Can't Display Korean Hangul

  • Keith Russell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hi, everyone.

      I'm a long-time owner of NoteTab Pro, but have never used it for
      anything but English.

      However, I just began work on a Korean project. I found that Microsoft
      Notepad works perfectly. I can just cut and paste Korean hangul text
      from a Web page directly into Notepad, and it displays just fine, even
      without changing any of the settings.

      Upon checking the font settings, I found that Script was actually set
      to Western, but it still works.

      I didn't want to have to deal with Notepad's size limits, though, so I
      checked the Fookes Software Web page and read:

      "Main advantages of NoteTab Light over NoteTab Pro
      * Better support for non-Roman alphabets (e.g. Chinese, Hebrew, etc.)"

      I assumed that this would apply to Korean as well, so I excitedly
      downloaded NoteTab Light and installed it. Unfortunately, I don't seem
      to be able to display Korean properly no matter what I try. If I copy
      in the same sentences that display just fine in Notepad, I get nothing
      but question marks in NoteTab Light. Setting a Korean font and
      changing script to hangul doesn't help.

      Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?

      Thanks.

      --
      Keith
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
        Hi Keith,

        I can only suggest that you make sure of the font and script
        settings for the document you are trying to paste into. Here's
        some information about it...

        There are two settings for document fonts. One is in View |
        Options | Documents | Font... It controls the font used for all
        new documents like when you click on the New Document icon on the
        Toolbar (Ctrl+N) and also documents you have not set the font in.
        The second is off the main menu under Documents | Font | Change
        Font... It controls each document's settings, that is, the one
        you have focused in NoteTab. The settings are stored in
        NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and
        remember between NoteTab sessions. Document Properties acts in
        the same manner. If you would like to reset the file properties
        in all documents you can do that under the Advanced tab in
        Options.

        >However, I just began work on a Korean project. I found that
        >Microsoft Notepad works perfectly. I can just cut and paste
        >Korean hangul text from a Web page directly into Notepad, and it
        >displays just fine, even without changing any of the settings.
        >
        >"Main advantages of NoteTab Light over NoteTab Pro * Better
        >support for non-Roman alphabets (e.g. Chinese, Hebrew, etc.)"
        >
        >I assumed that this would apply to Korean as well, so I excitedly
        >downloaded NoteTab Light and installed it. Unfortunately, I don't
        >seem to be able to display Korean properly no matter what I try.
        >If I copy in the same sentences that display just fine in
        >Notepad, I get nothing but question marks in NoteTab Light.
        >Setting a Korean font and changing script to hangul doesn't help.
        >
        >Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?

        Happy Tab'n,

      • Keith Russell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2005
          Hi, Jody.

          I gave up on this after reading your reply and doing some more
          experimentation. I'm back, though, because:

          1. I hate having to use Notepad when I have something that should
          be so much better.
          2. I don't understand why this works so well in Notepad but not
          in NoteTab. It seems to me that NoteTab features and
          functionality should be a superset of Notepad's.

          Jody wrote:

          > There are two settings for document fonts. One is in View |
          > Options | Documents | Font... It controls the font used for all
          > new documents like when you click on the New Document icon on the
          > Toolbar (Ctrl+N) and also documents you have not set the font in.
          > The second is off the main menu under Documents | Font | Change
          > Font... It controls each document's settings, that is, the one
          > you have focused in NoteTab.

          I've tried changing both of these (and using several different
          Unicode and Korean fonts), and it makes no difference. I get
          nothing but garbage when trying to display Korean.

          > The settings are stored in
          > NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and
          > remember between NoteTab sessions. Document Properties acts in
          > the same manner.

          I checked both these files, and all they have is a list of
          document paths....

          Could this be the problem? Are the font settings not changing
          anything?

          > If you would like to reset the file properties
          > in all documents you can do that under the Advanced tab in
          > Options.

          You've lost me here.

          Does anyone have any more ideas? Is no one else using NoteTab
          with Korean?

          P.S. I tried installing NoteTab Standard after my lack of success
          with NoteTab Light. I installed it to a different directory, but
          it still says NoteTab Light when I run and looks identical. Why
          is this?
        • Pete Hoyle
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
            At 07:53 PM 1/9/2005, Keith Russell wrote:

            >I gave up on this after reading your reply and doing some more
            >experimentation. I'm back, though, because:
            >
            >1. I hate having to use Notepad when I have something that should
            >be so much better.
            >2. I don't understand why this works so well in Notepad but not
            >in NoteTab. It seems to me that NoteTab features and
            >functionality should be a superset of Notepad's.

            I'm not an expert, but I strongly suspect that the Korean character sets are Unicode rather than Ascii. Indeed, many non-Roman writing systems use unicode (I think it uses 16 bits per character rather than the 8 bits that extended Ascii uses). The Notetab help file explicitly says that when Notetab opens a unicode file, it converts into Ascii the characters that exist in Ascii, and the rest cannot be converted. I tried pasting some Korean that I cut from a web page into NoteTab Pro and what I got was a string of question marks. I pasted the same string into Wordpad and it showed up as Korean.

            Editors that handle unicode files have been especially written to do that. NoteTab is not written that way.

            --
            Pete Hoyle -- hoylesp@... (or use more permanent hoylesp@... for forwarding)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2005
              Hi Keith,

              Sorry for being so late in replying. We've been very busy...

              >> The settings are stored in NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr
              >> (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and remember between NoteTab sessions.
              >> Document Properties acts in the same manner.
              >
              >I checked both these files, and all they have is a list of
              >document paths....
              >
              >Could this be the problem? Are the font settings not changing
              >anything?

              No, it shouldn't be the problem. You should have paths along with
              some other data which NoteTab reads for the formatting of the
              document.

              >> If you would like to reset the file properties in all documents
              >> you can do that under the Advanced tab in Options.
              >
              >You've lost me here.
              >
              >P.S. I tried installing NoteTab Standard after my lack of success
              >with NoteTab Light. I installed it to a different directory, but
              >it still says NoteTab Light when I run and looks identical. Why
              >is this?

              Std/Light use the same input control, so the font issue should be
              the same in both of them. It is Pro that is different the those.
              You probably will not have any luck at all with Pro trying to
              display the font as Pete pointed out.

              As far as Light starting, my guess is that you are using a
              shortcut to Light thinking it is Std. Check out the shortcut
              Prosperities by right clicking over it.

              Other than setting the font and the script in Std/Light as we
              discussed I don't know of any other reason why it won't work or
              what to do to make it work.

              Happy Tab'n,