XP SP2 without manual intervention. The following
      is discussion and procedures about getting Replace/Restore MS
      Notepad to work and alternative methods.

      - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
      - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
      - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
      - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
      - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
      - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
      - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

      - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

      I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
      Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
      some feedback, you'll need to write me in private eMail to send
      you the Library. A few dozen have used it with success and no
      problems. I suggest that you only try it if you are very familiar
      with Windows Explorer in case something does glitch and you need
      to manually correct it. That is easy and I do have Clips in the
      Library to backup and to restore to Windows default.

      - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

      Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
      Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
      convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
      way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
      default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
      Utilities Library.

      - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

      The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
      Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
      the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
      from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
      restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
      those messages.)

      - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

      Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
      Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
      Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

      - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

      If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
      for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
      NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
      following:

      Add SendTo Shortcut
      Add to Edit HTML file type
      Add IE Default HTML Editor
      Restore IE Default HTML Editor

      If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
      Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
      it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

      - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

      You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
      Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
      discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
      at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
      List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
      about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
      only be used by experienced computer users.

      either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
      _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

      Clips or Scripts list for them.

      are for discussion of those programs.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      lists.

      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
      getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

      - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

      You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
      less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
      does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
      that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
      the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
      folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as
      well.)

      ..\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe
      ..\Windows\System32\dllcache\Notepad.exe
      ..\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
      ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

      There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
      or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
      add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
      executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

      [Application]
      ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

      >I am having the following problems:
      >1: I cannot replace windows notpad. I get the appropriate screens but
      >on restarting notetab, I am still offered to replace notepad in the
      >windows menu.
      >
      >2: I have 2 screens. Notetab always defaults to the wrong screen. I
      >would like it to appear only on screen 2, but it always appears on
      >screen 1, whether the check box for remember last position and size is
      >checked or not.
      >
      >I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no change. For a flash it
      >appears on the correct screen and then moves to the incorrect one. I
      >have changed the .ini file (windowstate to 1), but it opens minimized
      >and then when restored it goes to the proper window, but on closing
      >and reopening the program, it overwrites the .ini file and it opens
      >again on the wrong window.
      >
      >Any suggestions?

      Happy Clip'n!