Re: [NTB] (unknown)

  • spam@digitalcircle.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11, 2005
      That's disappointing to hear. Especially when Ultraedit, WordPad, and even
      Notepad has no trouble keeping em-dashes the way they are when copied in.

    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11, 2005
        >> That's disappointing to hear. Especially when Ultraedit, WordPad, and even
        >> Notepad has no trouble keeping em-dashes the way they are when copied in.

        From your description, copying is as you wish it to be, unless Word is involved. Is that correct?

        Word is very likely to have its own way of displaying em-dashes, not compatible with anything else.

        Bruce

        ---------

        When I'm copying (when I copy) text from MS Word into NoteTab, em dashes get turned into

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2005
          Quoting bruce.somers@...:

          > >> That's disappointing to hear. Especially when Ultraedit, WordPad, and
          > even
          > >> Notepad has no trouble keeping em-dashes the way they are when copied
          > in.
          >
          > From your description, copying is as you wish it to be, unless Word is
          > involved. Is that correct?
          >
          > Word is very likely to have its own way of displaying em-dashes, not
          > compatible with anything else.

          That's very possible. Word does do things like change ellipses ... to three
          small dots packed closer together instead of three separate dots. NoteTab
          recognizes that as well as smart quotes (curly directional) vs. straight
          quotes. It just somehow falls short with em dashes.