Re: Re: [NTB] Lost Find and replace

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
      Robin:

      Just jumping in - the symptoms you describe sound like for some reason the
      file is being opened read-only. Are you able to click in its window and type
      new text?

      If not ...

      Either you don't have write-access to it at the widows level or the format
      of the file is such that Notetab is opening it read-only.

      If I'm correct, and you go to Notetab-properties the read-only flag will be
      set. Trying unchecking it's toggle-switch.

      Also perhaps try copying-all, opening a new file and pasting contents into
      it to see if this re-enables the replace options.

      If you can enter text in the file I've no more ideas.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
        Alec,

        At 28/01/2005 17:35, you wrote:

        >Just jumping in - the symptoms you describe sound like for some reason the
        >file is being opened read-only. Are you able to click in its window and type
        >new text?

        No I cannot edit the file. You are right.

        >Either you don't have write-access to it at the widows level or the format
        >of the file is such that Notetab is opening it read-only.
        >
        >If I'm correct, and you go to Notetab-properties the read-only flag will be
        >set. Trying unchecking it's toggle-switch.

        As a matter of learning I would like to find that switch. It was not
        obvious when I looked. There are three rows of tabs. Which one is hiding it?

        >Also perhaps try copying-all, opening a new file and pasting contents into
        >it to see if this re-enables the replace options.

        Now that is the real answer. I can now use CTRL+R. I would like to
        understand more. The file is a pure text only file, actually a GEDCOM file
        in case that is important. Why does this happen?

        You are a real wizard.

        Please help me understand the two bits of missing information above.

        Thanks,

        Robin

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
          Robin:

          >> If I'm correct, and you go to Notetab-properties the
          >> read-only flag will be set. Trying unchecking it's
          >> toggle-switch.
          >
          > As a matter of learning I would like to find that switch.
          > It was not
          > obvious when I looked. There are three rows of tabs.
          > Which one is hiding it?

          Sorry, I was going from my failable memory.

          I meant the Notetab-Documents - last entry at the bottom of the dropdown is
          "Read-only"

          In the same dropdown, check disk-file properties to make sure the readonly
          attribute is not set. If you've copied the file from a CD that could result
          in the readonly attribute being set. Also if you're using WinXP as a
          non-admin user you may not have permission to edit the file.

          Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the bottom-right will
          show the format of the file. You might need to save as DOS/Unix before being
          able to edit if it's format is Unicode-8

          Regards ... Alec
          --
          ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

          >> Just jumping in - the symptoms you describe sound like
          >> for some reason the file is being opened read-only. Are
          >> you able to click in its window and type new text?
          >
          > No I cannot edit the file. You are right.
          >
          >> Either you don't have write-access to it at the widows
          >> level or the format of the file is such that Notetab is
          >> opening it read-only.
          >>
          >> If I'm correct, and you go to Notetab-properties the
          >> read-only flag will be set. Trying unchecking it's
          >> toggle-switch.
          >
          > As a matter of learning I would like to find that switch.
          > It was not
          > obvious when I looked. There are three rows of tabs.
          > Which one is hiding it?
          >
          >> Also perhaps try copying-all, opening a new file and
          >> pasting contents into it to see if this re-enables the
          >> replace options.
          >
          > Now that is the real answer. I can now use CTRL+R. I
          > would like to understand more. The file is a pure text
          > only file, actually a GEDCOM file in case that is
          > important. Why does this happen?
          >
          > You are a real wizard.
          >
          > Please help me understand the two bits of missing
          > information above.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Robin

          > The NoteTab Clips List:
          >
          > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Robin Chapple
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
            Alec,

            Thanks for taking time to answer my multiple questions.

            At 28/01/2005 20:15, you wrote:

            >Sorry, I was going from my failable memory.
            >
            >I meant the Notetab-Documents - last entry at the bottom of the dropdown is
            >"Read-only"
            >
            >In the same dropdown, check disk-file properties to make sure the readonly
            >attribute is not set.

            That also allowed me to edit the file.

