Replace

  • kuutamo12
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
      Hi,

      Why this program NoteTabLight is so slow when I use search and
      replace? I use big files and I have problems with them. I use Windows
      Me.
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
        Note Tab's search and Replace can be slowe on LARGE files, it is a
        function of how much memory can be used at once. The MORE stored, the
        slower the progress. BIG files equal BIG delays in processing.

        Solutions?

        1. smaller files.
        2. Close all unneeded processes, and programs
        3, Break your file into smaller chuinks, Process teh chuhnks
        individually and then reassemble the whole.

        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714

        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
      • Tuomo
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
          Hi,

          What about NoteTabPro? Is it faster?
          Note Tab's search and Replace can be slowe on LARGE files, it is a
          function of how much memory can be used at once. The MORE stored, the
          slower the progress. BIG files equal BIG delays in processing.

          Solutions?

          1. smaller files.
          2. Close all unneeded processes, and programs
          3, Break your file into smaller chuinks, Process teh chuhnks
          individually and then reassemble the whole.

          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          "Just the facts, maam."
          Sgt. Joe Friday,
          LAPD Badge #714

          Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
          VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

          Jimmy Hoffa, 1960

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
            Tuomo,
            I think if your computer had a larger memory and is one of the high
            speed processors, that would speed up the process as much as anything.
            Just as my opinion, no doubt someone will prove me wrong,. I am not sure
            how dividing your files would help, it would seem to take just as long
            to go through a 100 long files or 200 files that were divided in two
            parts. Perhaps someone can explain that process to me.
            Ed
            Tuomo wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > What about NoteTabPro? Is it faster?

          • manon_purple
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
              I use NoteTabPro, but when I used it on Windows ME it was terribly
              slow with some functions (same with other programs). I don't think a
              Pro version will make a difference. My guess is it has to do with
              Windows ME memory management. I rebooted about once every hour to
              keep it working properly. After a fresh reboot, most programs would
              work better but slowed down eventually.
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuomo" <metsamenu@l...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > What about NoteTabPro? Is it faster?
            • Bill Salyers
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
                | Ed Tuomo wrote:
                |
                | > Hi,
                | >
                | > What about NoteTabPro? Is it faster?

                I just did a case sensitive search and replace in Notetab Pro finding and replacing "the" in a 2MB document.
                15,000 plus replacements were made almost instantaneously. I have a Pentium III 833Mhz with 512MB memory. "Large"
                file is relative. Most of my text files are under 1MB, but some files, usually in word processors can run to 40 or
                50 MB. So when does "small" become "large."

                Bill Salyers - 937-399-2279
                billsalyers@...
                <*)))))>< ><(((((*>
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 29, 2004
                  Hi kuutamo12,

                  Try NoteTab Pro. It uses a different input control and is much
                  faster. Upgrading your computer and getting XP or 2000 would
                  help a lot too! :) Win98/ME are really bad when it comes to
                  releasing memory. Turning off Screen Update can help also. It's
                  somewhere in View | Options. <g>

                  The reason Pro and Std/Light are different is not due to Pro
                  being a better editor, but it is because Pro and Std/Light use a
                  different input control. Pro uses a non-Microsoft input control
                  and Std/Light uses the Rich Edit Control that comes with all
                  versions of Windows. (The Turbo Charger input control that Pro
                  uses has a lot of features that makes Pro a better editor, but if
                  also lacks some that just blows people away like why Light can
                  have variable width fonts and Pro cannot.)

                  See Input Control in Help | NoteTab Glossary.

                  Another techie reason for slow speeds is that you need to have
                  twice as much RAM as you do the file size you are working with
                  for NoteTab to operate at full capacity.

                  >Why this program NoteTabLight is so slow when I use search and
                  >replace? I use big files and I have problems with them. I use Windows
                  >Me.

                  Happy Tab'n,

                • Tuomo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2004
                    Hi,

                    First I done this:

                    Turning off Screen Update can help also. It's
                    somewhere in View | Options.

                    I used now ProTrial and I was replacing html text and this character ¶. I got some messages:
                    First.
                    Some paragraps were too long and had to be split.
                    Then.
                    Invalid pointer operation access violation at address BFF7B094 in module KERNEL32.DLL. Write address 00B8F7A6.
                    Then.
                    Exception Eaccess violation in module notepro.exe at 00733120. Acces violation at address 00734120. Read of address 00734120.
                    Then.
                    A component named trmReplace already exist.

                    Ou....what is happening?

                    Tuomo
                    Try NoteTab Pro. It uses a different input control and is much
                    faster. Upgrading your computer and getting XP or 2000 would
                    help a lot too! :) Win98/ME are really bad when it comes to
                    releasing memory. Turning off Screen Update can help also. It's
                    somewhere in View | Options. <g>

                    The reason Pro and Std/Light are different is not due to Pro
                    being a better editor, but it is because Pro and Std/Light use a
                    different input control. Pro uses a non-Microsoft input control
                    and Std/Light uses the Rich Edit Control that comes with all
                    versions of Windows. (The Turbo Charger input control that Pro
                    uses has a lot of features that makes Pro a better editor, but if
                    also lacks some that just blows people away like why Light can
                    have variable width fonts and Pro cannot.)

                    See Input Control in Help | NoteTab Glossary.

                    Another techie reason for slow speeds is that you need to have
                    twice as much RAM as you do the file size you are working with
                    for NoteTab to operate at full capacity.

                    >Why this program NoteTabLight is so slow when I use search and
                    >replace? I use big files and I have problems with them. I use Windows
                    >Me.

                    Happy Tab'n,

                  • al guevara
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 30, 2004
                      Sent to wrong personage

                      From: Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
                      To: <notetab@yahoogroups.com>

                      Usaid >Hi Tuomo,

                      Usaid >The large paragraph size message is correct. NoteTab Pro cannot
                      Usaid >have paragraphs/lines longer than 32KB. It is due to the input
                      Usaid >control used. You shouldn't have received the error message; it
                      Usaid >normally doesn't happen. It probably won't continue.

                      Usaid >Here's a link to a comparison chart of the different NoteTab
                      Usaid >versions.
                      Usaid >http://www.notetab.net/html/compare.htm

                      Usaid >>Some paragraps were too long and had to be split.
                      Usaid >>Then.
                      Usaid >>Invalid pointer operation access violation at address BFF7B094 in
                      Usaid >>module KERNEL32.DLL. Write address 00B8F7A6.
                      Usaid >>Then.
                      Usaid >>Exception Eaccess violation in module notepro.exe at 00733120.
                      Usaid >>Acces violation at address 00734120. Read of address 00734120.
                      Usaid >>Then.
                      Usaid >>A component named trmReplace already exist.

                      Usaid >Happy Tab'n,
                      Usaid >Jody Adair

                      Usaid >NoteTabbers Assistant Page Sojourners Software
                      Usaid >http://www.notetab.net http://www.sojourner.us/software
                      Usaid >http://www.fookes.us http://www.clean-funnies.com

                      Usaid >Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.us/redir

                      Usaid >
                      Usaid >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Usaid >
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 30, 2004
                        Hi Tuomo,

                        The large paragraph size message is correct. NoteTab Pro cannot
                        have paragraphs/lines longer than 32KB. It is due to the input
                        control used. You shouldn't have received the error message; it
                        normally doesn't happen. It probably won't continue.

                        Here's a link to a comparison chart of the different NoteTab
                        versions.