Appending data

  • dvdwriters12
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
      I'm playing around with a few clips and can anyone explain why this wont work.

      It's supposed to put a little html link footer in the file footer.htm on my site - at the end of the file.

      The wizard pops up with the link but nothing is written in the file:

      ^!Continue Append data to a file. Continue?

      ^!AppendToFile "L:\footer.htm" ^$GetText$

      ^?[Update Site Footer with active document name=<a href="http://www.domain.com/thispage.htm" target="_blank">NewPage</a>]

      Its OK if I just type the link in the document.

      Also what is the function to return the documents name so http://www.domain.com/thispage.htm the "thispage.htm" is the current filename ? All the functions I have tried seem to give me the full path.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
        dvdwriters12 wrote:

        > I'm playing around with a few clips and can anyone explain why this
        wont work.

        > It's supposed to put a little html link footer in the file footer.htm
        on my site - at the end of the file.

        > The wizard pops up with the link but nothing is written in the file:
        >
        > ^!Continue Append data to a file. Continue?
        >
        > ^!AppendToFile "L:\footer.htm" ^$GetText$
        >
        > ^?[Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
        href="http://www.domain.com/thispage.htm" target="_blank">NewPage</a>]

        > Its OK if I just type the link in the document.
        >
        > Also what is the function to return the documents name so
        http://www.domain.com/thispage.htm the "thispage.htm" is the current
        filename ? All the functions I have tried seem to give me the full path.

        dvd...,

        The sequence was out a little, lines 2 and 3 need switching. The
        information to be added as a footer has to be declared(set) before and
        appendtofile operation, otherwise, you're trying to append "nothing', an
        empty string.

        If the file is loaded you don't need an append,

        The wizard, line 2, might be more useful if set to a variable, you can
        then use the variable in the append to file line, or, the inserttext
        line as below. And, the continue line isn't really needed, you'll get
        your visual clue from the line 2 wizard prompt.

        H="Append_Footer_To_File"
        ; ^!Continue Append data to a file. Continue?
        ;--
        ; first example, only used if file is loaded
        ^!Set %footer%=^?[Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
        href="http://www.domain.com/^##" target="_blank">NewPage</a>]

        ; second example
        ^!Set %footer%=^?[Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
        href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName("L:\footer.htm")$"
        target="_blank">NewPage</a>]
        ;--
        ; example 1 use
        ^!AppendToFile "L:\footer.htm" ^%footer%

        ; example 2, use if file loaded
        ^!Jump ^$GetLineCount$
        ^!InsertText ^%footer%
        ^!Save
        :END

        ----------------

        ^$GetFileName("L:\footer.htm")$

        or, if the file is loaded into NoteTab and
        focused you can use NoteTabs specific wildcards.

        ^## or ^**
        ----------------

        If the file, footer.htm, is loaded in NoteTab.

        Hope it helps.

        ºvº
        hrs <04-12-05> hsavage@...
      • dvdwriters12
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
          > dvd...,
          >
          > The sequence was out a little, lines 2 and 3 need switching. The
          > information to be added as a footer has to be declared(set) before
          and
          > appendtofile operation, otherwise, you're trying to
          append "nothing', an
          > empty string.
          >
          > If the file is loaded you don't need an append,
          >
          > The wizard, line 2, might be more useful if set to a variable, you
          can
          > then use the variable in the append to file line, or, the
          inserttext
          > line as below. And, the continue line isn't really needed, you'll
          get
          > your visual clue from the line 2 wizard prompt.
          >

          > H="Append_Footer_To_File"
          > ; ^!Continue Append data to a file. Continue?
          > ;--
          > ; first example, only used if file is loaded
          > ^!Set %footer%=^?[Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
          > href="http://www.domain.com/^##" target="_blank">NewPage</a>]
          >
          > ; second example
          > ^!Set %footer%=^?[Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
          > href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName("L:\footer.htm")$"
          > target="_blank">NewPage</a>]
          > ;--
          > ; example 1 use
          > ^!AppendToFile "L:\footer.htm" ^%footer%
          >
          > ; example 2, use if file loaded
          > ^!Jump ^$GetLineCount$
          > ^!InsertText ^%footer%
          > ^!Save
          > :END
          >

          > ----------------
          >
          > ^$GetFileName("L:\footer.htm")$
          >
          > or, if the file is loaded into NoteTab and
          > focused you can use NoteTabs specific wildcards.
          >
          > ^## or ^**
          > ----------------
          >
          > If the file, footer.htm, is loaded in NoteTab.
          >
          > Hope it helps.
          >
          > ºvº
          > hrs <04-12-05> hsavage@p...

          Thanks,

          The append works but the filename/URL is coming out like this:

          http://www.domain.com/C:\Temp\somefile.htm

          I want to be able to open any html on my file it should be inserting
          a proper html link.

