Scrolling / highlighting in NoteTab

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
      Hello,

      When I go beyond the end of the editing window in NoteTab while highlighting text, the display suddenly scrolls off at such a horrendous pace that I am at the end of the entire file before I know it.

      When I scroll back upward, the same thing happens again.

      It is almost impossible to highlight any text that extends beyond what is displayed at the moment within the editing window.

      Am I the only user with this problem? It occurs only with NoteTab. (NoteTab Pro 4.95)

      Is there a simple explanation / solution?

      Bruce
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
        I have the same problem. I have always wondered if windows has a
        setting to correct this ...
        What I do Bruce is to place the cursor where I want to start the
        highlight, then get to where I want to stop using the scroll bars. Hold
        down the shift key while clicking in the end spot and the desired text
        is highlighted. Thats my solution when I get a too fast scroll
        situation going.

        On the bright side at least it doesn't assume what I want to highlight
        like microsoft products do ... I hate having to wiggle wiggle wiggle in
        those products to not include punctuation or a whole word plus space or
        whatever.

      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
          Thanks Don,

          Perhaps I can get used to that. I doubt that a Windows setting is at fault. Even the old Notepad behaves more reasonably.

          Bruce

          -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht (HTML) wurde als Anlage beigefügt.-----
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
            Bruce,
            >Perhaps I can get used to that. I doubt that a Windows setting is at
            >fault. Even the old Notepad behaves more reasonably.

            I can't help, but I doubt it's Notetab's fault, not solely anyway. Because
            I have that problem with a couple of other editors but Notetab is very well
            behaved (in that respect <G>). Win2K here. Worked well on 95 too IIRC.

            Lotta
          • delmar3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
              _bruce.somers@..._ (mailto:bruce.somers@...) writes:

              Bruce, this is a downside feature of the mouse hold-drag. The further beyond
              the window you go, the faster it scrolls. It's been that way on all
              versions of windows, and in just about all programs I've worked in.

              I tend to use the shift and arrow keys for my selections. It's much more
              accurate.
              Bring your cursor to the start or end of your block, and hold shift key down
              while using the appropriate arrow keys.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
                I have it in most any program which is why I suspect windows. If you
                are pushing your limits on memory for example, that may slow it down,
                but this is a slimmer program so maybe it exhibits it more than others?
                Anyway Bruce, that is what works for me.

                Don

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
                  Hi Bruce and Others,

                  Well, my two cents as well I guess. :) If you are using Pro it
                  uses an input control called Turbo Charger which is very quick
                  and why Pro loads files quick and does real fast search and
                  replaces. However, it also causes the selecting by means of
                  scrolling to be very quick and making it a bit touchier than
                  other programs which have the same problem. I cannot really say
                  it is a problem as in a bug or glitch, but more of an annoyance.

                  You'll also notice that if you are selecting downward in a
                  document that there are two speeds: regular and double time for a
                  lack of better terms. Click down at the bottom (with lots of text
                  following) and check out the difference between holding your
                  mouse pointer near the bottom and then all the way at the bottom
                  of the window. It appears that horizontal scrolling goes double
                  speed. Perhaps Eric can let up on the gas a bit when going that
                  way. :) In the meantime use the keyboard as suggested and if you
                  do scroll horizontal make sure your mouse pointer is directly in
                  the middle of the line and be careful not to move it up/down out
                  of the row area. I find it is easier for me to highlight a bit of
                  test, press Ctrl+W to turn on word wrap and then select what I
                  need. The reason I select a little text first is to that I can
                  find it when it goes off screen when word wrap is turned on if it
                  is a long line and other long lines above it (or is that below).
                  <g>

                  See ya in the funnies,
                  Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
                    bruce.somers@... wrote:

                    >Hello,
                    >
                    >When I go beyond the end of the editing window in NoteTab while highlighting text, the display suddenly scrolls off at such a horrendous pace that I am at the end of the entire file before I know it.
                    >
                    >When I scroll back upward, the same thing happens again.
                    >
                    >It is almost impossible to highlight any text that extends beyond what is displayed at the moment within the editing window.
                    >
                    >Am I the only user with this problem? It occurs only with NoteTab. (NoteTab Pro 4.95)
                    >
                    >Is there a simple explanation / solution?
                    >
                    >Bruce

                    I used to have the same problem with Microsoft Word, and I don't know
                    what solves it. Most terxt applications seem to go into "turbo" when
                    the scolling reaches the bottom of the viewed screen. I work around it
                    by using the method of setting the caaret at the beginning of the
                    text, and then holding down the Shift key and clicking at the ending
                    place to "highlight" all between.

                    The run away scrolling can be controlled with the scrolling keys rather
                    than the click and hold method. (Hold Shift Down, Click at the
                    beginning, use the DOWN arrow to scroll while still holding the shift
                    key down.)
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 23, 2004
                      I am thinking the turbo scrolling may be related to the click speed
                      settings for the mouse, I note that the Logitech mouse did it LESS than
                      the Microsoft mouse did. Hence I suspect the Mouse repeat rate, OR the
                      Mouse.drv file.
                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 25, 2004
                        Thanks to all for the tips on Scrolling / highlighting in NoteTab.

                        I'm satisfied I guess, to know that the problem is universal and not confined to my configuration.

                        I made a discovery of sorts today - the excessive scrolling rate is much less grave, if I keep the cursor away from the left margin. I can move it back there if I must, when I have ended the scrolling.

                        If this has always been common knowledge, Jody will undoubtedly be pleased if no more than one or two of you tell me so.

                        Thanks for all the hints.

                        Bruce