Hyperlinks instead of clips to run programs

  • jelkscabaniss@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      One of the great things about NoteTab are links in plain .txt
      documents, like [this] -- double-clicking the word "this" in those
      brackets opens "this.txt".

      But it can also run programs -- *without* having to use clips! For
      example:

      [notepad.exe]
      [notepad.exe d:\MyDocs\foo.txt]

      This works because notepad.exe is in the path -- you can just as
      easily run Notepad in a command prompt without prefixing its
      location.

      But this:

      [excel.exe]

      does NOT work, nor does typing "excel.exe" at a command prompt,
      because Excel is not in my %PATH%. Same with, for
      example, "iexplore.exe".

      However, typing "start excel" (or "start iexplore") at the command
      prompt DOES work! Why? What does XP's "start" know that the
      ordinary command processor doesn't? (Note that the Windows
      GUI's "Start button -> Run" apparently works similarly.)

      Here's my question: how can I run Excel, Winword, IE, etc. within a
      hyperlink to work like the START command? I've got a working link
      that reads something like (pardon the line wrapping) ...

      ["C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10
      \excel.exe" "D:\MyDocs\foo\bar.xls"]

      Whew! There's got to be a better way.

      Now of course there are "workarounds" -- I could create batch files
      for each and every one of these programs and put them in the path, I
      could extend the %PATH%, etc., etc.

      But can an *already* "START-aware" program like Excel, etc. be
      invoked through a hyperlink *directly* from within NoteTab Pro
      without having to resort to these "workarounds"?

      Thanks,

      /Jelks