Re: [NTB] Intro

  • rosie81286
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10 6:11 PM
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
      wrote:

      > Graham Briggs wrote:
      > You will like a lot of things in the paid version. Spring for it.
      Line
      > numbering and multiple levels of undo are two of my favorite
      features in
      > pro. You can see all the features (and a few that are better in

      Graham,
      My version of notetabe pro 4.95 does not have multiple undos or at
      least it doesn't work.
      any idea why or if there is a setting somewhere that turns it on/off?

      thanks
      rosie
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10 6:21 PM
        rosie81286 wrote:

        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >>Graham Briggs wrote:
        >>You will like a lot of things in the paid version. Spring for it.
        >
        > Line
        >
        >>numbering and multiple levels of undo are two of my favorite
        >
        > features in
        >
        >>pro. You can see all the features (and a few that are better in
        >

        > Graham,
        > My version of notetabe pro 4.95 does not have multiple undos or at
        > least it doesn't work.
        > any idea why or if there is a setting somewhere that turns it on/off?
        If you have NoteTab Pro (the paid version) multiple undo are automatic.
        If you paid, I suspect you somehow didn't get installed correctly. I
        love multiple undo's I might add. I would buy it for this reason
        alone. You should have them also if you have the test version running I
        think.
      • rosie81286
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10 6:25 PM
          wrote:
          > If you have NoteTab Pro (the paid version) multiple undo are
          automatic.
          > If you paid, I suspect you somehow didn't get installed
          correctly. I
          > love multiple undo's I might add. I would buy it for this reason
          > alone. You should have them also if you have the test version
          running I
          > think.

          i have the paid version. i have just emailed jody too.
          seems nobody in the gorup has this same issue (i searched the
          archive).

          i believe notetab was intslled properly but awhile back some wierd
          thing was happening in the ini file so who knows.

          i've actually never had the multpile undo - redo function working.
        • David R. Hanson
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 29, 2005
            Hi Jody,

            Any updates? I've been very happy with NP pro for years, but no
            updates in 2+ years isn't a good sign...

            It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
            board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

            Thanks, Dave

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
            > Hi Graham,
            >
            > >Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and have managed
            > >to get my boss to consider purchasing it for our PC Support team,
            > >the only question is, is it still under active development? Seems
            > >like a long time since 4.95.
            >
            > Yes, it is, although we have not been able to get back to
            > upgrading it as soon as we had hoped for. Be assured that it is
            > not abandoned though.
            >
            > Happy Tab'n,
            > Jody Adair
            >
            > NoteTabbers Assistant Page Sojourners Software
            > http://www.notetab.net http://www.sojourner.us/software
            > http://www.fookes.us http://www.clean-funnies.com
          • John Mitchell
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 29, 2005
              Amen!

              Regards, John M

              David R. Hanson wrote:

              > snip..
              >
              > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
              > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
              >
              > Thanks, Dave
              >
              > ..snip
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 30, 2005
                Hi Jody,

                > Amen!
                >
                > Regards, John M
                >
                > David R. Hanson wrote:
                >
                > > snip..
                > >
                > > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
                > > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

                No NEVER! NoteTab is a text editor. YahooGroup mail lists allow me to
                receive everything in plain text too! Entirely appropriate!

                Message Boards on web sites tend to become full of hideous graphical
                clutter, are unusable if you are connecting via a mobile phone at 9.6kbps,
                rather than the luxury of broadband, which I don't have even when connected
                via land line.

                YahooGroup mail lists, especially when set up like this one (attachments
                banned - so I don't get all that HTML garbage) and with my personal setting
                of "Do not convert to HTML" (so I'm not even forced to get graphical adverts
                added back onto the plain text messages the list naturally provides) are
                ideal. The prospect of a Web-based message board appals! For those that
                like web-based message boards surely there's the web interface at
                YahooGroups to do the job?

                I've set replies to go to the Off-topic list, but I fancy YahooGroups strips
                that instruction out - but please reply to the off-topic list anyway! (I'm
                sure Jody would appreciate it!)

                Greg
              • prog@lomascentral.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 30, 2005
                  I really hope this doesn't happen!

                  This group is convenient it delivers the messages to my inbox, I can
                  delete the ones I'm not interested in bulk and see at a glance what's there.

                  If it moves to a web based message board I have to go to the trouble of
                  figure out if there;s anything I'm interested in ....

                  These messages I scan daily, web based boards I'd probably not get round
                  to looking at, they're a pain, inefficient (as far as my time is
                  concerned) and get on my nerves.

                  They also have a habit of being poorly designed and inefficient to use
                  if I do make the effort of looking. They're designed (by the look of it,
                  probably not all but most of the ones I've seen) by those who are more
                  interested in look and feel than ease of use..

