Trying to get NoteTab to replace M$ Notepad

  • essinger2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have been trying to get NoteTab to replace M$ Notepad program to
      edit HTML source code. When right clicking on a web page in Explorer,
      and choosing view source - I always get M$ Notepad. I have tried
      several ways to make windows use NoteTab instead of Notepad. The
      Internet options programs show NoteTab Pro as the program for HTML
      source code.

      I have used the Help>Replace MS Notepad option several times, but the
      change does not stick. It never asks me to change back to MS Notepad,
      so it seems like the change has never been made.

      I have go to the folders options and changed .htm and .html file types
      to be edited with NoteTab Pro, but it still does not bring up NoteTab
      Pro. Always with the crippled Notpad peice of junk.

      Any thoughts, helps???

      Thanks

      Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Jim,

        This is for WinXP users, but some of it applies to all versions of Windows.

        - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
        - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
        - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
        - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
        - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
        - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
        - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

        - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

        I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
        Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
        some feedback, write me a private eMail. Read the Information
        Clip on top for instructions. A few dozen have used it with
        success and no problems. I suggest that you only try it if you
        are very familiar with Windows Explorer in case something does
        glitch and you need to manually correct it. That is easy and I do
        have Clips in the Library to backup and to restore to Windows
        default.

        - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

        Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
        Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
        convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
        way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
        default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
        Utilities Library. (See below for more information.)

        - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

        The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
        Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
        the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
        from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
        restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
        those messages.)

        - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

        Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
        Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
        Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

        - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

        If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
        for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
        NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
        following:

        Add SendTo Shortcut
        Add to Edit HTML file type
        Add IE Default HTML Editor
        Restore IE Default HTML Editor

        If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
        Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
        it like in a ReadMe file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

        - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

        You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
        Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
        discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
        at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
        List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
        about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
        only be used by experienced computer users.

        either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
        _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

        Clips or Scripts list for them.

        are for discussion of those programs.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        lists.

        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
        getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

        - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

        You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
        less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
        does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
        that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
        the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
        folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as
        well.)

        ..\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe
        ..\Windows\System32\dllcache\Notepad.exe
        ..\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
        ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

        There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
        or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
        add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
        executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

        [Application]
        ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

        >I have been trying to get NoteTab to replace M$ Notepad program to
        >edit HTML source code. When right clicking on a web page in Explorer,
        >and choosing view source - I always get M$ Notepad. I have tried
        >several ways to make windows use NoteTab instead of Notepad. The
        >Internet options programs show NoteTab Pro as the program for HTML
        >source code.
        >
        >I have used the Help>Replace MS Notepad option several times, but the
        >change does not stick. It never asks me to change back to MS Notepad,
        >so it seems like the change has never been made.
        >
        >I have go to the folders options and changed .htm and .html file types
        >to be edited with NoteTab Pro, but it still does not bring up NoteTab
        >Pro. Always with the crippled Notpad peice of junk.

        Happy Tab'n,

      • John Morse
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
          I would highly recommend replacing your browser with
          Maxthon tabbed browser.
          http://www.maxthon.com

          With the included "view source" plugin, It will allow you to view
          source on any page, even those that are trying to keep you from seeing
          the source, and it will even allow you to specify what editor you wish
          to use.

          Tuesday, March 1, 2005, 11:03:41 AM, you wrote:
          essinger2001> I have been trying to get NoteTab to
          essinger2001> replace M$ Notepad program to
          essinger2001> edit HTML source code. When right
          essinger2001> clicking on a web page in Explorer,
          essinger2001> and choosing view source - I always get
          essinger2001> M$ Notepad. I have tried
          essinger2001> several ways to make windows use NoteTab
          essinger2001> instead of Notepad. The
          essinger2001> Internet options programs show NoteTab
          essinger2001> Pro as the program for HTML
          essinger2001> source code.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
            essinger2001 wrote:
            >I have been trying to get NoteTab to replace M$ Notepad program to
            >edit HTML source code. When right clicking on a web page in Explorer,
            >and choosing view source - I always get M$ Notepad.

            If you don't mind doing it the easy way... ^_^
            <http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/>

            I'm not on XP myself but from what I've heard there are no problems.

            Lotta
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
              Hi
              have you tried right click open with and when it asks what to open with you
              find NTP and select always in the box . My open with has about five
              programs.
              you have to edit the registry to change the other "edit with notepad" and
              source.

              THANKYOU DAVE in au