Keep A Log (aka logging, aka logs)

  • onchristthesolidrock
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      I was interested in trying the logging mechanism but haven't been
      able to make this work. ( using light 4.95)

      DOC SAYS:
      You can keep a log by using the same method as Notepad. Just
      add ".LOG" on the first line (without the quotation marks) and every
      time you open such a document, the editor will append the current
      date and time (as specified by your computer's clock).

      Do I make a file something like this:
      -----------cut------------------------
      .log
      this is some text in the file
      this is the last line of the file
      -----------cut------------------------

      then save the file,
      then reopen the file and edit it,
      then see a file created in same directory with .log extension?

      That doesn't seem to work.
      Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        Hi onchristthesolidrock,

        :-)

        >I was interested in trying the logging mechanism but haven't been
        >able to make this work. ( using light 4.95)
        >
        >DOC SAYS:
        >You can keep a log by using the same method as Notepad. Just
        >add ".LOG" on the first line (without the quotation marks) and every
        >time you open such a document, the editor will append the current
        >date and time (as specified by your computer's clock).

        Just put ".log" without the quotes on the first line of a file.
        Save it with any name and extension you want. MyLog.txt ;)

        When the file is opened it will insert the date according to your
        date filter in NoteTab's Options under the Tools menu. You can
        press F1 or Help to get detailed information on the date filters
        to use. I think to use the system clock it is ^C or C^ or C. <g>
        I write a lot of Clips so I used this when I press F5.

        "; Last updated on "mm-dd-yyyy" by Jody Adair <Jody@...>"
        Quotes go around regular text, not the date filter.

        Anyway, once the .log date stamps when opened, you need to save
        the file and use the Reload Document tool to get another date
        stamp. I find F5 easier. :)

        >Do I make a file something like this:
        >.log

        Happy Tab'n,