Re: [NTB] installing NoteTab...

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
      Hi Bruce,

      >can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
      >able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

      Yes, it should work for you. You would probably have problems
      with making Favorites and things that require the same drive and
      folders all the time. However, if you kept all your documents on
      the hard drive you could always do a quick Find/Replace in like
      NoteTab's INI file for say Tidy HTML's location and your .fvr
      files for your Favorites locations. Make sure you have the files
      in a non-read-only state, especially NoteTab's INI file so that
      you can make changes. I realize you probably would know that
      stuff, but it is for other's benefit that might be reading this.

      >sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but
      >with mainframe business applications development.

      If we continue this section for long, we need to take it over to
      the ntb-OffTopic list or private eMail. See my sigline or the
      footers to sign up for the ntb-OffTopic list. TIA!

      Before becoming disabled I use to work on the long distance
      switches for MCI, Sprint, etc. for the manufacturer of the
      switches as a field engineer. I did all the debug, software and
      hardware fixes and upgrades, etc. The tiny little PCs around use
      to "scare me" not knowing the first thing about them. I've found
      it is all relative to the amount of time spent on any electronic
      stuff and of course how much you want to learn it, have the time
      for it, or forced by work to learn it. <g> One of the main things
      I like on PCs over company machines, especially big money making
      ones is that you can try this and try that. The worst that can
      happen is you have to reformat and reinstall. They would not take
      too kindly to that on a switch going down in peak traffic
      generating five million dollars and hour, or should I say loosing
      that much! ;) So, now I get to play all I want and over the years
      it has been a real blessing have the liberty to do so and a great
      way to learn. Learning in the "real world" on the big live stuff
      is a long process, because you just simply can't try this, try
      that. :)

      Happy Topics,
      Jody

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
        At 12:25 PM 10/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
        >able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?
        >
        >sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but with
        >mainframe business applications development.
        >
        >Bruce Ring

        I drug and dropped the NTPro folder to a remote USB drive on my network.
        I was able to launch NTPro from the machine the drive is connected to with
        no problem.

        -Mike

      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hi Bruce,

          > I have a USB harddrive, that i take to another machine in a
          > career center (which will not sanction any software installs). And i
          > have my "traveling data" on the USB harddrive, that include outline
          > files... now the question...
          >
          > can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
          > able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

          Contrary to the other's views here... I doubt it!

          The schools I teach in also disallow user installs. They also disallow
          running executables from the A: drives or anything plugged in the USB
          sockets. As a visiting Adult Education tutor my username gets much the same
          privileges as school students.

          If such network precautions are not in place at your careers centre, then
          the others will have given a good answer!

          Greg