EWinError while loading up NoteTabPro

  • wayland
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have not written this list in a couple of years. This morning I
      encountered a problem while loading up NoteTab Pro. The application simply
      will not run. It went something like this:

      EWin32Error in module NOTEPRO.EXE at 0000E0C3. A Win32 API function failed.

      Jody, perhaps you know about this, or might have heard. I have copied this
      email to Eric. If he does not get this, perhaps you could ask him what I
      should do. Eric, if you do get this, since this is your program, maybe you
      can tell me what to do. I really need to be able to use Note Tab Pro.

      Thanks,

      Wayland Fowler
      wayland@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Wayland,

        >I have not written this list in a couple of years. This morning
        >I encountered a problem while loading up NoteTab Pro. The
        >application simply will not run. It went something like this:
        >
        >EWin32Error in module NOTEPRO.EXE at 0000E0C3. A Win32 API
        >function failed.
        >
        >Jody, perhaps you know about this, or might have heard. I have
        >copied this email to Eric. If he does not get this, perhaps you
        >could ask him what I should do. Eric, if you do get this, since
        >this is your program, maybe you can tell me what to do. I really
        >need to be able to use Note Tab Pro.

        Those errors are usually due to low resources. Sometimes they
        may be caused by certain file(s). It/they may open fine a few at
        a time, but when trying to load them all on startup is a
        different matter. If you get error messages like Win32 API,
        TClipbookList, Exception EWin32Error, NoteTab freezes, or seems
        to freeze up (which might be loading many MB) sometimes it can
        happen on startup because you had too many large documents to
        reload from when you last had NoteTab open. (Sometimes a reboot
        takes care of it if you have not done that yet, or closing other
        programs that may open when you start up Windows.)

        You may need to remove the files from NoteTab Pro's ini file;
        NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Try opening an editor that
        will read text documents like Notepad or Wordpad and open
        NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Scroll down till you get
        to the [Autoload] section and remove all the paths to the files
        to reload on startup. You might want to try it from a fresh
        Windows boot up as well. You can copy the file paths/names so
        that you can open the same files again easier when you get
        NoteTab running.

        You may edit the INI file inside NoteTab if you are able to open
        it. Simply save the file with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini
        or !NoteTab.ini; Pro or Std/Light respectively) in front of it
        and restart NoteTab. Some programs have memory leaks in them as
        well as some Windows versions like WinME/Win98. Some programs do
        not release all the memory they were using while open. That can
        add up to not having enough memory for programs to start causing
        all kinds of errors.

        More information about memory:

        Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
        Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
        storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
        resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
        space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
        happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
        showing no icons.

        Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
        more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
        Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
        RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
        occupy the third type of memory.

        Some things in NoteTab can cause extra memory to be used are:
        Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
        of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

        A large Undo limit size. What is considered large is largely
        dependant on how many documents you open. Should rarely be a
        problem if you open less than 50 documents at a time.

        Happy Tab'n,