Re: [NTB] How do I set-up NoteTab light on XP?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
      jimmieballgame wrote:

      > I used NoteTab Light on my PC with Windows ME.
      >
      > I just put on XP (SP1) and I downloaded the latest NoteTab Light
      > (because it's the greatest program EVER).
      >
      > I read somewhere that Windows XP sometimes didn't allow NoteTab to
      > take over for Norepad and what to do to try to force it to take it.
      >
      > In the READ ME file, all they explain is how to put it over an old
      > copy of NoteTab. I didn't find anywhere a how-to for a fresh install.

      A fresh install is just like any other, you either accept the default
      folder or choose your own. The default is probably C:\Program
      Files\NoteTab, or something very close to that.

      Most of my experience is with NotePro but Lite should have an option to
      use the registry or not. I do not.

      > I can get the NoteTab Light 'READ ME' file (in NoteTab, but nothing
      > else. It's not listed as one of the programs on my PC.

      NoteTab should have created a folder containing its files in the Start >
      Programs Menu, you can examine the shortcuts or use the file manager to
      locate NoteTab's installation.

      > A couple of problems.... I can not for the life of me, find out
      > where you check the box to have NoteTab take over for Note Pad.

      The option I think you're referring is under the Help Menu at the top of
      the NoteTab window, it has - Replace MSNotepad and Restore MSNotepad
      near the bottom of the drop down menu.

      > And now, I can't find out what I read about how to do it if it
      > doesn't take it.

      Try the Help menu selection and write back if you need further help.
      After doing this you will probably get the Windows warning about a
      system file changing and be asked to restore it, choose not to restore
      the file which should be NotePad.

      > I would really appreciate it if I could get some help with this. I'm
      > going crazy without my NoteTab!!!!

      In the interim, try to make sure your file manager allows you to see all
      Hidden and System files on your computer.

      ºvº
      hrs <04-11-14> hsavage@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
        Hi Jimmie,

        There's a number of things you can do...

        >Still having trouble.....
        >
        >I found the "Replace MSNotepad and Restore MSNotepad".
        >
        >Clicked on "Replace MSNotepad" and I got a warning message
        >saying:
        >
        >"Warning: This feature may fail to work due to the Windows File
        >Protection (WFP) monitoring system. Windows may ask you to
        >restore the original MS Notepad. Cancel that message window if
        >you want to run NoteTab instead of MS Notepad. Windows will then
        >ask you again if you want to keep the unrecognized file version.
        >You should answer YES."
        >
        >Windows did not ask me to restore the original MS Notepad. No
        >window opened up except the above warning message.
        >
        >I miss NoteTab so much, that I am willing to go back to Windows
        >ME so I can use my old copy on my old hard drive.

        Ouch! I promise you to get something working so long as you don't
        threaten us like that anymore. :-)

        Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
        Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
        convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
        way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
        default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
        Utilities Library.

        The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
        Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
        the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
        from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
        restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
        those messages.)

        Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
        Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
        Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.
        If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
        for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
        NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
        following:

        Add SendTo Shortcut
        Add to Edit HTML file type
        Add IE Default HTML Editor
        Restore IE Default HTML Editor

        If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
        Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
        it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

        You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
        Computer) but that is more of a topic for the Off Topic list.

        I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
        Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out, please write
        me a private eMail for it.

        >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
        >> jimmieballgame wrote:
        >> >
        >> > I used NoteTab Light on my PC with Windows ME.
        >> >
        >> > I just put on XP (SP1) and I downloaded the latest NoteTab Light
        >> > (because it's the greatest program EVER).
        >> >
        >> > I read somewhere that Windows XP sometimes didn't allow NoteTab to
        >> > take over for Norepad and what to do to try to force it to take it.
        >> >
        >> > In the READ ME file, all they explain is how to put it over an old
        >> > copy of NoteTab. I didn't find anywhere a how-to for a fresh install.
        >>
        >> A fresh install is just like any other, you either accept the default
        >> folder or choose your own. The default is probably C:\Program
        >> Files\NoteTab, or something very close to that.
        >>
        >> Most of my experience is with NotePro but Lite should have an option to
        >> use the registry or not. I do not.
        >>
        >> > I can get the NoteTab Light 'READ ME' file (in NoteTab, but nothing
        >> > else. It's not listed as one of the programs on my PC.
        >>
        >> NoteTab should have created a folder containing its files in the
        >Start >
        >> Programs Menu, you can examine the shortcuts or use the file manager to
        >> locate NoteTab's installation.
        >>
        >> > A couple of problems.... I can not for the life of me, find out
        >> > where you check the box to have NoteTab take over for Note Pad.
        >>
        >> The option I think you're referring is under the Help Menu at the
        >top of
        >> the NoteTab window, it has - Replace MSNotepad and Restore MSNotepad
        >> near the bottom of the drop down menu.
        >>
        >> > And now, I can't find out what I read about how to do it if it
        >> > doesn't take it.
        >>
        >> Try the Help menu selection and write back if you need further help.
        >> After doing this you will probably get the Windows warning about a
        >> system file changing and be asked to restore it, choose not to restore
        >> the file which should be NotePad.
        >>
        >> > I would really appreciate it if I could get some help with this. I'm
        >> > going crazy without my NoteTab!!!!
        >>
        >> In the interim, try to make sure your file manager allows you to see
        >all
        >> Hidden and System files on your computer.
        >>
        >> ºvº
        >> hrs <04-11-14> hsavage@p...

