Page scraping?

  • xyz7769
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
      Is clip programming capable of scraping web pages? I want to read a
      page, scan for certain data, extract the data to a disk file, drill
      down from link to link, etc.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
        Hi xyz7769,

        >Is clip programming capable of scraping web pages? I want to
        >read a page, scan for certain data, extract the data to a disk
        >file, drill down from link to link, etc.

        You need to ask that on the NoteTab HTML list. Some of them might
        know what language you are speaking. :-) The Clip Code is very
        powerful: you can extract lines, between tags, links,
        directories/subs, all kinds of stuff. The answer to your question
        is probably yes, it can. But, you need to sign up for the Clips
        list and/or the HTML list; the Clips list might be better, but
        you may need to reword what you want to do a little clearer.
        Please read the following...

        either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.

        _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up to see what
        list to send messages to; it is very important and please also
        use a descriptive Subject: line! Delete text from your replies
        that is not needed to understand your reply and keep the
        conversation clean! :)

        Clips or Scripts list for them.

        are for discussion of those programs.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        lists.

        Fookes Software Home Page via Jody'$ affiliate link:
        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
        getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

        Happy Clip'n!

      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi xyz7769,
          >>Is clip programming capable of scraping web pages? I want to
          >>read a page, scan for certain data, extract the data to a disk
          >>file, drill down from link to link, etc.

          If you are manually looking at the pages, you can turn on paste to
          clipboard feature and copy everything you want that way. Under document
          use as pasteboard. Everything you copy will then be put in the open
          document.

          For a more advanced procedure, as Jody said, go to the clips list.

          Don