Re: [NTB] Browsers.dat changes

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi Don,

      This is all I have for FireFox, but I think you can still change
      settings in FireFox to get it to work somewhat correctly with
      NoteTab. Mozilla browsers are a pain to get working. There seems
      to be a lot of variables, because different thinks work on
      different machines.

      You need to download the extension for the browser tabs and
      configure it to always open in the same tab. There might not be
      the exact feature; the latest version of FireFox did away with
      some of the extensions. Look under FireFox's Tools and then click
      on Extensions.

      You might try asking on the NoteTab and HTML list about the
      latest configurations to make it work. Use FireFox in you subject
      and also search the HTML archives for it. Search the archives for
      FireFox. As Don mentioned, there's already a lot of documentation
      about this. Perhaps too much now. (See below or in the footer to
      get to the HTML list.)

      You can try entering Mozilla FireFox in your Browsers.dat file.
      You use the parent folder name that the .exe is in. Read Help on
      Browsers.dat Here's some examples; also see the Launch Document
      method below and the Clip. (You might try it w/o the -browser
      switch as well.) The first two are just two different things to
      try. You probably shouldn't use both at the same time.

      [FireFox]
      Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
      UseDDE=0
      Application=FireFox

      [Mozilla FireFox]
      Command=C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
      Application=FireFox

      [Opera6]
      ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of the browser
      Command=Opera.exe
      UseDDE=1
      Application=E:\Browsers\Opera 6.2\Opera.exe
      DDECommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

      [NetCaptor]
      Command=E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe
      Application=NetCaptor

      You might also try configuring it in Custom Launch. You use the
      Launch Document icon to execute it. It will always open a new
      window though. You might get the tab extension and tabbed interface
      (I forget exactly what they are called, but configure it to always
      open in a new tab - not new window.)

      C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe ^**

      The ^** tells NoteTab to open the focused documents temporary file
      (all files needing saving) in program before it. FireFox in the
      example. If the file does not need saving then the saved file will
      be opened.

      A Clip would look like this:

      <--- Copy below this line --->
      H=View in FireFox
      ; eMailed on 09-14-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
      ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

      ^!"C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

      <--- Copy above this line --->
      <--- Right click over a Library --->
      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

      either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
      _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

      Clips or Scripts list for them.

      are for discussion of those programs.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      lists.

      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
      getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

      >Currently, when I click on the View in Browser button, or hit F8,
      >Fiefox comes up, but I get both a blank untitled page, and a
      >mystery page at Microsoft. The page that is displayed in NoteTab
      >does not come up.
      >
      >What do I need to add to my browsers.dat file to make Firefox act
      >properly from within NoteTab?

      Happy HTML'n!

      http://www.clean-funnies.com
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
        Don Strack wrote:
        > Currently, when I click on the View in Browser button, or hit F8, Fiefox
        > comes up, but I get both a blank untitled page, and a mystery page at
        > Microsoft. The page that is displayed in NoteTab does not come up.
        >
        > What do I need to add to my browsers.dat file to make Firefox act
        properly
        > from within NoteTab?
        >
        > Don Strack

        Don,

        I recall only 1 list responder that said they had FireFox working
        correctly. I've tried dozens of combinations, downloaded various
        extensions and the only thing I could find that would dependably let you
        view a page is the browsers.dat below. Basically, all it does is show a
        file in html, you have no menues or copy/paste ability, but, it does
        reproduce a page well.

        The height, width parameters can be eliminated or changed if you like
        but the -browser parameter must stay.

        Jody says,
        > NoteTab. Mozilla browsers are a pain to get working. There seems
        > to be a lot of variables, because different thinks work on
        > different machines.

        I have absolutely no trouble with Mozilla, it is my primary browser.
        The browsers.dat entry is below. Mozilla is flawless on my machine.