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Happy Tab'n,

      • jimmieballgame
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2004
          Still having trouble.....

          I found the "Replace MSNotepad and Restore MSNotepad".

          Clicked on "Replace MSNotepad" and I got a warning message saying:

          "Warning: This feature may fail to work due to the Windows File
          Protection (WFP) monitoring system. Windows may ask you to restore the
          original MS Notepad. Cancel that message window if you want to run
          NoteTab instead of MS Notepad. Windows will then ask you again if you
          want to keep the unrecognized file version. You should answer YES."

          Windows did not ask me to restore the original MS Notepad. No window
          opened up except the above warning message.

          I miss NoteTab so much, that I am willing to go back to Windows ME so
          I can use my old copy on my old hard drive.

          Any more ideas?

          Thank you

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
          > jimmieballgame wrote:
          > >
          > > I used NoteTab Light on my PC with Windows ME.
          > >
          > > I just put on XP (SP1) and I downloaded the latest NoteTab Light
          > > (because it's the greatest program EVER).
          > >
          > > I read somewhere that Windows XP sometimes didn't allow NoteTab to
          > > take over for Norepad and what to do to try to force it to take it.
          > >
          > > In the READ ME file, all they explain is how to put it over an old
          > > copy of NoteTab. I didn't find anywhere a how-to for a fresh install.
          >
          > A fresh install is just like any other, you either accept the default
          > folder or choose your own. The default is probably C:\Program
          > Files\NoteTab, or something very close to that.
          >
          > Most of my experience is with NotePro but Lite should have an option to
          > use the registry or not. I do not.
          >
          > > I can get the NoteTab Light 'READ ME' file (in NoteTab, but nothing
          > > else. It's not listed as one of the programs on my PC.
          >
          > NoteTab should have created a folder containing its files in the
          Start >
          > Programs Menu, you can examine the shortcuts or use the file manager to
          > locate NoteTab's installation.
          >
          > > A couple of problems.... I can not for the life of me, find out
          > > where you check the box to have NoteTab take over for Note Pad.
          >
          > The option I think you're referring is under the Help Menu at the
          top of
          > the NoteTab window, it has - Replace MSNotepad and Restore MSNotepad
          > near the bottom of the drop down menu.
          >
          > > And now, I can't find out what I read about how to do it if it
          > > doesn't take it.
          >
          > Try the Help menu selection and write back if you need further help.
          > After doing this you will probably get the Windows warning about a
          > system file changing and be asked to restore it, choose not to restore
          > the file which should be NotePad.
          >
          > > I would really appreciate it if I could get some help with this. I'm
          > > going crazy without my NoteTab!!!!
          >
          > In the interim, try to make sure your file manager allows you to see
          all
          > Hidden and System files on your computer.
          >
          > ºvº
          > hrs <04-11-14> hsavage@p...
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2004
            there are people who got it renamed correctly, however even until you do
            you should be able to get a copy installed, drag it to the start bar or
            whatever that bar is called at the bottom of your screen and click that
            to start it and make it the default for .txt file type or whatever you want

            tell us more about what you are trying to do ... I have it running in
            many versions of windows

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2004
              jimmieballgame wrote:

              > Still having trouble.....
              >
              > I found the "Replace MSNotepad and Restore MSNotepad".
              >
              > Clicked on "Replace MSNotepad" and I got a warning message saying:
              >
              > "Warning: This feature may fail to work due to the Windows File
              > Protection (WFP) monitoring system. Windows may ask you to restore the
              > original MS Notepad. Cancel that message window if you want to run
              > NoteTab instead of MS Notepad. Windows will then ask you again if you
              > want to keep the unrecognized file version. You should answer YES."
              >
              > Windows did not ask me to restore the original MS Notepad. No window
              > opened up except the above warning message.
              >
              > I miss NoteTab so much, that I am willing to go back to Windows ME so
              > I can use my old copy on my old hard drive.
              >

              > Any more ideas?
              >
              > Thank you

              jimmie,

              Did you, in fact, Cancel the window, as the message suggested to
              continue using NoteTab?

              I use XP Home and I've never had any trouble substituting NoteTab for
              NotePad.

              When this was a hot topic a few days ago I went thru all the steps again
              with complete success

              If you have your file manager (windows explorer or like) setup to see
              all system and hidden files you might also to
              'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache' and delete the file Notepad.exe, which I
              did with no ill effects.

              ºvº
              hrs <04-11-20> hsavage@...
            • jimmieballgame
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2004
                YES !!!!

                Thank you Jody !!!!

                Your advice about going into NoteTab's Options, clicking on the
                Associations tab, typing in txt and then clicking on the Add button
                worked just fine.

                My thanks to hsavage & Don Passenger as well for their advice.

                What was funny, the other day I was in somebody's office and I
                mentioned NoteTab Light and how great it was. My friend downloaded it
                then and there and we had it going in about 5 minutes. Me? It took
                hours and hours with a little help from my NoteTab friends. Thanks again.

                Jimmie