  • spam@digitalcircle.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10 7:16 AM
      I've been trying out NoteTab as a notepad replacement and have run into a
      problem. Maybe I'm missing something...

      When I'm copying text from MS Word into NoteTab, em dashes get turned regular
      dashes. On the other hand, it copies in fine going from a webpage into
      NoteTab. Em dashes remain em dashes in that case.

      This is important because writers use Word to go through the editing process.
      I then copy it into a text editor and HTML mark up simple stuff like bolds and
      italics before copying that into a content database that the website draws
      from. They seem to get really touchy about their em dashes and en dashes.
      Notepad seemed to copy in from Word fine with the various dashes (not a
      surprise considering the vendor).

      Anyway, any thoughts?

      Han
    • Pete Hoyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11 10:07 AM
        I tried to reproduce this, but it works OK for me. I don't use Word, but I've created files using both Notepad and Wordpad that have en and em dashes in them. With Notepad, I saved the file both as Ansi and as Unicode. I loaded both of them into NoteTab and they came with the em and en dashes. The Unicode version was read-only in NoteTab.

        With Wordpad, which is a word processor similar to Word (i.e. it is not a text editor like NoteTab and NotePad), I copied the text including the en and em dashes to the Windows clipboard and then pasted it into NoteTab (both with the pasteboard function and with an explicit paste), and in all cases the en and em dashes were there in NoteTab.

        I inserted the dashes both with the Windows Character Map accessory and with Alt+0150 and Alt+0151 on the keypad; the result was the same.

        I don't know if there are any NoteTab settings that might affect this behavior. Could you describe an exact set of steps that would let us reproduce your problem? Can you post a small test Word file somewhere that has en and em dashes that do not paste into NoteTab for you?

        Oh, what exactly do you mean by "regular dashes"? The usual terminology is that there are en dashes, em dashes, and the common ascii character known as hyphen or minus. I presume that last is what your en dashes turn into.

        Do my experiments give any clues to the NoteTab experts?

        --
        Pete Hoyle - via ACM forwarding - hoylesp@...
      • spam@digitalcircle.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11 2:28 PM
          Okay. Try this: http://www.publicintegrity.org/docs/onegroup.doc
          It's a Word 2003 file. One paragraph that has 2 em dashes and one regular dash
          (minus sign).

          What I typically do is select the text from Word. right-click Copy. Go to
          NoteTab. right-click paste.

          Yep, just tested the character map and it copies into NoteTab fine too. One
          thing I just noticed is, I went from Word -> WordPad -> NoteTab and the dashes
          copied correctly.

          -Han