Replacing MS Notepad after installation of WinXP SP2

  • Paul Fuller
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2004
      I use NoteTab light and I've just installed Windows XP Service Pack
      2. Since doing so I notice that NoteTab will no longer execute in
      place of MS Notepad.

      When you select Help -> Replace MS Notepad, NoteTab renames
      c:\windows\Notepad.exe and drops a small 19,456 byte executable in
      it's place. During the WinXP SP2 installation this file is replaced
      by a new Notepad.exe. After the installation of SP2 was complete I
      started NoteTab and found the "Replace MS Notepad" option was no
      longer greyed out. I selected this but when I checked the Windows
      folder I found the new SP2 Notepad was there. I've even tried
      manually replacing the SP2 Notepad with the Notetab 19,456 byte exe
      but Windows detects this and immediately restores the SP2 Notepad. I
      assume this is to do with the new Security Center.

      Is there a work-around for this MS induced problem?