Re: [NTB] Email account utilization warning.

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
      sisterscape wrote:
      >Is this for real or a nasty?

      It's the Beagle worm, spoofing Harvey's address. Just ignore it. It can't
      harm us since attachments are stripped.

      http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38480

      Lotta
    • Patricia Tidmarsh
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
        Nasty -- I would bet. "From" address is not yahoo. Unless I have
        specifically requested information, I never go to a URL suggested by an
        email.

        On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, sisterscape wrote:

        > Is this for real or a nasty?
        >
        > --- hsavage@... wrote:
        >
        > > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
        > > to let you know that,
        > >
        > > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
        > > days,
        > > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
        > > our free
        > > auto-forwarding service.
        > >
        > > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
        > >
        > > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
        > > Password is "67483".
        > >
        > > Best wishes,
        > > The Yahoogroups.com team
        > > http://www.yahoogroups.com

        > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
          sisterscape wrote:
          > Is this for real or a nasty?
          >
          > --- hsavage@... wrote:
          >

          >>Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
          >>to let you know that,
          >>
          >>Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
          >>days,
          >>to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
          >>our free
          >>auto-forwarding service.
          >>
          >>Further details can be obtained from attached file.
          >>
          >>For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
          >>Password is "67483".
          >>
          >>Best wishes,
          >> The Yahoogroups.com team
          >>http://www.yahoogroups.com

          sister,

          After reading your post I looked at the rest of my messages. I received
          the same message also, it was from myself to the NoteTab@ group.

          I don't know where the message originated but, I have nothing more to do
          with the support groups than any other average member.

          I think the is an individual crank, it seems to specific in the
          insturctions to be virus generated. Also, nothing was attached, I
          suppose because attachments aren't allowed on any of the groups.

          -- After seeing Lotta's post she may have a valid point about
          -- the Beagle worm.

          This is from the only hsavage@..., no guarantee but, anything from
          me will be signed;

          hrs
        • Bill Salyers
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
            Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message contains a virus.

            Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
            billsalyers@...
            <*)))))>< ><(((((*>
            | > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
            | > to let you know that,
            | >
            | > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
            | > days,
            | > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
            | > our free
            | > auto-forwarding service.
            | >
            | > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
            | >
            | > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
            | > Password is "67483".
            | >
            | > Best wishes,
            | > The Yahoogroups.com team
            | > http://www.yahoogroups.com
            | >

            | > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            | Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
            | http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            |

            | Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.us/redir

            | Yahoo! Groups Links

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
              Oh, I don't ever open unsolicited attachments. I was just wondering
              since this came through the list. Cheers. sisterscape

              --- Bill Salyers <billsalyers@...> wrote:

              > Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message
              > contains a virus.
              >
              > Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
              > billsalyers@...
              > <*)))))>< ><(((((*>

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                If you *do* belong to any yahoo groups that allow attachments you might find
                that your ISP bounces messages that contain the virus. Seems like a good
                idea but yahoo responds to such bounces by putting your account into
                hard-bouncing mode - as a result you can wind up getting *NO* email from
                *ANY* yahoo-groups.

                If it happens to you, eventually you should get a notice from Yahoo-groups
                giving a URL to go to "unbounce" yourself, but if you suspect this has
                happened, going to your mygroups gives a link where you can check your
                current bounce status and bounce history.

                Its happened to me five or six times this year :-(

                Regards ... Alec

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2004
                  On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:05:01 -0700 (PDT), sisterscape
                  <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                  > Is this for real or a nasty?

                  Look at the grammar and spelling. It's a dead giveaway. I don't know
                  what we'll do when the crapware writers learn to write English. I'm
                  hoping that the two skills are mutually exclusive.

                  PH

                  Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2004
                    Hi Sis and Others,

                    In short, ignore it.

                    I haven't ever seen a message from YahooGroups saying they would
                    be going down for maintenance. I don't think they send them out.
                    If they do it would most likely be to moderators and list owners.
                    They might put a notice on their main page, but I doubt it. They
                    have many redundant/mirror lists to use, so if they want to do
                    maintenance now-a-days all they need to do is change their
                    settings to not include checking a mirror they want to to
                    maintenance on (and then copy to the other mirrors one at a time
                    if that is what they want to do.) ;)

                    Besides, if they were no bring everything down, most likely the
                    messages would just be delayed in getting received and sent out.
                    Just always give your messages at least 12 hours before re-posting
                    if you don't see it hit the list on the web view.

                    >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system
                    >wants to let you know that,
                    >
                    >Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
                    >days, to continue receiving mail in these days you have to
                    >configure our free auto-forwarding service.

                    Happy Tab'n,