Re: [NTB] Open .otl document and immediately jump to specified heading?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
      Steve:

      > Notetab.exe /head="Chapter 13"

      This needs to go to the clip-list if further discussion required but using a
      separate INI file and/or initial Library/Clip per documented parameters
      (/INI=FileName , /L=LibraryName:RunClip ) should allow this to be
      accomplished.

      I looked in the documentation for some clip function that would allow a clip
      to get access to the initial command-line so you could efectively define
      your own enhancements to Notetab's builtin command-line processing but if it
      exists can't find it in Help-Clips.

      Maybe Eric could add it in the rumored next pre-Notetab 5 release it seems
      like its absence must just be an oversite :-)

      Anyway, if its really not there, you could define an environment variable
      with a DOS Set command then "read" its value with ^$ExpandEnv("Str")$ in
      initial clip per the /L= parameter. This would require an (I think) two-line
      BAT file instead of simple shorcut or command-line but depending on how you
      were intending to use it should do the trick.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
        Alec,

        Thanks for the reply. :-)

        Er, but I think I'll wait for for the likes of

        Notetab.exe MyFile.otl /head="Chapter 13"

        to be implemented. :-(

        -- Steve

        Alec Burgess wrote:

        > Steve:
        >
        > > Notetab.exe /head="Chapter 13"
        >
        > This needs to go to the clip-list if further discussion required but using a
        > separate INI file and/or initial Library/Clip per documented parameters
        > (/INI=FileName , /L=LibraryName:RunClip ) should allow this to be
        > accomplished.
        >
        > I looked in the documentation for some clip function that would allow a clip
        > to get access to the initial command-line so you could efectively define
        > your own enhancements to Notetab's builtin command-line processing but if it
        > exists can't find it in Help-Clips.
        >
        > Maybe Eric could add it in the rumored next pre-Notetab 5 release it seems
        > like its absence must just be an oversite :-)
        >
        > Anyway, if its really not there, you could define an environment variable
        > with a DOS Set command then "read" its value with ^$ExpandEnv("Str")$ in
        > initial clip per the /L= parameter. This would require an (I think) two-line
        > BAT file instead of simple shorcut or command-line but depending on how you
        > were intending to use it should do the trick.
        >
        > Regards ... Alec
        > --

      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
          Hi Steve,

          I made up a test outline file that may meet your needs. Create a second
          outline, and place a series of lines in it like:

          [C:\test3.otl::Dell]
          [C:\test3.otl::Gateway]
          [C:\test3.otl::Acer]

          Now, if you double-click on one of the lines above, NoteTab will open the
          test3.otl file and position the cursor at the beginning of the Dell, Gateway,
          or Acer heading respectively.

          HTH

          Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
            Hi Steve,

            >Er, but I think I'll wait for for the likes of
            >
            > Notetab.exe MyFile.otl /head="Chapter 13"

            The closest we have that you might have seen is the one to open a Library:Clip.

            If you are always wanting to do the same Outline/Heading then you could use
            the command-line above and just leave out the Clip part. Build a Library with
            an OnOpen in it and put a command in it to set the topic index. ;) Sign up
            for the Clips list if you need help with it. See the footer.

            Happy Tab'n,