installing NoteTab...

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
      this very well may be a Windows question/answer; but i would like to
      ask it here anyway. I have W98 and NoteTab Pro installed on that
      machine. I have a USB harddrive, that i take to another machine in a
      career center (which will not sanction any software installs). And i
      have my "traveling data" on the USB harddrive, that include outline
      files... now the question...

      can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
      able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

      sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but with
      mainframe business applications development.

      Bruce Ring
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
        I would assume the usb drive works as a hard drive on the system and
        thus the answer should be yes. There is also an older version of
        notetab called notetab tiny that will allow you to run notetab from a
        floppy. Depending on how heavily you use notetab, that may be a viable
        option as well. I don't know if notetab tiny is still offered on the
        main site, but do a search on google and you should still find a link or
        two for download.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hi Bruce,

          >can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
          >able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

          Yes, it should work for you. You would probably have problems
          with making Favorites and things that require the same drive and
          folders all the time. However, if you kept all your documents on
          the hard drive you could always do a quick Find/Replace in like
          NoteTab's INI file for say Tidy HTML's location and your .fvr
          files for your Favorites locations. Make sure you have the files
          in a non-read-only state, especially NoteTab's INI file so that
          you can make changes. I realize you probably would know that
          stuff, but it is for other's benefit that might be reading this.

          >sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but
          >with mainframe business applications development.

          If we continue this section for long, we need to take it over to
          the ntb-OffTopic list or private eMail. See my sigline or the
          footers to sign up for the ntb-OffTopic list. TIA!

          Before becoming disabled I use to work on the long distance
          switches for MCI, Sprint, etc. for the manufacturer of the
          switches as a field engineer. I did all the debug, software and
          hardware fixes and upgrades, etc. The tiny little PCs around use
          to "scare me" not knowing the first thing about them. I've found
          it is all relative to the amount of time spent on any electronic
          stuff and of course how much you want to learn it, have the time
          for it, or forced by work to learn it. <g> One of the main things
          I like on PCs over company machines, especially big money making
          ones is that you can try this and try that. The worst that can
          happen is you have to reformat and reinstall. They would not take
          too kindly to that on a switch going down in peak traffic
          generating five million dollars and hour, or should I say loosing
          that much! ;) So, now I get to play all I want and over the years
          it has been a real blessing have the liberty to do so and a great
          way to learn. Learning in the "real world" on the big live stuff
          is a long process, because you just simply can't try this, try
          that. :)

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
            At 12:25 PM 10/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
            >can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
            >able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?
            >
            >sorry, but my though knowledge is not with the W op systems, but with
            >mainframe business applications development.
            >
            >Bruce Ring

            I drug and dropped the NTPro folder to a remote USB drive on my network.
            I was able to launch NTPro from the machine the drive is connected to with
            no problem.

            -Mike

          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
              Hi Bruce,

              > I have a USB harddrive, that i take to another machine in a
              > career center (which will not sanction any software installs). And i
              > have my "traveling data" on the USB harddrive, that include outline
              > files... now the question...
              >
              > can i install notetab pro on the "removable" USB harddrive and be
              > able us use notetab anywhere that i take the harddrive?

              Contrary to the other's views here... I doubt it!

              The schools I teach in also disallow user installs. They also disallow
              running executables from the A: drives or anything plugged in the USB
              sockets. As a visiting Adult Education tutor my username gets much the same
              privileges as school students.

              If such network precautions are not in place at your careers centre, then
              the others will have given a good answer!

              Greg