            >If you've copied the file from a CD that could result
            >in the readonly attribute being set. Also if you're using WinXP as a
            >non-admin user you may not have permission to edit the file.

            Neither of those apply in this case.

            >Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the bottom-right will
            >show the format of the file. You might need to save as DOS/Unix before being
            >able to edit if it's format is Unicode-8

            Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit window". I have an
            edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display. Click the 'edit'
            in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives information on each entry.

            I give up. Where is this "edit window"?

            Cheers,

            Robin

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
              Robin Chapple wrote:

              >> Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the
              bottom-right will
              >> show the format of the file. You might need to save as DOS/Unix
              before being
              >> able to edit if it's format is Unicode-8
              >
              > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit window". I have an
              > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display. Click the
              'edit'
              > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives information on
              each entry.

              > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Robin

              Robin,

              The 'edit window' is the large screen area in NoteTab where the loaded
              file text is shown and you are allowed to edit it.

              Hover, place the mouse cursor in the area of the screen that you
              normally type in.

              ºvº
              05.01.28
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                When I have NoteTab open and left click on the Document tab which is on
                the same line as File Edit and Search buttons at the bottom it says read
                only. If read only has a check by it left click on it and it will no
                longer be a read only document.
                Ed

                "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one perishes in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
                -- George Bernard Shaw

                hsavage wrote:

                > Robin Chapple wrote:
                > >
                > >> Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the
                > bottom-right will
                > >> show the format of the file. You might need to save as DOS/Unix
                > before being
                > >> able to edit if it's format is Unicode-8
                > >
                > > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit window". I have an
                > > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display. Click the
                > 'edit'
                > > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives information on
                > each entry.
                > >
                > > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Robin
                >
                > Robin,
                >
                > The 'edit window' is the large screen area in NoteTab where the loaded
                > file text is shown and you are allowed to edit it.
                >
                > Hover, place the mouse cursor in the area of the screen that you
                > normally type in.
                >
                > ºvº
                > 05.01.28
                > hrs > hsavage@...

              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                  Do you have this in your ini file?
                  ---------------------------
                  [FindDialog]
                  SearchListCount=15
                  SearchList_1="TABLE"
                  SearchList_2="</p>"
                  SearchList_3="hell"
                  SearchList_4="navy"
                  SearchList_5="white"
                  SearchList_6="0pt"
                  SearchList_7=""white""
                  SearchList_8="0em"
                  SearchList_9="text"
                  SearchList_10="font-family"
                  SearchList_11="Explorer"
                  SearchList_12="strong"
                  SearchList_13="<strong>"
                  SearchList_14="span"
                  SearchList_15="p"

                  [ReplaceDialog]
                  SearchListCount=15
                  SearchList_1="CENTER"
                  SearchList_2="""
                  SearchList_3="Wire"
                  SearchList_4="to"
                  SearchList_5="<p class="left">"
                  SearchList_6="On"
                  SearchList_7="</span>"
                  SearchList_8="<span ^Pstyle="COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,
                  sans-serif">"
                  SearchList_9="is"
                  SearchList_10="</table>"
                  SearchList_11="</td>"
                  SearchList_12="<td>"
                  SearchList_13="</tr>"
                  SearchList_14="<tr>"
                  SearchList_15="<table border="2">"
                  ReplaceListCount=15
                  ReplaceList_1="""
                  ReplaceList_2=" "
                  ReplaceList_3=":19"
                  ReplaceList_4=":18"
                  ReplaceList_5=":17"
                  ReplaceList_6=":16"
                  ReplaceList_7=":15"
                  ReplaceList_8=":14"
                  ReplaceList_9=":13"
                  ReplaceList_10=":12"
                  ReplaceList_11=":11"
                  ReplaceList_12=":10"
                  ReplaceList_13=":09"
                  ReplaceList_14=":08"
                  ReplaceList_15=":07"

                  Ed Brown wrote:

