NoteTab Corrupt Message [blank original subject]

  • S or J
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi folks

      I would just like to echo Matt's experience. I am now using a new machine
      that came with Win XP SP2 preinstalled. I downloaded Notetab Light V4.95
      and have used it with no problems for three months. I only used Help Topics
      for the first time a couple of days ago (was already familiar with how
      to use it for my needs so had not opened Help Topics). I received an error box
      "WARNING: The program file "NoteTab.exe" appears to be corrupted.
      The damage may have been caused by an external program, faulty hardware,
      or a virus infection. Please check your computer and reinstall NoteTab."

      This computer is fine and has never had a virus, nor has any one of my Internet
      machines for the last ten years. ( I am a touch paranoid about such and
      operate with the latest virus and firewall and spyware programs and extreme
      safety settings to disallow all but absolutely necessary intrusion.)

      Click "OK" in the error box and then Help Topics launches and works just fine,
      as does everything else I use in NoteTab.

      Hence I have not reinstalled NoteTab, and will not until the program proves to
      me that it is indeed corrupt. I suspect the real problem is some anomaly between
      NoteTab 4.95 and XP that triggers this warning. That Matt has reinstalled the
      program and later gotten the same message lends credence to the possibility that
      simple reinstallation of the same NoteTab will not permanently solve this particular
      glitch. Perhaps the next version will do better with XP.

      If someone has a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.

      Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario

      Matt Clark wrote:
      >Also, this is the second time in a year that I have had to reinstall because
      >of a "notetab.exe has become corrupted message." What might cause this--no
      >viruses or mechanical problems with the machine are evident, and I know of
      >no conflicts with other programs?
    • S or J
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        Thanks Alex for replying.

        In fact I am running as the Owner, which in XP Home has the
        full administrator permissions and is the only login identity on this
        personal use machine.

        I said I would not uninstall and reinstall until the NoteTab Free program
        proved it was corrupt. Did not take long. During a file edit today,
        after successfully editing multi files, the cursor went
        strange and editing actions like delete-character started
        to happen in a different location from the cursor on-screen position.

        Uninstalled 4.95 free (which had been originally installed from Fookes'
        .exe version) and downloaded the zipped install version.

        It would appear that SP2's built in firewall has a new protection wrinkle
        for IE6 that is virtually undocumented. (Only found references to it in
        some non-Microsoft help forums.) Executable files such as .exe
        and .zip are intercepted when being downloaded from the Web using
        Internet Explorer (6); there is a popup warning of caution about such
        files; if you say okay, the download proceeds -- in this case saving the
        ntfree.zip file to my specified directory.

        BUT, if you look at the properties of this file, Microsoft/IE has added a
        blocked Security category just below the regular Attributes boxes.
        It offers an unblock the file button and I did, whereupon the Security
        blocked properties text disappears from the properties window permanently.

        I then unzipped the file and the installation worked fine with
        no more corrupt file warnings or odd cursor behaviour.

        Searched other recent executable file downloads and discovered my
        original Notetab installation file had a similar blocked property. That one
        had been executed without unblocking first, and may have been responsible
        for a corrupt NoteTab installation. (This "block" has corrupted other files
        from other programs according to some Web individuals.)

        A friend with XP SP2 and Netscape as well as Internet Explorer 6
        tried downloading the same file with both programs but into separate
        directories to avoid overwriting. Only the file downloaded with
        IE6 had "blocked" properties. Although the files showed the same size,
        and kept the same size after unblocking, there is obviously something
        different about the original IE download. Even the latest XP books,
        that claim to have SP2 updated info, say nothing about
        this blocking property. Does not make me feel confident to use
        downloaded executable files obtained with IE. Maybe they are
        totally okay after unblocking. Maybe.

        Know this has strayed OT, but hope this will help someone else.

        Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario

        >> From: "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
        >>Just a wild-assed-guess: Any chance this is some kind of permissions
        >>problem?
        >>Are you running as Administrator? If not, can you replicate the problem
        >>while running as Administrator? Regards ... Alec
        > using a new machine that came with Win XP SP2
        > preinstalled. I downloaded Notetab Light V4.95
        > and have used it with no problems for three months.
        [until after using the Help Topics feature triggered a warning]
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi Steve and Alex,

          If this seems like it will go on much more, please start posting
          on the Off Topic list. If you find a resolution, please feel free
          to post it back over here. (I did not read this message yet, so
          maybe there's a fix in it. :) Please see my signature line to
          subscribe to it or go to: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm. TIA

          >Thanks Alex for replying.
          >
          >In fact I am running as the Owner, which in XP Home has the full
          >administrator permissions and is the only login identity on this
          >personal use machine.
          > Know this has strayed OT, but hope this will help someone else.

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm