Re[2]: [NTB] Email account utilization warning.

  • William H Reiter
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
      I certainly don't trust it, seeming to come from an individual....
      Bill R.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
        sisterscape wrote:
        >Is this for real or a nasty?

        It's the Beagle worm, spoofing Harvey's address. Just ignore it. It can't
        harm us since attachments are stripped.

        http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38480

        Lotta
      • Patricia Tidmarsh
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
          Nasty -- I would bet. "From" address is not yahoo. Unless I have
          specifically requested information, I never go to a URL suggested by an
          email.

          On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, sisterscape wrote:

          > Is this for real or a nasty?
          >
          > --- hsavage@... wrote:
          >
          > > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
          > > to let you know that,
          > >
          > > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
          > > days,
          > > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
          > > our free
          > > auto-forwarding service.
          > >
          > > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
          > >
          > > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
          > > Password is "67483".
          > >
          > > Best wishes,
          > > The Yahoogroups.com team
          > > http://www.yahoogroups.com

          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
            sisterscape wrote:
            > Is this for real or a nasty?
            >
            > --- hsavage@... wrote:
            >

            >>Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
            >>to let you know that,
            >>
            >>Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
            >>days,
            >>to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
            >>our free
            >>auto-forwarding service.
            >>
            >>Further details can be obtained from attached file.
            >>
            >>For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
            >>Password is "67483".
            >>
            >>Best wishes,
            >> The Yahoogroups.com team
            >>http://www.yahoogroups.com

            sister,

            After reading your post I looked at the rest of my messages. I received
            the same message also, it was from myself to the NoteTab@ group.

            I don't know where the message originated but, I have nothing more to do
            with the support groups than any other average member.

            I think the is an individual crank, it seems to specific in the
            insturctions to be virus generated. Also, nothing was attached, I
            suppose because attachments aren't allowed on any of the groups.

            -- After seeing Lotta's post she may have a valid point about
            -- the Beagle worm.

            This is from the only hsavage@..., no guarantee but, anything from
            me will be signed;

            hrs
          • Bill Salyers
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
              Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message contains a virus.

              Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
              billsalyers@...
              <*)))))>< ><(((((*>
              | > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
              | > to let you know that,
              | >
              | > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
              | > days,
              | > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
              | > our free
              | > auto-forwarding service.
              | >
              | > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
              | >
              | > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
              | > Password is "67483".
              | >
              | > Best wishes,
              | > The Yahoogroups.com team
              | > http://www.yahoogroups.com
              | >

              | > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              | Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
              | http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              |

              | Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.us/redir

              | Yahoo! Groups Links

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                Oh, I don't ever open unsolicited attachments. I was just wondering
                since this came through the list. Cheers. sisterscape

                --- Bill Salyers <billsalyers@...> wrote:

                > Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message
                > contains a virus.
                >
                > Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
                > billsalyers@...
                > <*)))))>< ><(((((*>

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                  If you *do* belong to any yahoo groups that allow attachments you might find
                  that your ISP bounces messages that contain the virus. Seems like a good
                  idea but yahoo responds to such bounces by putting your account into
                  hard-bouncing mode - as a result you can wind up getting *NO* email from
                  *ANY* yahoo-groups.

                  If it happens to you, eventually you should get a notice from Yahoo-groups
                  giving a URL to go to "unbounce" yourself, but if you suspect this has
                  happened, going to your mygroups gives a link where you can check your
                  current bounce status and bounce history.

                  Its happened to me five or six times this year :-(

                  Regards ... Alec

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2004
                    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:05:01 -0700 (PDT), sisterscape
                    <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                    > Is this for real or a nasty?

                    Look at the grammar and spelling. It's a dead giveaway. I don't know
                    what we'll do when the crapware writers learn to write English. I'm
                    hoping that the two skills are mutually exclusive.

                    PH

                    Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2004
                      Hi Sis and Others,

                      In short, ignore it.

                      I haven't ever seen a message from YahooGroups saying they would
                      be going down for maintenance. I don't think they send them out.
                      If they do it would most likely be to moderators and list owners.
                      They might put a notice on their main page, but I doubt it. They
                      have many redundant/mirror lists to use, so if they want to do
                      maintenance now-a-days all they need to do is change their
                      settings to not include checking a mirror they want to to
                      maintenance on (and then copy to the other mirrors one at a time
                      if that is what they want to do.) ;)

                      Besides, if they were no bring everything down, most likely the
                      messages would just be delayed in getting received and sent out.
                      Just always give your messages at least 12 hours before re-posting
                      if you don't see it hit the list on the web view.

                      >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system
                      >wants to let you know that,
                      >
                      >Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
                      >days, to continue receiving mail in these days you have to
                      >configure our free auto-forwarding service.

                      Happy Tab'n,