                  > When I have NoteTab open and left click on the Document tab which is on
                  > the same line as File Edit and Search buttons at the bottom it says read
                  > only. If read only has a check by it left click on it and it will no
                  > longer be a read only document.
                  > Ed
                  >
                  > "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
                  > perishes in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all
                  > progress depends on the unreasonable man."
                  > -- George Bernard Shaw
                  >

                  > hsavage wrote:

                  > > bottom-right will
                  > > before being
                  > > >
                  > > > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit window". I
                  > have an
                  > > > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display. Click the
                  > > 'edit'
                  > > > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives information on
                  > > each entry.
                  > > >
                  > > > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > Robin
                  > >
                  > > Robin,
                  > >
                  > > The 'edit window' is the large screen area in NoteTab where the loaded
                  > > file text is shown and you are allowed to edit it.
                  > >
                  > > Hover, place the mouse cursor in the area of the screen that you
                  > > normally type in.
                  > >
                  > > ºvº
                  > > 05.01.28
                  > > hrs > hsavage@...
                  > >

                  > > Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.us/redir

                • Robin Chapple
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                    At 29/01/2005 00:47, hsavage wrote:

                    >The 'edit window' is the large screen area in NoteTab where the loaded
                    >file text is shown and you are allowed to edit it.
                    >
                    >Hover, place the mouse cursor in the area of the screen that you
                    >normally type in.

                    All is understood. Many thanks. The information was not at the right but
                    started at the left and finished in the middle.

                    Regards,

                    Robin Chapple

                    >Robin Chapple wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the
                    >bottom-right will
                    > >> show the format of the file. You might need to save as DOS/Unix
                    >before being
                    > >> able to edit if it's format is Unicode-8
                    > >
                    > > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit window". I have an
                    > > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display. Click the
                    >'edit'
                    > > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives information on
                    >each entry.
                    > >
                    > > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > >
                    > > Robin
                    >
                    >Robin,

                  • Robin Chapple
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                      Thanks Ed.

                      At 29/01/2005 01:08, you wrote:
                      >When I have NoteTab open and left click on the Document tab which is on
                      >the same line as File Edit and Search buttons at the bottom it says read
                      >only. If read only has a check by it left click on it and it will no
                      >longer be a read only document.
                      >Ed
                      >
                      >"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
                      >perishes in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress
                      >depends on the unreasonable man."
                      > -- George Bernard Shaw
                      >

                      >hsavage wrote:

                      > > bottom-right will
                      > > before being
                      > > >
                      > > > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit window". I have an
                      > > > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display. Click the
                      > > 'edit'
                      > > > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives information on
                      > > each entry.
                      > > >
                      > > > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers,
                      > > >
                      > > > Robin
                      > >
                      > > Robin,
                      > >
                      > > The 'edit window' is the large screen area in NoteTab where the loaded
                      > > file text is shown and you are allowed to edit it.
                      > >
                      > > Hover, place the mouse cursor in the area of the screen that you
                      > > normally type in.
                      > >
                      > > ºvº
                      > > 05.01.28
                      > > hrs > hsavage@...
                      > >

                      > > Fookes Software Home:
                      > <http://www.fookes.us/redir>http://www.fookes.us/redir
                      > >
                      > > The NoteTab Clips List:
                      > >
                      > > The NoteTab Off Topic List:

                      > > Service
                      > <<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                      > >

                      >Fookes Software Home: <http://www.fookes.us/redir>http://www.fookes.us/redir
                      >
                      >The NoteTab Clips List:
                      >
                      >The NoteTab Off Topic List:

                      > *

                    • Robin Chapple
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                        Ed,

                        I have nothing like that in my ini file:

                        [FindDialog]
                        SearchListCount=0

                        [ReplaceDialog]
                        SearchListCount=0
                        ReplaceListCount=0

                        Should I just copy your example?

                        Thanks,

                        Robin

                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                          I would give it a try, but save your ini file if you need to replace
                          it. It might be that those =0's that you have may be the reason
                          everything is grayed out. But if for some reason something else is
                          causing it then it may do the same thing after you install my .ini
                          file. You will have some changes to make it your .ini file but you can
                          figure those out if it works. Otherwise I would check the clip code and
                          make sure no lines are missing and there are no truncated lines. These
                          things can happen when changing computers. I would almost believe that
                          the upgrade to XP may have instigated the problem. Did it work after you
                          did the upgrade?

