Re: [NTB] Can't Display Korean Hangul

  • Pete Hoyle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
      At 07:53 PM 1/9/2005, Keith Russell wrote:

      >I gave up on this after reading your reply and doing some more
      >experimentation. I'm back, though, because:
      >
      >1. I hate having to use Notepad when I have something that should
      >be so much better.
      >2. I don't understand why this works so well in Notepad but not
      >in NoteTab. It seems to me that NoteTab features and
      >functionality should be a superset of Notepad's.

      I'm not an expert, but I strongly suspect that the Korean character sets are Unicode rather than Ascii. Indeed, many non-Roman writing systems use unicode (I think it uses 16 bits per character rather than the 8 bits that extended Ascii uses). The Notetab help file explicitly says that when Notetab opens a unicode file, it converts into Ascii the characters that exist in Ascii, and the rest cannot be converted. I tried pasting some Korean that I cut from a web page into NoteTab Pro and what I got was a string of question marks. I pasted the same string into Wordpad and it showed up as Korean.

      Editors that handle unicode files have been especially written to do that. NoteTab is not written that way.

      --
      Pete Hoyle -- hoylesp@... (or use more permanent hoylesp@... for forwarding)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2005
        Hi Keith,

        Sorry for being so late in replying. We've been very busy...

        >> The settings are stored in NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr
        >> (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and remember between NoteTab sessions.
        >> Document Properties acts in the same manner.
        >
        >I checked both these files, and all they have is a list of
        >document paths....
        >
        >Could this be the problem? Are the font settings not changing
        >anything?

        No, it shouldn't be the problem. You should have paths along with
        some other data which NoteTab reads for the formatting of the
        document.

        >> If you would like to reset the file properties in all documents
        >> you can do that under the Advanced tab in Options.
        >
        >You've lost me here.
        >
        >P.S. I tried installing NoteTab Standard after my lack of success
        >with NoteTab Light. I installed it to a different directory, but
        >it still says NoteTab Light when I run and looks identical. Why
        >is this?

        Std/Light use the same input control, so the font issue should be
        the same in both of them. It is Pro that is different the those.
        You probably will not have any luck at all with Pro trying to
        display the font as Pete pointed out.

        As far as Light starting, my guess is that you are using a
        shortcut to Light thinking it is Std. Check out the shortcut
        Prosperities by right clicking over it.

        Other than setting the font and the script in Std/Light as we
        discussed I don't know of any other reason why it won't work or
        what to do to make it work.

        Happy Tab'n,