Re: [NTB] Creating a C.S.V. file query.

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
      privately email me a bunch of this text (you sent 2 items -- send me 100)
      this is really easily solvable with a clip ... I'll even write it for
      you (if someone doesn't beat me to the punch) but I cannot post it here,
      I have to post to the clips list
      do you by any chance belong to that list?

      The clips list is very very friendly and often someone will write the
      clip for you or come awful close if you ask nicely how to solve your
      problem.

      I have the following questions (that will be better answered by a bigger
      set of data)

      1. is the isbn number the only thing that has only numbers in it ... and
      is it always numbers only
      2. are there ever commas in the data itself? if so then you need to go
      to a different delimiter, or enclose text with commas in quotes before
      comma separating them

      Some of the problems to overcome are ;

      (1) Each column can be a different width. - that doesn't really matter much

      (2) The ISBN needs to be the first item on each line - if it is always a
      number that can be done very easily in clips and could be done with a
      regex ... but regexes in notetab can be very slow/klunky ... so a clip
      solution might be better.

      (3) The number of columns of info can change. The first is four for
      example and the second is five. -- if you solve #2 above, then this
      doesn't matter.

      My original may have thousands of items so I want to be able to
      do this easily. -- that is why a clip might be a better solution ...
      because you need to use a regex otherwise to do it right.

      I'll put together a series of commands if I can that will do this
      without a clip, but this really will need to move to the clip list
      rapidly or we will get moderators telling us we are too complex for the
      basic list.

      cc: clip list
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
        Try this ...
        1. with the cursor at the top of the document click on the replace
        dialog (small binoculars) and check regular exp box (no other boxes
        should be checked), in the top box put this without the quotes:
        "^{\d+}\n" and that will look for one or more numbers at the start of
        the line followed by a new line
        2. in the bottom box put this without the quotes:
        "\n\1\n" an that will precede each isbn number with a line feed ... so
        it is a line feed (\n) followed by the number that was matched (\1) and
        followed by a new line (\n)
        3. hit replace all

        4. uncheck regular exp box, and then with the cursor at the top of the
        file again and type this in the top box of the replace dialog:
        "^P^T^P" - that is a line feed (^P), a tab (^T), and a line feed (^P)
        5. in the bottom put a comma ","
        6. hit replace all

        7. again with regular exp box unchecked and with the cursor at the top
        of the file, type ",^P" in the top box
        8. in the bottom box put ^P
        9. hit replace all

        10. move the cursor to the top of the file, delete the leading line feed
        (put there by steps 1-3).

        11. go to the end and if there is an extra line feed or anything delete it.

        12. save it under a different name than the original file or back up the
        original file before saving.

        That should do it.

        0743202236,A MIND AT A TIME - TPB,LIVINE M,$26.95
        0895948575,A WOMAN'S I CHING - TPB,STEIN Diane,$29.95,NYP
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
          tip for getting to the top of a file in notetab when searching or
          searching and replacing:

          with the search or search and replace dialog open double click on any
          "blank" space in the dialog box -- not in a text box where you would
          type something and not on a button or check box

          the cursor will be transported to the beginning of your file

          very handy for repetitive seaching like that suggested here

          if your file is too big it may choke on the regex in my recommended
          steps ... if so either do chunks of the file at a time, or see me on the
          clips list for a better "one step" solution -- ie one clip I tried it
          on 450 items (copying those two over and over) and it worked fine in a
          matter of seconds.

          Happy not clipping :-)

          Don at htmlfixit.com
        • John Fitzsimons
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
            On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:15:05 -0500, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

            Hi Don,

            >Try this ...
            >1. with the cursor at the top of the document click on the replace
            >dialog (small binoculars) and check regular exp box (no other boxes
            >should be checked), in the top box put this without the quotes:
            >"^{\d+}\n" and that will look for one or more numbers at the start of
            >the line followed by a new line
            >2. in the bottom box put this without the quotes:
            >"\n\1\n" an that will precede each isbn number with a line feed ... so
            >it is a line feed (\n) followed by the number that was matched (\1) and
            >followed by a new line (\n)
            >3. hit replace all

            Okay, that got an extra line between ISBN and the previous field.

            >4. uncheck regular exp box, and then with the cursor at the top of the
            >file again and type this in the top box of the replace dialog:
            >"^P^T^P" - that is a line feed (^P), a tab (^T), and a line feed (^P)
            >5. in the bottom put a comma ","
            >6. hit replace all

            Again. Perfect. :-)

            >7. again with regular exp box unchecked and with the cursor at the top
            >of the file, type ",^P" in the top box
            >8. in the bottom box put ^P
            >9. hit replace all

            Okay.

            >10. move the cursor to the top of the file, delete the leading line feed
            >(put there by steps 1-3).

            >11. go to the end and if there is an extra line feed or anything delete it.

            >12. save it under a different name than the original file or back up the
            >original file before saving.

            >That should do it.

            >0743202236,A MIND AT A TIME - TPB,LIVINE M,$26.95
            >0895948575,A WOMAN'S I CHING - TPB,STEIN Diane,$29.95,NYP

            It certainly "did it". Not only are you very clever but you explained
            things very well. Your help is very much appreciated. Many thanks.

            Regards, John.

            P.S. I was looking at your pages with FireFox. It looked odd. Check
            out ; http://members.optushome.com.au/jfnews/htmlfixit.jpg

            ,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
            / Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
            \_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
            v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/