Double-clicking files won't open in NT

  • Dianne Reuby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005
      I'm running NoteTab Light on XP HE SP2. In the last few days, if I
      double-click a text file in My Docs, and NT is already open, the focus
      changes to NT but the file doesn't load. I have to use File > Open or the
      Open icon on the toolbar.

      If NT is closed and I double click a file, it opens and loads the file OK.

      All other files load their respective programs OK. I've checked that "txt"
      is associated with NT in the NT Options, and I've used Windows "open with"
      and the "always use this program" option to try to force the association to
      work.

      I haven't installed anything that affects text files recently - NT was
      working perfectly until a couple of days ago. Any suggestions?

      TIA

      Dianne Reuby

    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005
        Hi Diane,

        > I'm running NoteTab Light on XP HE SP2. In the last few days, if I
        > double-click a text file in My Docs, and NT is already open, the focus
        > changes to NT but the file doesn't load. I have to use File > Open or the
        > Open icon on the toolbar.
        >
        > If NT is closed and I double click a file, it opens and loads the file OK.

        That's exactly the behaviour I've been having for perhaps three years,
        certainly through WinME, XPhome and XPHomeSP2. I raised it here a while
        ago, when someone else reported it but, if there was a cure suggested, I
        missed it! :-(

        Greg
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005
          Dianne Reuby wrote:
          > I'm running NoteTab Light on XP HE SP2. In the last few days, if I
          > double-click a text file in My Docs, and NT is already open, the focus
          > changes to NT but the file doesn't load. I have to use File > Open or
          the
          > Open icon on the toolbar.
          >
          > If NT is closed and I double click a file, it opens and loads the
          file OK.

          > I haven't installed anything that affects text files recently - NT was
          > working perfectly until a couple of days ago. Any suggestions?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Dianne Reuby

          Dianne,

          Don't know if this will help, you may already have entries in these
          locations. Using XPHome, have opted not to update to SP2 because of the
          additional bugs and other hindrances SP2 introduces.

          Under View> Options> HTML Files, I have txt added as an Html Extension.

          Under View> Options> File Filters, I have,
          Description - DOS Ascii (*.txt;*.asc;*.c)
          WildCards - *.txt;*.asc;*.c

          Description - Text files (*.txt)
          WildCards - *.txt;*.was;*.inc

          Under View> Options> Associations, I have 'txt' entered as an associated
          extension.

          Some may suggest some of these entries are not necessary but I will not
          change any of them. It works with no problems.

          If I double-click a txt file in any folder on the drive, regardless of
          the status of NoteTab, Open, Closed, parked in Systray where it always
          is, the double-clicked file starts NTP if necessary, and always loads
          loads into the edit window.

          ºvº
          05.01.28
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • ancestrallifestyle
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2005
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:

            > Hi Diane,
            >
            > > I'm running NoteTab Light on XP HE SP2. In the last few days, if
            > > double-click a text file in My Docs, and NT is already open, the
            focus
            > > changes to NT but the file doesn't load. I have to use File >
            Open or the
            > > Open icon on the toolbar.
            > >
            > > If NT is closed and I double click a file, it opens and loads
            the file OK.

            > That's exactly the behaviour I've been having for perhaps three
            years,
            > certainly through WinME, XPhome and XPHomeSP2. I raised it here a
            while
            > ago, when someone else reported it but, if there was a cure
            suggested, I
            > missed it! :-(
            >
            > Greg

            I also experienced this problem for some time and I found the
            solution in NoteTab's "Known Issues" Help section after being
            directed to it by another post in this forum that I discovered. Here
            it is:

            If you attempt to open multiple files associated with NoteTab with
            the Windows Explorer "Open" command, you may encounter problems if
            NoteTab is not yet running and is configured to disable multiple
            instances. Usually, in this case, some of the files will not be
            opened in NoteTab. The solution is to use the "Send To" command
            instead. The Utilities Clipbook library includes a command
            [under "NoteTab Shortcuts"] to create such a shortcut to NoteTab.
            The "Send To" command has the advantage of being much faster and
            more reliable than the "Open" command when you have several files
            selected for opening.