Making the text cursor more visible

  • Daniel Prince
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
      Is there any way to make the text cursor more visible in NoteTab
      Standard version 4.95? (That is the latest version isn't it?)

      If I could change the color, make it bigger or thicker it would be much
      easier for me to find it. The text cursor in Agent 1.93 is thicker than
      the one in NoteTab and I can find it much easier. Thank you in advance
      for all replies.
      in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
      it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
        I find my text cursor is controlled by a windows setting. I am not on
        standard however.
        start/control panel/mouse/pointer options (tab) select something else
        like MAGNIFIED.

        There is even a mouse pointer which makes a little mouse (like with
        cheese) hold the cursor. Pretty visible and annoying.

        Daniel Prince wrote:
        > Is there any way to make the text cursor more visible in NoteTab
        > Standard version 4.95? (That is the latest version isn't it?)
        >
        > If I could change the color, make it bigger or thicker it would be much
        > easier for me to find it. The text cursor in Agent 1.93 is thicker than
        > the one in NoteTab and I can find it much easier. Thank you in advance
        > for all replies.
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
          I sometimes have had trouble finding the cursor too but never tried to
          find how to make it more visible until this question was asked. Thanks
          for prompting me to do so.

          I couldn't find the option that Don mentioned (using Win ME) but I did
          find cursor control in the Accessibility Options under Display/Cursor
          Width. My cursor is now wider on most programs now but unfortunately,
          not in NoteTab.

          sisterscape

          --- Don Passenger <dpasseng@...> wrote:

          > I find my text cursor is controlled by a windows setting. I am not
          > on
          > standard however.
          > start/control panel/mouse/pointer options (tab) select something else
          >
          > like MAGNIFIED.
          >
          > There is even a mouse pointer which makes a little mouse (like with
          > cheese) hold the cursor. Pretty visible and annoying.
          >
          > Daniel Prince wrote:
          > > Is there any way to make the text cursor more visible in NoteTab
          > > Standard version 4.95? (That is the latest version isn't it?)
          > >
          > > If I could change the color, make it bigger or thicker it would be
          > much
          > > easier for me to find it. The text cursor in Agent 1.93 is thicker
          > than
          > > the one in NoteTab and I can find it much easier. Thank you in
          > advance
          > > for all replies.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004

            > If I could change the color, make it bigger or thicker it would be
            much
            > easier for me to find it.

            In addition to the previous reactions: there is an option

            <Show location of the pointer when I press the CTRL key>

            in the mouse-settings (mouse-control panel). It's on the third tab in
            my version of Windows. What it does: it traces circles around the
            position of the cursor (for about half a second), just enough to grab
            your attention...

            Hugo
          • Daniel Prince
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
              On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:30:35 -0000, you wrote:
              >In addition to the previous reactions: there is an option
              >
              ><Show location of the pointer when I press the CTRL key>
              >
              >in the mouse-settings (mouse-control panel). It's on the third tab in
              >my version of Windows. What it does: it traces circles around the
              >position of the cursor (for about half a second), just enough to grab
              >your attention...

              But that is the MOUSE cursor and not the text cursor. I prefer to use
              the keyboard whenever I can so I move the mouse cursor off the screen.
              The text cursor is the one that moves when you type or use the arrow
              keys.

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
                On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:03:59 -0400, you wrote:

                >I find my text cursor is controlled by a windows setting. I am not on
                >standard however.
                >start/control panel/mouse/pointer options (tab) select something else
                >like MAGNIFIED.
                >
                >There is even a mouse pointer which makes a little mouse (like with
                >cheese) hold the cursor. Pretty visible and annoying.

                But that is the MOUSE cursor and not the text cursor. I prefer to use
                the keyboard whenever I can so I move the mouse cursor off the screen.
                The text cursor is the one that moves when you type or use the arrow
                keys.

                in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
                it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
                  --

                  The Mouse controlled object is a "Pointer" the Text position indicator
                  is a "Caret". The Mouse POINTER is controlled in the Mouse section of

                  The SAME place you can change the pointers (including the CARET, called
                  "Text Select" in the Pointers tab.)

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
                    Hi sisterscape and Daniel,

                    >> I sometimes have had trouble finding the cursor too but never
                    >> tried to find how to make it more visible until this question
                    >> was asked. Thanks for prompting me to do so.
                    >
                    >I couldn't find the option that Don mentioned (using Win ME) but
                    >I did find cursor control in the Accessibility Options under
                    >Display/Cursor Width. My cursor is now wider on most programs now
                    >but unfortunately, not in NoteTab.

                    It doesn't work in Eudora 4.32 either. In NoteTab you can press
                    the Insert key, but you will be in overwrite mode, so if you use
                    that method you'll always have to remember to toggle it.

