Re: [NTB] When do you plan NoteTab to be SP2 aware?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 13, 2004
      Hi Jacques,

      Thank you for your message! Eric said that he hopes to have a
      maintenance release (minor upgrade) available for NoteTab by the
      end of October. That could man by January, or even later, and
      might even mean by the end of October. :) I cannot say if the
      features you mention below will be added. I don't know if they
      would be considered SP2 aware, or just added features. If it is
      just a matter of pointing some code towards it, then there might
      be a chance that it will be done so long as it worked well with
      NoteTab how it is now. It may depend a lot on the input control.
      Notepad uses the Microsoft Rich Edit Control (riched32.dll) and
      so does NoteTab Standard/Light, but Pro does not. So, perhaps it
      has a better chance of getting added in NoteTab Standard/Light.
      If it is simply a shell enhancement, then maybe it is easy to
      implement and added in all our software when applicative.

      There won't be a lot of features, if any added to this release.
      We don't want to spend a lot of time working on it when it would
      be better used in version 5. We do not have an estimated time of
      release for v5, but it is being worked on. It will take quite
      awhile to complete though. The program is being rewritten from
      scratch.

      I do have a Library about ready for public release that fixes the
      Replace/Restore MS Notepad feature that WinXP SP2 broke.
      Actually, it doesn't fix it, but has a Clip that can be used to
      toggle the feature on/off without manual editing in Windows
      Explorer (or My Computer) or the registry. I'll announce it on
      this list when it is completed. If anybody would like to gather
      some information for me via a Clip and also test out the current
      version, please write me at Jody@.... You should be an
      experienced computer user to use the Replace/Restore Clip. If you
      want to run a Clip to gather some information on your computer
      (mainly the location of notepad.* and two entries in the registry
      where it has information on your Windows version), you should
      know how to add Clips to a Library. Please write me at this
      address or Jody@..., not on this list. Thank you in
      advance!

      >Since beginning of the year, NTB is my main gateway PC side. I log
      >in it anything I read, write, do, differ. I convert for html, Palm
      >memos, wiki syntax, mind mapping: anything I think or deal about is
      >logged in NTB.
      >
      >Using mainly a Tablet PC, I was looking forward Win Sp2
      >enhancements. I was disappointed not to get new editing on the fly
      >features like dictionary alternatives to what I wrote, as told in
      >Tablet PC WritingPad tutorial.
      >
      >Then, using Tablet Journal or NotePad, I discovered these features
      >were activated in them. It appears some software are SP2 aware,
      >others not. Presently, Notetab is not.
      >
      >You may think I am eager to see a NoteTab upgrade :
      >• which allows WritingPad editing features
      >• which pastes in Ntb (pasteboard activated) handwriting-converted -
      >to-text-copied-to-clipboard, (a right click on selected hand-wrote
      >test in Journal).
      >
      >(I had to write this in Windows NotePad, and then send it to NTb).
      >
      >Congrats for all what you do for NTB users,
      >
      >Jacques

      Happy Tab'n,

    • Jeff Butler
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 13, 2004
        Hey all, I am using xpsp2, with note tab pro, every
        thing works great...J B
        --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jacques,
        >
        > Thank you for your message! Eric said that he hopes
        > to have a
        > maintenance release (minor upgrade) available for
        > NoteTab by the
        > end of October. That could man by January, or even
        > later, and
        > might even mean by the end of October. :) I cannot
        > say if the
        > features you mention below will be added. I don't
        > know if they
        > would be considered SP2 aware, or just added
        > features. If it is
        > just a matter of pointing some code towards it, then
        > there might
        > be a chance that it will be done so long as it
        > worked well with
        > NoteTab how it is now. It may depend a lot on the
        > input control.
        > Notepad uses the Microsoft Rich Edit Control
        > (riched32.dll) and
        > so does NoteTab Standard/Light, but Pro does not.
        > So, perhaps it
        > has a better chance of getting added in NoteTab
        > Standard/Light.
        > If it is simply a shell enhancement, then maybe it
        > is easy to
        > implement and added in all our software when
        > applicative.
      • Jacques Turbé
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2004
          > Thank you for your message! Eric said that he hopes to have a maintenance release
          > (minor upgrade) available for NoteTab by the end of October. That could man by
          > January, or even later, and might even mean by the end of October. :)

          Nice!

          > If it is simply a shell enhancement, then maybe it is easy to implement and added in
          > all our software when applicative.