                  As you may have figured out by this stage, I don;t like them :-)

                  Tim

                  David R. Hanson wrote:
                  > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
                  > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 30, 2005
                    Tim,

                    I agree. I have inadvertently learn a great deal about NoteTab and clips by
                    way of this list. A message board just doesn't give the options as you
                    described them. Sometimes simple things work much better.

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                      Hi Greg,

                      I don't know what message boards you've frequented in the past, but
                      they must have been poorly run. The worries you share (bloated
                      graphics, ads, etc.) are easily surmountable.

                      As it stands, there is no efficient way to see what different topics
                      have been posted, or to follow a thread, or to send private messages,
                      or to cooperatively build FAQs, or do see if other questions have been
                      asked and answered. A respectable discussion board would do all of
                      this and more. Indeed, if you don't like ads and bloat, you should
                      FAVOR such a change, since currently, we have to put up with whatever
                      overhead and bloat that yahoo wants to send our way.

                      (Alas, none of the replies on this subject have been transferred to
                      OT...in any case, it doesn't seem OT to me?)

                      Any other updates on development timetables? I love this product, and
                      would gladly spread the word and push for its adoption by others if
                      it was clear it was still actively pursued by its able authors...

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:
                      > Hi Jody,
                      >
                      > > Amen!
                      > >
                      > > Regards, John M
                      > >
                      > > David R. Hanson wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > snip..
                      > > >
                      > > > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real
                      message
                      > > > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
                      >
                      > No NEVER! NoteTab is a text editor. YahooGroup mail lists allow me to
                      > receive everything in plain text too! Entirely appropriate!
                      >
                      > Message Boards on web sites tend to become full of hideous graphical
                      > clutter, are unusable if you are connecting via a mobile phone at
                      9.6kbps,
                      > rather than the luxury of broadband, which I don't have even when
                      connected
                      > via land line.
                      >
                      > YahooGroup mail lists, especially when set up like this one (attachments
                      > banned - so I don't get all that HTML garbage) and with my personal
                      setting
                      > of "Do not convert to HTML" (so I'm not even forced to get graphical
                      adverts
                      > added back onto the plain text messages the list naturally provides) are
                      > ideal. The prospect of a Web-based message board appals! For those
                      that
                      > like web-based message boards surely there's the web interface at
                      > YahooGroups to do the job?
                      >
                      > I've set replies to go to the Off-topic list, but I fancy
                      YahooGroups strips
                      > that instruction out - but please reply to the off-topic list
                      anyway! (I'm
                      > sure Jody would appreciate it!)
                      >
                      > Greg
                    • Greg Chapman
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
                        Hi Dave,

                        > (Alas, none of the replies on this subject have been transferred to
                        > OT...in any case, it doesn't seem OT to me?)

                        Well, it's not "basic use of NoteTab" so I've replied on the off-topic list!

                        Greg
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 15, 2005
                          Hi David, Greg, John, and anybody else reading...

                          The forum vs yahoogroups topic needs to go to the off topic list
                          after this which I copied this reply. (Oh, I see you did bring it
                          over there after all. I'm still cleaning out many hundreds of
                          messages in my inbox (private, not support) from my 3 week
                          vacation.)

                          >Any updates? I've been very happy with NP pro for years, but no
                          >updates in 2+ years isn't a good sign...

                          It isn't a bad sign either; the answer is still the same as
                          below. I can assure you that someday we will indeed upgrade
                          NoteTab. It was still voted People's Choice again at the SIC
                          awards convention for shareware for some 7-8 years now only
                          missing one year in a row. Fookes Software is Eric Fookes and
                          myself. Eric does what he needs to do for the company, his
                          livelihood, family time, etc. Unfortunately, only so much can be
                          done, but we will eventually get to NoteTab.

                          >It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real
                          >message board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

                          I don't mean to sound to cold and rude below, but want to make my
                          point/stance on the issue perfectly clear! :-)

                          Sorry, but that is out of the question - it will not happen.
                          Yahoogroups has served us well, has enough features, etc. Sure,
                          it could be better, more sophisticated and so on, but the way it
                          is has served us well for many years. Most forums do not have
                          eMail delivery either, are much slower to use for me anyway, and
                          until discussion mailing list are phased out (if ever), a forum
                          would be the very last thing I would resort to. I would probably
                          spend a few thousand $$$ on my own mail server and account, etc.
                          before using a forum for the lists.

                          >>> Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and have
                          >>> managed to get my boss to consider purchasing it for our PC
                          >>> Support team, the only question is, is it still under active
                          >>> development? Seems like a long time since 4.95.
                          >>
                          >> Yes, it is, although we have not been able to get back to
                          >> upgrading it as soon as we had hoped for. Be assured that it is
                          >> not abandoned though.

                          Happy Tab'n,