          I've tried

          ^##
          ^**
          ^$GetFileName

          but they all seem to return it as
          http://www.domain.com/C:\Temp\somefile.htm

          The ^$GetFileName routine works but you need to hard encode the
          filename which is no use for the script as I need to put the
          currentfilename in.

          There must be an easy way to do this without having to manipulate
          strings ?
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
            dvdwriters12 wrote:

            > but they all seem to return it as
            > http://www.domain.com/C:\Temp\somefile.htm
            >
            > The ^$GetFileName routine works but you need to hard encode the
            > filename which is no use for the script as I need to put the
            > currentfilename in.
            >
            > There must be an easy way to do this without having to manipulate
            > strings ?

            Sorry, I had the syntax off on the line using ^##. The other line using;
            ^$GetFileName(L:\footer.htm)$
            should have worked.

            I don't have a L: drive but I put footer.htm into the root of c: and it
            worked fine.

            I made an 'append simple' clip that does the job also, but in both cases
            you must have the file, I guess the name is footer.htm.

            In the next clip you can use either set variable line, not both. The
            first set is commented out with a semi_colon.

            H="Append_Footer_To_File"
            ; the insert line returned this line at bottom of footer.htm.
            ; <a href="http://www.domain.com/footer.htm" target="_blank">NewPage</a>
            ;
            ;^!Set %footer%=^?{Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
            href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName(^##)$"
            target="_blank">NewPage</a>}
            ;
            ; the insert line returned this line at bottom of footer.htm.
            ; <a href="http://www.domain.com/footer.htm" target="_blank">NewPage</a>
            ;
            ^!Set %footer%=^?{Update Site Footer with active document name=<a
            href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName(L:\footer.htm)$"
            target="_blank">NewPage</a>}
            ;
            ; makes the addition to whichever
            ; file is loaded and focused,
            ^!Jump TEXT_END
            ^!InsertText ^%nl%^%footer%
            ^!Save
            :END

            H="Append Simple"
            ; the insert line returned this line at bottom of footer.htm.
            ; <a href="http://www.domain.com/footer.htm" target="_blank">NewPage</a>}
            ^!Jump TEXT_END
            ^!InsertText ^%nl%<a
            href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName(c:\footer.htm)$"
            target="_blank">NewPage</a>}
            ^!Save

            ºvº
            hrs <04-12-06> hsavage@...
          • dvdwriters12
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
              The clips works.

              But it should be inserting the filename of the active document into the "footer.htm" file for use on the webserver.

              So it could be the links.htm page that is currently open in notetab and if that is the case it should put the link (NOT Contents) "http://www.domain.com/links.htm" into the file "footer.htm".

              The problem is that none of the functions I can see return just purely the filename - they return it as:

              C:\Temp\somefile.htm

              So is there a command to return it as (with out using strcpys):

              somefile.htm

              It seems simple enough but I cant find the command.
            • Pete Turner
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
                > The problem is that none of the functions I can see return
                > just purely the filename - they return it as:
                >
                > C:\Temp\somefile.htm
                >
                > So is there a command to return it as (with out using strcpys):
                >
                > somefile.htm
                >
                > It seems simple enough but I cant find the command.

                From the Help file:

                ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
                Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).

                Pete
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
                  dvdwriters12 wrote:

                  > The clips works.
                  >
                  > But it should be inserting the filename of the active document into
                  the "footer.htm" file for use on the webserver.

                  > So it could be the links.htm page that is currently open in notetab
                  and if that is the case it should put the link (NOT Contents)
                  "http://www.domain.com/links.htm" into the file "footer.htm".

                  > The problem is that none of the functions I can see return just
                  purely the filename - they return it as:

                  > C:\Temp\somefile.htm

                  dvd,

                  You have the command, contained in the script I edited.

                  Let me define the objective, as I understand it, to make sure I know
                  what you want to do.

                  • You have a file, e.g., c:\links.htm, loaded into NoteTab.

                  • You have a file, e.g., c:\footer.htm, not loaded.

                  • You want to add a link to the bottom of c:\footer.htm referring back
                  to c:\links.htm, the file you're viewing, minus the path.

                  If this is the objective, either of the following 2 clips will do the job.

                  Clip 1 requires no interaction other than running the clip. Clip 2
                  shows the clip wizard as you had it in the original clip.

                  These 2 lines are exactly what is appended to c:\footer.htm.

                  H="Append Simple1"
                  ^!AppendToFile "L:\footer.htm" ^%nl%<a
                  href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName(^##)$" target="_blank">NewPage</a>

                  H="Append Simple2"
                  ^!AppendToFile "L:\footer.htm" ^%nl%^?{UPDATE SITE FOOTER WITH ACTIVE
                  DOCUMENT NAME=<a href="http://www.domain.com/^$GetFileName(^##)$"
                  target="_blank">NewPage</a>}

                  --
                  ºvº
                  04.12.07 09:08 p
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004
                    Hrs,

                    You are correct I tried those and they work.

                    Many thanks!