Re: [NTB] Creating a C.S.V. file query.

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4 5:23 PM
      tip for getting to the top of a file in notetab when searching or
      searching and replacing:

      with the search or search and replace dialog open double click on any
      "blank" space in the dialog box -- not in a text box where you would
      type something and not on a button or check box

      the cursor will be transported to the beginning of your file

      very handy for repetitive seaching like that suggested here

      if your file is too big it may choke on the regex in my recommended
      steps ... if so either do chunks of the file at a time, or see me on the
      clips list for a better "one step" solution -- ie one clip I tried it
      on 450 items (copying those two over and over) and it worked fine in a
      matter of seconds.

      Happy not clipping :-)

      Don at htmlfixit.com
    • John Fitzsimons
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4 7:49 PM
        On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:15:05 -0500, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

        Hi Don,

        >Try this ...
        >1. with the cursor at the top of the document click on the replace
        >dialog (small binoculars) and check regular exp box (no other boxes
        >should be checked), in the top box put this without the quotes:
        >"^{\d+}\n" and that will look for one or more numbers at the start of
        >the line followed by a new line
        >2. in the bottom box put this without the quotes:
        >"\n\1\n" an that will precede each isbn number with a line feed ... so
        >it is a line feed (\n) followed by the number that was matched (\1) and
        >followed by a new line (\n)
        >3. hit replace all

        Okay, that got an extra line between ISBN and the previous field.

        >4. uncheck regular exp box, and then with the cursor at the top of the
        >file again and type this in the top box of the replace dialog:
        >"^P^T^P" - that is a line feed (^P), a tab (^T), and a line feed (^P)
        >5. in the bottom put a comma ","
        >6. hit replace all

        Again. Perfect. :-)

        >7. again with regular exp box unchecked and with the cursor at the top
        >of the file, type ",^P" in the top box
        >8. in the bottom box put ^P
        >9. hit replace all

        Okay.

        >10. move the cursor to the top of the file, delete the leading line feed
        >(put there by steps 1-3).

        >11. go to the end and if there is an extra line feed or anything delete it.

        >12. save it under a different name than the original file or back up the
        >original file before saving.

        >That should do it.

        >0743202236,A MIND AT A TIME - TPB,LIVINE M,$26.95
        >0895948575,A WOMAN'S I CHING - TPB,STEIN Diane,$29.95,NYP

        It certainly "did it". Not only are you very clever but you explained
        things very well. Your help is very much appreciated. Many thanks.

        Regards, John.

        P.S. I was looking at your pages with FireFox. It looked odd. Check
        out ; http://members.optushome.com.au/jfnews/htmlfixit.jpg

        ,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
        / Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
        \_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
        v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/