                          Robin Chapple wrote:

                          > Ed,
                          >
                          > I have nothing like that in my ini file:
                          >
                          > [FindDialog]
                          > SearchListCount=0
                          >
                          > [ReplaceDialog]
                          > SearchListCount=0
                          > ReplaceListCount=0
                          >
                          > Should I just copy your example?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Robin
                          >
                          > At 29/01/2005 01:17, you wrote:
                          > >Do you have this in your ini file?
                          > >---------------------------
                          > >[FindDialog]
                          > >SearchListCount=15
                          > >SearchList_1="TABLE"
                          > -----------------------cut off to save bandwidth etc.
                          > ---------------------------------
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                            Robin:
                            >> Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the
                            >> bottom-right will show the format of the file. You might
                            >> need to save as DOS/Unix before being able to edit if
                            >> it's format is Unicode-8

                            > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit
                            > window". I have an
                            > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display.
                            > Click the 'edit'
                            > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives
                            > information on each entry.
                            >
                            > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?

                            The window you type into when editing a file :-)
                            Put your mouse cursor in it - click once if you need to get focus.
                            The "statusbar" is at the bottom. Depending where you are it displays hints
                            or tips. You are interested in what it says after "Format:"

                            Regards ... Alec
                            --
                            ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                              Thanks Alec.

                              At 29/01/2005 09:04, you wrote:
                              >Robin:
                              > >> Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the
                              > >> bottom-right will show the format of the file. You might
                              > >> need to save as DOS/Unix before being able to edit if
                              > >> it's format is Unicode-8
                              >
                              > > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit
                              > > window". I have an
                              > > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display.
                              > > Click the 'edit'
                              > > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives
                              > > information on each entry.
                              > >
                              > > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
                              >
                              >The window you type into when editing a file :-)
                              >Put your mouse cursor in it - click once if you need to get focus.
                              >The "statusbar" is at the bottom. Depending where you are it displays hints
                              >or tips. You are interested in what it says after "Format:"
                              >
                              >Regards ... Alec
                              >--
                              >( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                            • Robin Chapple
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                                Thanks Alec.

                                At 29/01/2005 09:04, you wrote:
                                >Robin:
                                > >> Also: If you hover the edit window the status bar at the
                                > >> bottom-right will show the format of the file. You might
                                > >> need to save as DOS/Unix before being able to edit if
                                > >> it's format is Unicode-8
                                >
                                > > Now you've lost me again. I cannot identify the "edit
                                > > window". I have an
                                > > edit entry in the main menu. Hover there and no display.
                                > > Click the 'edit'
                                > > in the menu gives a drop down box. Hover only gives
                                > > information on each entry.
                                > >
                                > > I give up. Where is this "edit window"?
                                >
                                >The window you type into when editing a file :-)
                                >Put your mouse cursor in it - click once if you need to get focus.
                                >The "statusbar" is at the bottom. Depending where you are it displays hints
                                >or tips. You are interested in what it says after "Format:"
                                >
                                >Regards ... Alec
                                >--
                                >( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                              • Greg Chapman
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 29, 2005
                                  Hi Robin,

                                  > Thanks Alec.

                                  Thanking someone is fair enough, but on this list it is the convention to
                                  cut all text not necessary to understand your reply. Please snip in future,
                                  or expect the wroth of the list owner! :-)

                                  (And it's worse when you say it twice!)

                                  Greg
                                • Dave
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 29, 2005
                                    Hi
                                    Have you tried saving the ini and any thing else you have changed do not
                                    matter where, then un-installing the program completely by this I mean
                                    delete the folder that is probably left and doing a search for anything left
                                    over XP leaves crap around that it does not delete , then do a restart and
                                    reinstall the program, if you want do a proper job search the registry as
                                    well and delete info from there first.

                                    THANKYOU DAVE in au