                    See ya in the funnies,
                    Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                    http://www.clean-funnies.com
                  • Daniel Prince
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 26, 2004
                      On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:44:15 -0700, you wrote:

                      >The Mouse controlled object is a "Pointer" the Text position indicator
                      >is a "Caret". The Mouse POINTER is controlled in the Mouse section of
                      >the Control Panel under the "Pointers" tab.
                      >
                      >The SAME place you can change the pointers (including the CARET, called
                      >"Text Select" in the Pointers tab.)

                      I just tried that and it did not change the thing that moves when I type
                      or use the arrow keys in NoteTab. It did change the pointer that I can
                      move with the mouse over text.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 27, 2004
                        On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:36:15 -0500, Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
                        wrote:

                        >>> I sometimes have had trouble finding the cursor too but never
                        >>> tried to find how to make it more visible until this question
                        >>> was asked. Thanks for prompting me to do so.
                        >>
                        >>I couldn't find the option that Don mentioned (using Win ME) but
                        >>I did find cursor control in the Accessibility Options under
                        >>Display/Cursor Width. My cursor is now wider on most programs now
                        >>but unfortunately, not in NoteTab.
                        >
                        >It doesn't work in Eudora 4.32 either. In NoteTab you can press
                        >the Insert key, but you will be in overwrite mode, so if you use
                        >that method you'll always have to remember to toggle it.

                        Pressing the insert key does not make the text cursor any more visible
                        for me.
                        in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
                        it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.
                      • Pete Hoyle
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                          At 11:43 PM 10/27/2004, Daniel Prince wrote:

                          >On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:36:15 -0500, Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
                          >wrote:
                          >>.... In NoteTab you can press
                          >>the Insert key, but you will be in overwrite mode, so if you use
                          >>that method you'll always have to remember to toggle it.
                          >
                          >Pressing the insert key does not make the text cursor any more visible
                          >for me.
                          >--

                          Strange - In my copy of Notetab Pro, when I press the "Insert" key and change to overlay mode, the insertion point cursor disappears entirely and the text insertion point is marked by having the character to be overlaid flash, reversing color at the normal blink rate.

                          The one thing I could find to change in Windows (XP) about the text insertion point cursor is that blink rate. You do that from the Keyboard option of Windows Control Panel. You might find that if you make it blink faster it will be more noticeable.

                          There is a write-up on changing this attribute at:
                          <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/cursorblinkrate.mspx>

                          --
                          Pete Hoyle -- hoylesp@... (or use more permanent hoylesp@... for forwarding)
                        • Daniel Prince
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                            On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:20:35 -0500, you wrote:

                            >At 11:43 PM 10/27/2004, Daniel Prince wrote:
                            >
                            >>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:36:15 -0500, Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
                            >>wrote:
                            >>>.... In NoteTab you can press
                            >>>the Insert key, but you will be in overwrite mode, so if you use
                            >>>that method you'll always have to remember to toggle it.
                            >>
                            >>Pressing the insert key does not make the text cursor any more visible
                            >>for me.
                            >>--
                            >
                            >Strange - In my copy of Notetab Pro, when I press the "Insert" key and
                            >change to overlay mode, the insertion point cursor disappears entirely
                            >and the text insertion point is marked by having the character to be
                            >overlaid flash, reversing color at the normal blink rate.

                            I use NoteTab standard 4.95 and I can not see any difference between
                            insert and overlay mode.

                            >The one thing I could find to change in Windows (XP) about the text
                            >insertion point cursor is that blink rate. You do that from the
                            >Keyboard option of Windows Control Panel. You might find that if
                            >you make it blink faster it will be more noticeable.
                            >
                            >There is a write-up on changing this attribute at:
                            ><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/cursorblinkrate.mspx>

                            I looked and I already have it set to the fastest available rate.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                              Hi Pete and Daniel,

                              >>> .... In NoteTab you can press the Insert key, but you will be
                              >>> in overwrite mode, so if you use that method you'll always
                              >>> have to remember to toggle it.
                              >>
                              >> Pressing the insert key does not make the text cursor any more
                              >> visible for me.

                              Mine gets the size of a character width, a space, etc. Oh, OK, I
                              just tested in Std/Light. It has no effect there as far as the
                              cursor goes, only in Pro.

                              >Strange - In my copy of Notetab Pro, when I press the "Insert"
                              >key and change to overlay mode, the insertion point cursor
                              >disappears entirely and the text insertion point is marked by
                              >having the character to be overlaid flash, reversing color at the
                              >normal blink rate.

                              I don't know what all that means, but mine flashes on/off in a
                              black square the width of a space and as tall as the regular
                              cursor.

