SHORTCUTS.DAT STRIKES BACK

  • fstnnh
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 8, 2004
      Hi, I create Shortcuts.dat following the exact instructions from
      NoteTab. I just want to be able to "Save All" documents by pressing
      Ctrl+G, so I go to Shortcuts.dat and write:

      Ctrl+G File/Save All

      Hope not being commiting a mistake ;) but I find that I get no
      results. I reset NoteTab, and after this, with a new document, etc...
      I press Ctrl+G and it doesn't work. :(

      What's the problem? Thanks.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 8, 2004
        fstnnh wrote:

        > Hi, I create Shortcuts.dat following the exact instructions from
        > NoteTab. I just want to be able to "Save All" documents by pressing
        > Ctrl+G, so I go to Shortcuts.dat and write:
        >
        > Ctrl+G File/Save All
        >
        > Hope not being commiting a mistake ;) but I find that I get no
        > results. I reset NoteTab, and after this, with a new document, etc...
        > I press Ctrl+G and it doesn't work. :(
        >
        > What's the problem? Thanks.

        fstnnh,

        It appears that Ctrl+G is assigned to 'Search/Go To Doc. Tab/Current',
        this original assignment is by default.

        However, that should not stop it from working or changing the menu item
        for that function. Keep in mind, the key will be grayed out, not
        functional if none of the loaded files are in need of saving.

        I guess, foremost, the menu item has to reflect the change before the
        change will work.

        When you assign a shortcut in the .dat file, and save the file, the
        dropdown menu should reflect the change. On occasion you may have to
        shutdown NoteTab and restart for changes to become effective.

        If you created a new document using either 'Ctrl+N' or, the 'New
        Document' icon in the toolbar it still won't work until you make a
        change in the edit window, type a character, crlf, anything. At that
        point it should work.

        I was able to assign either line below to make 'Save ALL' become active.

        Ctrl+G File/Save ALL
        Shift+Ctrl+G File/Save ALL

        --
        ºvº
        04.12.08 07:43 a
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 9, 2004
          Well, curiously I get no results. I think I'm not making any mistake
          (I've tried even not writting 'Save All' but 'Save ALL', shuting down
          Note Tab, making changes within the document, etc) so, I wonder if
          the reason could be a collision with another shortcut assignment from
          another application...

          Thanks anyway
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 9, 2004
            Hi fstnnh,

            Ctrl+G File/Save All is working for me too. Do you see Ctrl+G
            next to Save All in the File menu? If so, is it dimmed/grayed;
            are there files that need saving so that it will do something?

            >Well, curiously I get no results. I think I'm not making any mistake
            >(I've tried even not writting 'Save All' but 'Save ALL', shuting down
            >Note Tab, making changes within the document, etc) so, I wonder if
            >the reason could be a collision with another shortcut assignment from
            >another application...

            Happy Tab'n,

          • fstnnh
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
              Negative, Jody.

              That's one of the things that caught my attention. I see no Ctrl+G
              gryed out on the submenu. It says nothing beside "Save All"; it's
              empty (?).
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
                fstnnh wrote:

                > Negative, Jody.
                >
                > That's one of the things that caught my attention. I see no Ctrl+G
                > gryed out on the submenu. It says nothing beside "Save All"; it's
                > empty (?).

                fstnnh,

                Don't have an answer, just another question. As I mentioned previously,
                it appears that the Ctrl+G default is assigned to 'Search > Go To Doc.
                Tab > Current', do you not have a Ctrl+G, grayed or otherwise, at that
                menu item?

                ºvº
                04.12.10
                hrs > hsavage@...
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
                  Hi fstnnh,

                  >That's one of the things that caught my attention. I see no
                  >Ctrl+G gryed out on the submenu. It says nothing beside "Save
                  >All"; it's empty (?).

