Re: [NTB] EWinError while loading up NoteTabPro

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Wayland,

      >I have not written this list in a couple of years. This morning
      >I encountered a problem while loading up NoteTab Pro. The
      >application simply will not run. It went something like this:
      >
      >EWin32Error in module NOTEPRO.EXE at 0000E0C3. A Win32 API
      >function failed.
      >
      >Jody, perhaps you know about this, or might have heard. I have
      >copied this email to Eric. If he does not get this, perhaps you
      >could ask him what I should do. Eric, if you do get this, since
      >this is your program, maybe you can tell me what to do. I really
      >need to be able to use Note Tab Pro.

      Those errors are usually due to low resources. Sometimes they
      may be caused by certain file(s). It/they may open fine a few at
      a time, but when trying to load them all on startup is a
      different matter. If you get error messages like Win32 API,
      TClipbookList, Exception EWin32Error, NoteTab freezes, or seems
      to freeze up (which might be loading many MB) sometimes it can
      happen on startup because you had too many large documents to
      reload from when you last had NoteTab open. (Sometimes a reboot
      takes care of it if you have not done that yet, or closing other
      programs that may open when you start up Windows.)

      You may need to remove the files from NoteTab Pro's ini file;
      NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Try opening an editor that
      will read text documents like Notepad or Wordpad and open
      NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Scroll down till you get
      to the [Autoload] section and remove all the paths to the files
      to reload on startup. You might want to try it from a fresh
      Windows boot up as well. You can copy the file paths/names so
      that you can open the same files again easier when you get
      NoteTab running.

      You may edit the INI file inside NoteTab if you are able to open
      it. Simply save the file with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini
      or !NoteTab.ini; Pro or Std/Light respectively) in front of it
      and restart NoteTab. Some programs have memory leaks in them as
      well as some Windows versions like WinME/Win98. Some programs do
      not release all the memory they were using while open. That can
      add up to not having enough memory for programs to start causing
      all kinds of errors.

      More information about memory:

      Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
      Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
      storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
      resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
      space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
      happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
      showing no icons.

      Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
      more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
      Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
      RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
      occupy the third type of memory.

      Some things in NoteTab can cause extra memory to be used are:
      Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
      of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

      A large Undo limit size. What is considered large is largely
      dependant on how many documents you open. Should rarely be a
      problem if you open less than 50 documents at a time.

      Happy Tab'n,