Re: [NTB] SHORTCUTS.DAT STRIKES BACK

  • fstnnh
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2004
      Well, curiously I get no results. I think I'm not making any mistake
      (I've tried even not writting 'Save All' but 'Save ALL', shuting down
      Note Tab, making changes within the document, etc) so, I wonder if
      the reason could be a collision with another shortcut assignment from
      another application...

      Thanks anyway
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hi fstnnh,

        Ctrl+G File/Save All is working for me too. Do you see Ctrl+G
        next to Save All in the File menu? If so, is it dimmed/grayed;
        are there files that need saving so that it will do something?

        >Well, curiously I get no results. I think I'm not making any mistake
        >(I've tried even not writting 'Save All' but 'Save ALL', shuting down
        >Note Tab, making changes within the document, etc) so, I wonder if
        >the reason could be a collision with another shortcut assignment from
        >another application...

        Happy Tab'n,

      • fstnnh
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
          Negative, Jody.

          That's one of the things that caught my attention. I see no Ctrl+G
          gryed out on the submenu. It says nothing beside "Save All"; it's
          empty (?).
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
            fstnnh wrote:

            > Negative, Jody.
            >
            > That's one of the things that caught my attention. I see no Ctrl+G
            > gryed out on the submenu. It says nothing beside "Save All"; it's
            > empty (?).

            fstnnh,

            Don't have an answer, just another question. As I mentioned previously,
            it appears that the Ctrl+G default is assigned to 'Search > Go To Doc.
            Tab > Current', do you not have a Ctrl+G, grayed or otherwise, at that
            menu item?

            ºvº
            04.12.10
            hrs > hsavage@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
              Hi fstnnh,

              >That's one of the things that caught my attention. I see no
              >Ctrl+G gryed out on the submenu. It says nothing beside "Save
              >All"; it's empty (?).

              This may have been over, but can you change other shortcuts? Is
              your Shortcuts.dat in NoteTab's main folder? Do you have your
              support files configured somewhere else in Options | Advanced?

              I've got Fookesability!
              Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
              http://clean-funnies.com

              Jody

              http://sojourner.us/software
              fookes.us, notetab.net
              bwbc.us, sojourner.us
            • fstnnh
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                Hi there,

                Certainly, I do see Ctrl+G beside "Go to Current" item.

                I have tried assigning Ctrl+L instead of Ctrl+G, but it doesn't
                work !!

                I have written the path to Note Tab's main folder on Advanced dialog,
                and Note Tab's main program and all its support files are inside that
                folder, installation was normal....

                ....BUT IT DOESN'T WORK !!!

                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH !!!

                I would like to remark that I'm a happy HotKeys user.
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                  Hi fstnnh,

                  Take out the path completely in the Support Files Location under
                  the Advanced tab in Options since you have the support files in
                  the default location; leave it blank. Normally, the Ctrl+G should
                  focus the current tab, but it can be overwritten by manual
                  intervention into Shortcuts.dat. Obviously, NoteTab it not seeing
                  the Shortcuts.dat file. The next step I would try is close
                  NoteTab, after removing the location of the support files , and
                  checking, then delete Shortcuts.dat. Open and close NoteTab. If a
                  new Shortcuts.dat file is not made, make one. and then do what
                  you want to do.

                  >Certainly, I do see Ctrl+G beside "Go to Current" item.
                  >
                  >I have tried assigning Ctrl+L instead of Ctrl+G, but it doesn't
                  >work !!
                  >
                  >I have written the path to Note Tab's main folder on Advanced dialog,
                  >and Note Tab's main program and all its support files are inside that
                  >folder, installation was normal....
                  >
                  >....BUT IT DOESN'T WORK !!!
                  >
                  >AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH !!!
                  >
                  >I would like to remark that I'm a happy HotKeys user.

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Take care,

                  and even thou doest err some! ;)
                  http://clean-funnies.com
                  http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Hi fstnnh,
                    >
                    > Take out the path completely in the Support Files Location under
                    > the Advanced tab in Options since you have the support files in
                    > the default location; leave it blank.
                    >
                    > Normally, the Ctrl+G should focus the current tab,
                    >

                    >> Certainly, I do see Ctrl+G beside "Go to Current" item.
                    >>
                    >> I have written the path to Note Tab's main folder on Advanced dialog,
                    >> and Note Tab's main program and all its support files are inside that
                    >> folder, installation was normal....
                    >>
                    >> ....BUT IT DOESN'T WORK !!!
                    >>
                    >> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH !!!

                    Jody, fstnnh,

                    Hopefully Jody's advice will solve this, apparently, very frustrating,
                    hotkey assignment problem.

                    But, this brings up another question, exactly what does the default
                    Ctrl+G do. It's either so simple, or, so complicated that I don't get it.

