Re: [NTB] installing NoteTab...

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
      I would assume the usb drive works as a hard drive on the system and
      thus the answer should be yes. There is also an older version of
      notetab called notetab tiny that will allow you to run notetab from a
      floppy. Depending on how heavily you use notetab, that may be a viable
      option as well. I don't know if notetab tiny is still offered on the
      main site, but do a search on google and you should still find a link or
      two for download.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
        Hi Bruce,

        >can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
        >able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

        Yes, it should work for you. You would probably have problems
        with making Favorites and things that require the same drive and
        folders all the time. However, if you kept all your documents on
        the hard drive you could always do a quick Find/Replace in like
        NoteTab's INI file for say Tidy HTML's location and your .fvr
        files for your Favorites locations. Make sure you have the files
        in a non-read-only state, especially NoteTab's INI file so that
        you can make changes. I realize you probably would know that
        stuff, but it is for other's benefit that might be reading this.

        >sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but
        >with mainframe business applications development.

        If we continue this section for long, we need to take it over to
        the ntb-OffTopic list or private eMail. See my sigline or the
        footers to sign up for the ntb-OffTopic list. TIA!

        Before becoming disabled I use to work on the long distance
        switches for MCI, Sprint, etc. for the manufacturer of the
        switches as a field engineer. I did all the debug, software and
        hardware fixes and upgrades, etc. The tiny little PCs around use
        to "scare me" not knowing the first thing about them. I've found
        it is all relative to the amount of time spent on any electronic
        stuff and of course how much you want to learn it, have the time
        for it, or forced by work to learn it. <g> One of the main things
        I like on PCs over company machines, especially big money making
        ones is that you can try this and try that. The worst that can
        happen is you have to reformat and reinstall. They would not take
        too kindly to that on a switch going down in peak traffic
        generating five million dollars and hour, or should I say loosing
        that much! ;) So, now I get to play all I want and over the years
        it has been a real blessing have the liberty to do so and a great
        way to learn. Learning in the "real world" on the big live stuff
        is a long process, because you just simply can't try this, try
        that. :)

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
          At 12:25 PM 10/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
          >can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
          >able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?
          >
          >sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but with
          >mainframe business applications development.
          >
          >Bruce Ring

          I drug and dropped the NTPro folder to a remote USB drive on my network.
          I was able to launch NTPro from the machine the drive is connected to with
          no problem.

          -Mike

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
            Hi Bruce,

            > I have a USB harddrive, that i take to another machine in a
            > career center (which will not sanction any software installs). And i
            > have my "traveling data" on the USB harddrive, that include outline
            > files... now the question...
            >
            > can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
            > able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

            Contrary to the other's views here... I doubt it!

            The schools I teach in also disallow user installs. They also disallow
            running executables from the A: drives or anything plugged in the USB
            sockets. As a visiting Adult Education tutor my username gets much the same
            privileges as school students.

            If such network precautions are not in place at your careers centre, then
            the others will have given a good answer!

            Greg