Re: [NTB] Email account utilization warning.

  • Patricia Tidmarsh
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
      Nasty -- I would bet. "From" address is not yahoo. Unless I have
      specifically requested information, I never go to a URL suggested by an
      email.

      On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, sisterscape wrote:

      > Is this for real or a nasty?
      >
      > --- hsavage@... wrote:
      >
      > > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
      > > to let you know that,
      > >
      > > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
      > > days,
      > > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
      > > our free
      > > auto-forwarding service.
      > >
      > > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
      > >
      > > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
      > > Password is "67483".
      > >
      > > Best wishes,
      > > The Yahoogroups.com team
      > > http://www.yahoogroups.com

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
        sisterscape wrote:
        > Is this for real or a nasty?
        >
        > --- hsavage@... wrote:
        >

        >>Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
        >>to let you know that,
        >>
        >>Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
        >>days,
        >>to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
        >>our free
        >>auto-forwarding service.
        >>
        >>Further details can be obtained from attached file.
        >>
        >>For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
        >>Password is "67483".
        >>
        >>Best wishes,
        >> The Yahoogroups.com team
        >>http://www.yahoogroups.com

        sister,

        After reading your post I looked at the rest of my messages. I received
        the same message also, it was from myself to the NoteTab@ group.

        I don't know where the message originated but, I have nothing more to do
        with the support groups than any other average member.

        I think the is an individual crank, it seems to specific in the
        insturctions to be virus generated. Also, nothing was attached, I
        suppose because attachments aren't allowed on any of the groups.

        -- After seeing Lotta's post she may have a valid point about
        -- the Beagle worm.

        This is from the only hsavage@..., no guarantee but, anything from
        me will be signed;

        hrs
      • Bill Salyers
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
          Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message contains a virus.

          Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
          billsalyers@...
          <*)))))>< ><(((((*>
          | > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
          | > to let you know that,
          | >
          | > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
          | > days,
          | > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
          | > our free
          | > auto-forwarding service.
          | >
          | > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
          | >
          | > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
          | > Password is "67483".
          | >
          | > Best wishes,
          | > The Yahoogroups.com team
          | > http://www.yahoogroups.com
          | >

          | > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          | Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
          | http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          |

          | Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.us/redir

          | Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
            Oh, I don't ever open unsolicited attachments. I was just wondering
            since this came through the list. Cheers. sisterscape

            --- Bill Salyers <billsalyers@...> wrote:

            > Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message
            > contains a virus.
            >
            > Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
            > billsalyers@...
            > <*)))))>< ><(((((*>

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
              If you *do* belong to any yahoo groups that allow attachments you might find
              that your ISP bounces messages that contain the virus. Seems like a good
              idea but yahoo responds to such bounces by putting your account into
              hard-bouncing mode - as a result you can wind up getting *NO* email from
              *ANY* yahoo-groups.

              If it happens to you, eventually you should get a notice from Yahoo-groups
              giving a URL to go to "unbounce" yourself, but if you suspect this has
              happened, going to your mygroups gives a link where you can check your
              current bounce status and bounce history.

              Its happened to me five or six times this year :-(

              Regards ... Alec

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2004
                On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:05:01 -0700 (PDT), sisterscape
                <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                > Is this for real or a nasty?

                Look at the grammar and spelling. It's a dead giveaway. I don't know
                what we'll do when the crapware writers learn to write English. I'm
                hoping that the two skills are mutually exclusive.

                PH

                Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Hi Sis and Others,

                  In short, ignore it.

                  I haven't ever seen a message from YahooGroups saying they would
                  be going down for maintenance. I don't think they send them out.
                  If they do it would most likely be to moderators and list owners.
                  They might put a notice on their main page, but I doubt it. They
                  have many redundant/mirror lists to use, so if they want to do
                  maintenance now-a-days all they need to do is change their
                  settings to not include checking a mirror they want to to
                  maintenance on (and then copy to the other mirrors one at a time
                  if that is what they want to do.) ;)

                  Besides, if they were no bring everything down, most likely the
                  messages would just be delayed in getting received and sent out.
                  Just always give your messages at least 12 hours before re-posting
                  if you don't see it hit the list on the web view.

                  >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system
                  >wants to let you know that,
                  >
                  >Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
                  >days, to continue receiving mail in these days you have to
                  >configure our free auto-forwarding service.

                  Happy Tab'n,