        [ff-browser]
        Command=C:\FireFox\FireFox.exe -height 598 -width 798 -browser
        UseDDE=0
        Application=C:\FireFox\FireFox.exe
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        DdeCommand=C:\FireFox\FireFox.exe
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

        [moz]
        Command=c:\mozilla\mozilla.exe -quiet -width 798 -height 598
        UseDDE=0
        Application=c:\mozilla\Mozilla
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

        ºvº
        hrs <04-11-29> hsavage@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
          Hi Harvey, Don, and Others,

          Let's take this over to the NoteTab and HTML list. Once we discuss
          this out *again*, ;) I'll add any new information to the
          different things tried and have some success and then post it
          over on that list. Most people wanting to use the View in Browser
          and View in Other Browser are doing HTML work, so it's best that
          we don't bother the folk on this list, the NoteTab Basic list
          with all this. I think we are getting very repetitious also. Once
          I get my compilation finished, we can just refer people to it.
          Thanks! (Yes, it should be an FAQ Don, actually, it is one of the
          FAQs I have been working on for my site, but it's not ready to
          announce yet though) More below...

          > Harvey wrote:
          >Don,
          >
          >I recall only 1 list responder that said they had FireFox working
          >correctly. I've tried dozens of combinations, downloaded various
          >extensions and the only thing I could find that would dependably
          >let you view a page is the browsers.dat below. Basically, all it
          >does is show a file in html, you have no menues or copy/paste
          >ability, but, it does reproduce a page well.
          >
          >Jody says,
          > > NoteTab. Mozilla browsers are a pain to get working. There seems
          > > to be a lot of variables, because different thinks work on
          > > different machines.
          >
          >I have absolutely no trouble with Mozilla, it is my primary browser.
          >The browsers.dat entry is below. Mozilla is flawless on my machine.

          I suppose I used Mozilla too loosely. I meant the Mozilla family
          of browsers: NetScape, Mozilla, FireFox, etc., not just Mozilla,
          the actual Mozilla browser. There are quite a few that cannot get
          it working correctly either from NoteTab. I'm one of them using
          your code below with modifications for my machine. Mine works
          better if I use -browser instead of -quiet. If I use -quiet no
          page is loaded. If I use -browser, I get a page, but it is like a
          full screen mode. Only the Titlebar and the page is shown. I do
          have mine configured in the Other Browser Shift+F8.

          [Mozilla]
          ; Command=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\mozilla.exe -quiet
          Command=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\mozilla.exe -browser
          UseDDE=0
          Application=E:\Browsers\Mozilla
          DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
          Topic=WWW_OpenURL
          Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

          I went back to putting it in the Other Browser (Shift+F8) and
          changed the Application to the name .exe name and took out the -
          browser or -quiet and it works in View Other Browser now, but
          always opens a new window. I have to change mine back so that it
          will reuse the same window. I can live without the ToolBar, etc.

          [mozilla]
          Command=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
          UseDDE=0
          Application=Mozilla

          Happy HTML'n!

          http://www.clean-funnies.com
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
            hsavage wrote:
            > Don Strack wrote:
            > > Currently, when I click on the View in Browser button, or hit F8, Fiefox
            > > comes up, but I get both a blank untitled page, and a mystery page at
            > > Microsoft. The page that is displayed in NoteTab does not come up.
            > >
            > > What do I need to add to my browsers.dat file to make Firefox act
            > properly
            > > from within NoteTab?
            > >
            > > Don Strack
            >
            > Don,
            >
            > I recall only 1 list responder that said they had FireFox working
            > correctly. I've tried dozens of combinations, downloaded various
            > extensions and the only thing I could find that would dependably let you
            > view a page is the browsers.dat below. Basically, all it does is show a
            > file in html, you have no menues or copy/paste ability, but, it does
            > reproduce a page well.

            Didn't used to work for me. I had to use the clip we developed
            originally. It works now and I didn't manually adjust my browser dat
            file. I think there are lots of us with it working and few for whom it
            is not. As Jody said, it may even have to do with extensions I happen
            to have enabled, or perhaps configuration settings? Who knows. It does
            work but it used to work (or not) like yours.