          These editing features are enhancements of Tablet PC Writing Pad. And
          Writing Pad is a component of XP SP2 for Tablet PC. So, I believe (and
          hope) it is just to conform to some MS specs (sorry, I am not a tech
          ;).

          I did not investigate very far, but I've noticed:
          • MS: the new Tablet PC features work in NotePad, WordPad, Windows
          dialogs, but not in Outlook Express for instance.
          • Third party: it works in a utility like SlickRun but not in NoteTabPro !

          The new feature are very valuable for Tablet PC use: they bring great
          comfort when correcting mistakes.

          ---> If usefull I can send or upload snapshots of those features on a
          same sample test as they appear in Notepad and do not. in NoteTab.

          > I do have a Library about ready for public release that fixes the Replace/Restore MS
          > Notepad feature that WinXP SP2 broke. Actually, it doesn't fix it, but has a Clip that
          > can be used to toggle the feature on/off without manual editing in Windows Explorer
          > (or My Computer) or the registry. I'll announce it on this list when it is completed.

          Good!

          Jacques
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14, 2004
            Hi Jacques

            >> If it is simply a shell enhancement, then maybe it is easy to
            >> implement and added in all our software when applicative.
            >
            >These editing features are enhancements of Tablet PC Writing
            >Pad. And Writing Pad is a component of XP SP2 for Tablet PC. So,
            >I believe (and hope) it is just to conform to some MS specs
            >(sorry, I am not a tech ;).

            You'll need to excuses my ignorance here and explain something to
            me. See, when I got disabled I went from making big time bucks
            working as a field service engineer for the long distance
            telephone switches that MCI, AllTel, Sprint, etc. use to support
            work for small programs and working on PCs. I love both of them,
            even this more because I have much more liberty with trying this
            and that without having to worry about knocking down a big switch
            in peek traffic = real big buckS! Anyway, I don't get out in the
            real wolrd anymore, so I don't know a lot about all these
            peripheral equipment, hand-helds, and things like that. So, is
            Tablet PC a type of computer like a PDA? Is it a set of commands
            the one can call into ther program? Tell me exactly what we are
            talking about and then maybe I can give you a better answer.

            >I did not investigate very far, but I've noticed: • MS: the new
            >Tablet PC features work in NotePad, WordPad, Windows dialogs, but
            >not in Outlook Express for instance. • Third party: it works in
            >a utility like SlickRun but not in NoteTabPro !
            >
            >The new feature are very valuable for Tablet PC use: they bring
            >great comfort when correcting mistakes.
            >
            >---> If usefull I can send or upload snapshots of those features on a
            >same sample test as they appear in Notepad and do not. in NoteTab.

            At this point I don't think I need to see them, just tell me if it
            is a piece of hardware/software and then may you can show me a
            pic later.

            I've got Fookesability!
            Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
            http://clean-funnies.com

            Jody

            http://sojourner.us/software
            fookes.us, notetab.net
            bwbc.us, sojourner.us
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2004
              Hi Jeff,

              >Hey all, I am using xpsp2, with note tab pro, every
              >thing works great...J B

              I think you will find that the Replace/Restore MS Notepad feature
              got broke. -jody

              >> Thank you for your message! Eric said that he hopes to have a
              >> maintenance release (minor upgrade) available for NoteTab by
              >> the end of October. That could man by January, or even later,
              >> and might even mean by the end of October. :) I cannot say if
              >> the features you mention below will be added. I don't know if
              >> they would be considered SP2 aware, or just added features. If
              >> it is just a matter of pointing some code towards it, then
              >> there might be a chance that it will be done so long as it
              >> worked well with NoteTab how it is now. It may depend a lot on
              >> the input control. Notepad uses the Microsoft Rich Edit Control
              >> (riched32.dll) and so does NoteTab Standard/Light, but Pro does
              >> not. So, perhaps it has a better chance of getting added in
              >> NoteTab Standard/Light. If it is simply a shell enhancement,
              >> then maybe it is easy to implement and added in all our
              >> software when applicative.

              In Jesus' Love,
              Bro. Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:20-23
              www.purewords.org

              Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
              be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
              Matthew 10:16

              (o o)
            • Jeff Butler
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
                I will take your word on this my friend, I got a
                message when switching to Pro as an experiment, I
                can't think of a use in of that function anyway, I
                have set note pad pro as default and use opera 7.6,
                Pro works flawless with xp, my new computer came with
                sp2 installed. PTL...J B