                    If NoteTab is focused, the Current file IS already focused, if NoteTab
                    isn't focused Ctrl+G has no effect, at least, as far as NoteTab is
                    concerned.

                    ºvº
                    04.12.11
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                      Hi Harvey,

                      > > Normally, the Ctrl+G should focus the current tab,

                      >But, this brings up another question, exactly what does the
                      >default Ctrl+G do. It's either so simple, or, so complicated
                      >that I don't get it.
                      >
                      >If NoteTab is focused, the Current file IS already focused, if
                      >NoteTab isn't focused Ctrl+G has no effect, at least, as far as
                      >NoteTab is concerned.

                      There might be correct terminology for the following, but it is
                      the only way I know to explain it. There's what I call "in view"
                      and "in focus" and are not the the same thing although they can
                      be both at the same time seen. <g> Focus, to me, is where the
                      cursor would be and what/where action of most types would be
                      done. Say for instance you have Single Click to Execute unchecked
                      in Options | Clipbook and you click on a Clip. Well, both the
                      Clipbook and the Document Tab are in view, but only the Clipbook
                      has the focus. Notice by the dashes around the Clip. Now, press
                      Ctrl+G and you will see the cursor go into the document area.

                      Also, read Focus in NoteTab Glossary under Help. I think I wrote
                      that and somebody modified/edited it, perhaps Carl Swann. I could
                      be wrong though. <g>

                      Happy Tab'n,

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                        Jody wrote:
                        > Hi Harvey,
                        >

                        >>> Normally, the Ctrl+G should focus the current tab,
                        >
                        > There might be correct terminology for the following, but it is
                        > the only way I know to explain it. There's what I call "in view"
                        > and "in focus"
                        > Say for instance you have Single Click to Execute unchecked
                        > in Options | Clipbook and you click on a Clip. Well, both the
                        > Clipbook and the Document Tab are in view, but only the Clipbook
                        > has the focus. Notice by the dashes around the Clip. Now, press
                        > Ctrl+G and you will see the cursor go into the document area.
                        >
                        > Also, read Focus in NoteTab Glossary under
                        >
                        > Happy Tab'n,
                        > Jody Adair

                        Jody,

                        Actually, I don't think I need read anything else, Your explanation is
                        very clear. I had never noticed that function since I have always run
                        in 'Single Click to Execute' mode.

                        Thanks,

                        ºvº
                        04.12.11
                        hrs > hsavage@...
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                          Hi Harvey,

                          >Actually, I don't think I need read anything else, Your
                          >explanation is very clear. I had never noticed that function
                          >since I have always run in 'Single Click to Execute' mode.

                          I used that as an example because it is the easiest to see. ;)
                          Here's a Clip command for when Clip writing that may help you
                          understand it further (and maybe help from tearing your hair out
                          when writing certain Clips :): ^!SetFocus
                          [Clipbook|ClipEdit|Document|
                          Frame1|Frame2|List_Clip|List_Disk|List_Docs|List_Favs|Outline|
                          PasteBoard]. Also, say if you press Alt, the Menubar would then
                          have the focus, although the Clipbook, [Clips] Editor, Quick
                          List, Toolbar, all may be in view, but not focused. ;) Press Alt,
                          and then press Ctrl+G. Here's a good one, open the Replace
                          dialog. The Find field has the focus, now click in the Replace
                          with, that field gets the focus. Now, click in the document - it
                          has the focus. If you have say there programs open and all
                          resized so that you see them all. Only one will have the focus
                          (or something in it). Notice the Titlebar colors as you click on
                          them. I know you know this stuff, but this is for the benefit of
                          others as well. 'nuff said? :)

                          Happy Tab'n,

                        • fstnnh
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 12, 2004
                            Hi

                            Your instructions did not succeed, Jody, but thanks for your help.
                            Well, I'm thinking of a possible reason for this mess. I don't live
                            in an English Country, so maybe Note Tab requires a specific
                            character set ??
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 12, 2004
                              Hi fstnnh,

                              >Your instructions did not succeed, Jody, but thanks for your
                              >help. Well, I'm thinking of a possible reason for this mess. I
                              >don't live in an English Country, so maybe Note Tab requires a
                              >specific character set ??

                              That could very well be. If possible, switch your keyboard in
                              Windows Control Panel to the English 101, or something like that
                              - just going off the top of my head. At this point, it would
                              probably be best to take this to the Off Topic list. You can keep
                              this Subject line. See the footer to sign up for it and read the
                              following and/or go to the link in it.

                              either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
                              _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

                              Clips or Scripts list for them.

                              are for discussion of those programs.

                              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                              lists.

                              http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
                              getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

                              Happy Topics,
                              Jody

                              The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm