Re: Double click selecting trailing space

  • hoolan9
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
      >If you only want
      > the word selected, just hold down the Alt key while you double click on
      > the word.

      Oh, that's it! Thanks so much. It "sticks" too, once you double-click
      with the alt key it stays that way. Very cool.

      > What is the harm of drag and drop?

      No harm, just for me I find I much more often want to re-select than
      drag the selected text, so I have to click somewhere else to deselect
      then click-and-drag again. Probably an "old school" thing. I think it
      would be great if that was optional.
    • Alan G
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
        On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "hoolan9" <bruce@...> wrote in part:

        > > What is the harm of drag and drop?
        >
        > No harm, just for me I find I much more often want to re-select than
        > drag the selected text, so I have to click somewhere else to deselect
        > then click-and-drag again.

        Yes! I thought I was the only one muttering under my breath every time
        I want to select a smaller range inside a current selection.
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005

          > > What is the harm of drag and drop?
          >
          > No harm, just for me I find I much more often want to re-select than
          > drag the selected text, so I have to click somewhere else to deselect
          > then click-and-drag again. Probably an "old school" thing. I think it
          > would be great if that was optional.

          Why don't you just click onze at the spot from where you want to reselect
          the text (do not move the mouse and click again...) and start dragging from
          there?

          Hugo
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
            Alan G wrote:
            > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "hoolan9" <bruce@...> wrote in part:
            >

            >>>What is the harm of drag and drop?
            >>
            >>No harm, just for me I find I much more often want to re-select than
            >>drag the selected text, so I have to click somewhere else to deselect
            >>then click-and-drag again.
            >

            > Yes! I thought I was the only one muttering under my breath every time
            > I want to select a smaller range inside a current selection.

            If you click in a selection, when you release, it unselects the section.
            You don't have to click anywhere else. You can then reselect. I can
            see where allowing the two things you mention to be toggled preferences
            might be nice as we all work different, but if you do it as I suggest
            (alt + double click for the word without trailing space and click /
            release/ reselect to avoid drag and drop) it will soon become second
            nature to you.

            Anyway, I learned two things I didn't know before as a result of your
            question, so thanks for asking it!
          • Bruce Quackenbush
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
              > If you click in a selection, when you release, it unselects the
              section.
              > You don't have to click anywhere else.

              Yup, it's a small thing, no doubt. But it's the small things that
              separate perfect software from slightly less than perfect. When you do
              something 500 times per day...

              Looking forward to ver. 5.0, I have faith in the good folks at Fookes!

              > Anyway, I learned two things I didn't know before as a result of your
              > question, so thanks for asking it!

              My pleasure! Thanks to all for answering!