                              >The one thing I could find to change in Windows (XP) about the
                              >text insertion point cursor is that blink rate. You do that from
                              >the Keyboard option of Windows Control Panel. You might find that
                              >if you make it blink faster it will be more noticeable.
                              >
                              >There is a write-up on changing this attribute at:
                              ><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/cursorblinkrate.mspx>

                              Download CSE HTML Validator Lite - it is freeware, does not time
                              out, etc. and does a good job of validating web pages so that
                              they work correctly in all browsers. It works directly from
                              NoteTab's Tool menu and a nice Clipbook Library is made so that
                              when you click on an error it highlights that line in the HTML
                              file! Really makes validating HTML pages easy and fast! You can
                              test it out online and download from my main:

                              NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                              http://www.notetab.net/

                              You can't miss the online checking form to put in the link to
                              whatever web page you want. I'm sure you'll at least download the
                              freeware version once you see the online version work! :)

                              If you decide to buy it, I can give a 10% discount to you. Use this
                              coupon when you order: NOTETABSAVE10

                              Download CSE Validator Lite Now!
                              http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

                              Happy Tab'n,

                            • Dave
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 5, 2004
                                Hi
                                Have a look at your .ini file it should look like the one below ,if it is
                                not ,the sounds are usually in windows\media or were ever you have put them
                                and find the one you want and change the .ini to suit.
                                PasteBoardDivider="^P^PH=""
                                BrowserName=ie
                                BrowserName2=
                                DefaultOpenDir=D:\Myths-Gods
                                DefaultSaveDir=D:\
                                PasteSound=PasteBoardDivider="^P^PH=""
                                BrowserName=ie
                                BrowserName2=
                                DefaultOpenDir=D:\Myths-Gods
                                DefaultSaveDir=D:\
                                PasteSound=c:\windows\media\ding.wav
                                TemplateOpenDir=D:\NTS\Documents
                                TemplateSaveDir=D:\NTS\Templates
                                LinksOpenDir=
                                DefaultColors=1
                                PageColor=12632256

                                THANKYOU DAVE

                                > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:20:35 -0500, you wrote:
                                >

                                >>At 11:43 PM 10/27/2004, Daniel Prince wrote:

                                >>>Pressing the insert key does not make the text cursor any more visible
                                >>>for me.
                                >>>--
                                >>
                                >>Strange - In my copy of Notetab Pro, when I press the "Insert" key and
                                >>change to overlay mode, the insertion point cursor disappears entirely
                                >>and the text insertion point is marked by having the character to be
                                >>overlaid flash, reversing color at the normal blink rate.
                                >
                                > I use NoteTab standard 4.95 and I can not see any difference between
                                > insert and overlay mode.
                                >
                                >>The one thing I could find to change in Windows (XP) about the text
                                >>insertion point cursor is that blink rate. You do that from the
                                >>Keyboard option of Windows Control Panel. You might find that if
                                >>you make it blink faster it will be more noticeable.
                                >>
                                >>There is a write-up on changing this attribute at:
                                >><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/cursorblinkrate.mspx>
                                >
                                > I looked and I already have it set to the fastest available rate.
                                > --
                                > I am TERRIBLY cruel to my cat. I tease him with a vine tendril
                                > until he either jumps up in the air to bat at it or zooms around
                                > in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
                                > it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Dave
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 5, 2004
                                  Hi
                                  I sent you the wrong email sorry??
                                  THANKYOU DAVE
                                  > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:20:35 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>At 11:43 PM 10/27/2004, Daniel Prince wrote:

                                  >>>Pressing the insert key does not make the text cursor any more visible
                                  >>>for me.
                                  >>>--
                                  >>
                                  >>Strange - In my copy of Notetab Pro, when I press the "Insert" key and
                                  >>change to overlay mode, the insertion point cursor disappears entirely
                                  >>and the text insertion point is marked by having the character to be
                                  >>overlaid flash, reversing color at the normal blink rate.
                                  >
                                  > I use NoteTab standard 4.95 and I can not see any difference between
                                  > insert and overlay mode.
                                  >
                                  >>The one thing I could find to change in Windows (XP) about the text
                                  >>insertion point cursor is that blink rate. You do that from the
                                  >>Keyboard option of Windows Control Panel. You might find that if
                                  >>you make it blink faster it will be more noticeable.
                                  >>
                                  >>There is a write-up on changing this attribute at:
                                  >><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/cursorblinkrate.mspx>
                                  >
                                  > I looked and I already have it set to the fastest available rate.
                                  > --
                                  > I am TERRIBLY cruel to my cat. I tease him with a vine tendril
                                  > until he either jumps up in the air to bat at it or zooms around
                                  > in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
                                  > it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Jock
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 11, 2005
                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Prince <neutrino1@c...> wrote:
                                    > Is there any way to make the text cursor more visible in NoteTab
                                    > Standard version 4.95? (That is the latest version isn't it?)
                                    >
                                    > If I could change the color, make it bigger or thicker it would be
                                    much
                                    > easier for me to find it. The text cursor in Agent 1.93 is
                                    thicker than
                                    > the one in NoteTab and I can find it much easier. Thank you in
                                    advance
                                    > for all replies.

                                    You can change it in Accesibility, but unfortunately this changes
                                    nothing in NoteTab where it is badly needed! Sad!

                                    -- Jock
                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 12, 2005
                                      Hi Jock
                                      I do not know what system you run but in cursors directory in windows find
                                      thicker one and select them for hand writing and text select in control
                                      panel\mouse pointers.

                                      THANKYOU DAVE in au