                  This may have been over, but can you change other shortcuts? Is
                  your Shortcuts.dat in NoteTab's main folder? Do you have your
                  support files configured somewhere else in Options | Advanced?

                  I've got Fookesability!
                  Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
                  http://clean-funnies.com

                  Jody

                  http://sojourner.us/software
                  fookes.us, notetab.net
                  bwbc.us, sojourner.us
                • fstnnh
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                    Hi there,

                    Certainly, I do see Ctrl+G beside "Go to Current" item.

                    I have tried assigning Ctrl+L instead of Ctrl+G, but it doesn't
                    work !!

                    I have written the path to Note Tab's main folder on Advanced dialog,
                    and Note Tab's main program and all its support files are inside that
                    folder, installation was normal....

                    ....BUT IT DOESN'T WORK !!!

                    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH !!!

                    I would like to remark that I'm a happy HotKeys user.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                      Hi fstnnh,

                      Take out the path completely in the Support Files Location under
                      the Advanced tab in Options since you have the support files in
                      the default location; leave it blank. Normally, the Ctrl+G should
                      focus the current tab, but it can be overwritten by manual
                      intervention into Shortcuts.dat. Obviously, NoteTab it not seeing
                      the Shortcuts.dat file. The next step I would try is close
                      NoteTab, after removing the location of the support files , and
                      checking, then delete Shortcuts.dat. Open and close NoteTab. If a
                      new Shortcuts.dat file is not made, make one. and then do what
                      you want to do.

                      >Certainly, I do see Ctrl+G beside "Go to Current" item.
                      >
                      >I have tried assigning Ctrl+L instead of Ctrl+G, but it doesn't
                      >work !!
                      >
                      >I have written the path to Note Tab's main folder on Advanced dialog,
                      >and Note Tab's main program and all its support files are inside that
                      >folder, installation was normal....
                      >
                      >....BUT IT DOESN'T WORK !!!
                      >
                      >AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH !!!
                      >
                      >I would like to remark that I'm a happy HotKeys user.

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Take care,

                      and even thou doest err some! ;)
                      http://clean-funnies.com
                      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                        Jody wrote:
                        > Hi fstnnh,
                        >
                        > Take out the path completely in the Support Files Location under
                        > the Advanced tab in Options since you have the support files in
                        > the default location; leave it blank.
                        >
                        > Normally, the Ctrl+G should focus the current tab,
                        >

                        >> Certainly, I do see Ctrl+G beside "Go to Current" item.
                        >>
                        >> I have written the path to Note Tab's main folder on Advanced dialog,
                        >> and Note Tab's main program and all its support files are inside that
                        >> folder, installation was normal....
                        >>
                        >> ....BUT IT DOESN'T WORK !!!
                        >>
                        >> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH !!!

                        Jody, fstnnh,

                        Hopefully Jody's advice will solve this, apparently, very frustrating,
                        hotkey assignment problem.

                        But, this brings up another question, exactly what does the default
                        Ctrl+G do. It's either so simple, or, so complicated that I don't get it.

                        If NoteTab is focused, the Current file IS already focused, if NoteTab
                        isn't focused Ctrl+G has no effect, at least, as far as NoteTab is
                        concerned.

                        ºvº
                        04.12.11
                        hrs > hsavage@...
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                          Hi Harvey,

                          > > Normally, the Ctrl+G should focus the current tab,

                          >But, this brings up another question, exactly what does the
                          >default Ctrl+G do. It's either so simple, or, so complicated
                          >that I don't get it.
                          >
                          >If NoteTab is focused, the Current file IS already focused, if
                          >NoteTab isn't focused Ctrl+G has no effect, at least, as far as
                          >NoteTab is concerned.

