Re: [NTB] Email account utilization warning.

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
      Is this for real or a nasty?

      --- hsavage@... wrote:

      > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
      > to let you know that,
      >
      > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
      > days,
      > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
      > our free
      > auto-forwarding service.
      >
      > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
      >
      > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
      > Password is "67483".
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > The Yahoogroups.com team
      > http://www.yahoogroups.com

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • William H Reiter
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
        I certainly don't trust it, seeming to come from an individual....
        Bill R.

      • hsavage@pobox.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
            sisterscape wrote:
            >Is this for real or a nasty?

            It's the Beagle worm, spoofing Harvey's address. Just ignore it. It can't
            harm us since attachments are stripped.

            http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38480

            Lotta
          • Patricia Tidmarsh
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
              Nasty -- I would bet. "From" address is not yahoo. Unless I have
              specifically requested information, I never go to a URL suggested by an
              email.

              On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, sisterscape wrote:

              > Is this for real or a nasty?
              >
              > --- hsavage@... wrote:
              >
              > > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
              > > to let you know that,
              > >
              > > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
              > > days,
              > > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
              > > our free
              > > auto-forwarding service.
              > >
              > > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
              > >
              > > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
              > > Password is "67483".
              > >
              > > Best wishes,
              > > The Yahoogroups.com team
              > > http://www.yahoogroups.com

              > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                sisterscape wrote:
                > Is this for real or a nasty?
                >
                > --- hsavage@... wrote:
                >

                >>Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
                >>to let you know that,
                >>
                >>Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
                >>days,
                >>to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
                >>our free
                >>auto-forwarding service.
                >>
                >>Further details can be obtained from attached file.
                >>
                >>For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
                >>Password is "67483".
                >>
                >>Best wishes,
                >> The Yahoogroups.com team
                >>http://www.yahoogroups.com

                sister,

                After reading your post I looked at the rest of my messages. I received
                the same message also, it was from myself to the NoteTab@ group.

                I don't know where the message originated but, I have nothing more to do
                with the support groups than any other average member.

                I think the is an individual crank, it seems to specific in the
                insturctions to be virus generated. Also, nothing was attached, I
                suppose because attachments aren't allowed on any of the groups.

                -- After seeing Lotta's post she may have a valid point about
                -- the Beagle worm.

                This is from the only hsavage@..., no guarantee but, anything from
                me will be signed;

                hrs
              • Bill Salyers
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                  Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message contains a virus.

                  Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
                  billsalyers@...
                  <*)))))>< ><(((((*>
                  | > Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants
                  | > to let you know that,
                  | >
                  | > Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
                  | > days,
                  | > to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure
                  | > our free
                  | > auto-forwarding service.
                  | >
                  | > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
                  | >
                  | > For security purposes the attached file is password protected.
                  | > Password is "67483".
                  | >
                  | > Best wishes,
                  | > The Yahoogroups.com team
                  | > http://www.yahoogroups.com
                  | >

                  | > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  | Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
                  | http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  |

                  | Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.us/redir

                  | Yahoo! Groups Links

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                    Oh, I don't ever open unsolicited attachments. I was just wondering
                    since this came through the list. Cheers. sisterscape

                    --- Bill Salyers <billsalyers@...> wrote:

                    > Never open attachments unless you requested them. This message
                    > contains a virus.
                    >
                    > Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
                    > billsalyers@...
                    > <*)))))>< ><(((((*>

                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
                      If you *do* belong to any yahoo groups that allow attachments you might find
                      that your ISP bounces messages that contain the virus. Seems like a good
                      idea but yahoo responds to such bounces by putting your account into
                      hard-bouncing mode - as a result you can wind up getting *NO* email from
                      *ANY* yahoo-groups.

                      If it happens to you, eventually you should get a notice from Yahoo-groups
                      giving a URL to go to "unbounce" yourself, but if you suspect this has
                      happened, going to your mygroups gives a link where you can check your
                      current bounce status and bounce history.

                      Its happened to me five or six times this year :-(

                      Regards ... Alec

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 6, 2004
                        On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:05:01 -0700 (PDT), sisterscape
                        <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                        > Is this for real or a nasty?

                        Look at the grammar and spelling. It's a dead giveaway. I don't know
                        what we'll do when the crapware writers learn to write English. I'm
                        hoping that the two skills are mutually exclusive.

                        PH

                        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 7, 2004
                          Hi Sis and Others,

                          In short, ignore it.

                          I haven't ever seen a message from YahooGroups saying they would
                          be going down for maintenance. I don't think they send them out.
                          If they do it would most likely be to moderators and list owners.
                          They might put a notice on their main page, but I doubt it. They
                          have many redundant/mirror lists to use, so if they want to do
                          maintenance now-a-days all they need to do is change their
                          settings to not include checking a mirror they want to to
                          maintenance on (and then copy to the other mirrors one at a time
                          if that is what they want to do.) ;)

                          Besides, if they were no bring everything down, most likely the
                          messages would just be delayed in getting received and sent out.
                          Just always give your messages at least 12 hours before re-posting
                          if you don't see it hit the list on the web view.

                          >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system
                          >wants to let you know that,
                          >
                          >Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two
                          >days, to continue receiving mail in these days you have to
                          >configure our free auto-forwarding service.

                          Happy Tab'n,