                          There might be correct terminology for the following, but it is
                          the only way I know to explain it. There's what I call "in view"
                          and "in focus" and are not the the same thing although they can
                          be both at the same time seen. <g> Focus, to me, is where the
                          cursor would be and what/where action of most types would be
                          done. Say for instance you have Single Click to Execute unchecked
                          in Options | Clipbook and you click on a Clip. Well, both the
                          Clipbook and the Document Tab are in view, but only the Clipbook
                          has the focus. Notice by the dashes around the Clip. Now, press
                          Ctrl+G and you will see the cursor go into the document area.

                          Also, read Focus in NoteTab Glossary under Help. I think I wrote
                          that and somebody modified/edited it, perhaps Carl Swann. I could
                          be wrong though. <g>

                          Happy Tab'n,

                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                            Jody wrote:
                            > Hi Harvey,
                            >

                            >>> Normally, the Ctrl+G should focus the current tab,
                            >
                            > There might be correct terminology for the following, but it is
                            > the only way I know to explain it. There's what I call "in view"
                            > and "in focus"
                            > Say for instance you have Single Click to Execute unchecked
                            > in Options | Clipbook and you click on a Clip. Well, both the
                            > Clipbook and the Document Tab are in view, but only the Clipbook
                            > has the focus. Notice by the dashes around the Clip. Now, press
                            > Ctrl+G and you will see the cursor go into the document area.
                            >
                            > Also, read Focus in NoteTab Glossary under
                            >
                            > Happy Tab'n,
                            > Jody Adair

                            Jody,

                            Actually, I don't think I need read anything else, Your explanation is
                            very clear. I had never noticed that function since I have always run
                            in 'Single Click to Execute' mode.

                            Thanks,

                            ºvº
                            04.12.11
                            hrs > hsavage@...
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 11, 2004
                              Hi Harvey,

                              >Actually, I don't think I need read anything else, Your
                              >explanation is very clear. I had never noticed that function
                              >since I have always run in 'Single Click to Execute' mode.

                              I used that as an example because it is the easiest to see. ;)
                              Here's a Clip command for when Clip writing that may help you
                              understand it further (and maybe help from tearing your hair out
                              when writing certain Clips :): ^!SetFocus
                              [Clipbook|ClipEdit|Document|
                              Frame1|Frame2|List_Clip|List_Disk|List_Docs|List_Favs|Outline|
                              PasteBoard]. Also, say if you press Alt, the Menubar would then
                              have the focus, although the Clipbook, [Clips] Editor, Quick
                              List, Toolbar, all may be in view, but not focused. ;) Press Alt,
                              and then press Ctrl+G. Here's a good one, open the Replace
                              dialog. The Find field has the focus, now click in the Replace
                              with, that field gets the focus. Now, click in the document - it
                              has the focus. If you have say there programs open and all
                              resized so that you see them all. Only one will have the focus
                              (or something in it). Notice the Titlebar colors as you click on
                              them. I know you know this stuff, but this is for the benefit of
                              others as well. 'nuff said? :)

                              Happy Tab'n,

                            • fstnnh
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 12, 2004
                                Hi

                                Your instructions did not succeed, Jody, but thanks for your help.
                                Well, I'm thinking of a possible reason for this mess. I don't live
                                in an English Country, so maybe Note Tab requires a specific
                                character set ??
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 12, 2004
                                  Hi fstnnh,

                                  >Your instructions did not succeed, Jody, but thanks for your
                                  >help. Well, I'm thinking of a possible reason for this mess. I
                                  >don't live in an English Country, so maybe Note Tab requires a
                                  >specific character set ??

                                  That could very well be. If possible, switch your keyboard in
                                  Windows Control Panel to the English 101, or something like that
                                  - just going off the top of my head. At this point, it would
                                  probably be best to take this to the Off Topic list. You can keep
                                  this Subject line. See the footer to sign up for it and read the
                                  following and/or go to the link in it.

                                  either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
                                  _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

                                  Clips or Scripts list for them.

                                  are for discussion of those programs.

                                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                                  lists.

                                  http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
                                  getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

                                  Happy Topics,
                                  Jody

                                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm