NT Light won't save position and size

  • manny_blatt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2004
      Note tab will open only at full screen or in a window about 3" wide
      and 2" high on my 1024x768 screen. If I open it full screen and
      click the "restore down" button, it goes to 3x2". If I drag the tiny
      window to the size I want, this size does not persist through
      closing and restarting NT.

      These are the only two sizes NT remembers. The "open centered" item
      on the title bar can be selected but has no effect. The "save
      position and size" option also has no effect. The "save window
      state" choice on the title bar does not show a check mark when
      selected and does not stick.

      The problem exists whether I double click an associated file type or
      start NT from its icon.

      Running XP pro with ATI Radeon 9600 graphics.

      Anybody know how I can fix this?

      I found the following section in notetab.ini that seemed relevant. I
      don't know whether it is or ot, but manually changing the height and
      width entries had no effect.

      [RestoreWindows]
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_Restore=1
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_Width=670
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_Height=544
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_StayOnTop=0
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_Center=0
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_Top=117
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_Left=230
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_MonitorCount=1
      TEFO_FrmNotepad_WindowState=2
      UseSystemTray=0

      Thanks,
      MB
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2004
        Hi Manny,

        I'm sorry for just now getting to this.

        I've never had that setup so I don't know how to replicate the
        problem. However, follow the following directions for whatever
        NoteTab window you need to be in a certain position. The
        following is for a single monitor, but others with your setup,
        multiple monitors, have got it to work successfully.

        Please do the following:
        1. Resize and adjust the program window where you want it.
        2. Click on the program icon located on Titlebar (upper left).
        3. Uncheck "Open Centered" if checked.
        4. Click on the program icon again.
        5. Click on "Save Window State" (which does not get a check mark).
        6. Restart NoteTab at this time.
        Tip: You can right click on the Titlebar for the same menu as above
        or press the Alt key and then the spacebar while holding Alt down
        (Alt+Spacebar). Simply pressing Alt alone will collapse the menu
        once opened or clicking in a "non-clickable" area of your screen.

        >Note tab will open only at full screen or in a window about 3" wide
        >and 2" high on my 1024x768 screen. If I open it full screen and
        >click the "restore down" button, it goes to 3x2". If I drag the tiny
        >window to the size I want, this size does not persist through
        >closing and restarting NT.
        >
        >These are the only two sizes NT remembers. The "open centered" item
        >on the title bar can be selected but has no effect. The "save
        >position and size" option also has no effect. The "save window
        >state" choice on the title bar does not show a check mark when
        >selected and does not stick.
        >
        >The problem exists whether I double click an associated file type or
        >start NT from its icon.
        >
        >Running XP pro with ATI Radeon 9600 graphics.
        >
        >Anybody know how I can fix this?
        >
        >I found the following section in notetab.ini that seemed relevant. I
        >don't know whether it is or ot, but manually changing the height and
        >width entries had no effect.
        >
        >[RestoreWindows]
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_Restore=1
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_Width=670
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_Height=544
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_StayOnTop=0
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_Center=0
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_Top=117
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_Left=230
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_MonitorCount=1
        >TEFO_FrmNotepad_WindowState=2
        >UseSystemTray=0
        >
        >Thanks,
        >MB

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Happy Tab'n,

      • manny_blatt
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
          Hi Jody,

          I tried your suggestion below before my original posting and have
          just tried it again with the same result:

          The window state I save will work during one notetab session. That
          is, I can open notetab maximized, set the size and position I want,
          and then toggle between maximized and the size/position I set.
          However, this is true ONLY for that session.

          Once I close notetab, it again opens only maximized or in a 3"
          window (more specifically, in the smallest window within which
          notetab can possibly open).

          Looking at this in terms of the "saved window state", on my system
          only two possible states are saved: the largest window in which
          notetab can open on my 1024x768 screen OR the smallest window in
          which notetab can open on my screen--BUT NOTHING IN-BETWEEN.

          I can send you a screen shot if you tell me how to do so--I don't
          see anything in the yahoo group interface that allows this.

          I am convinced that a software issue in my system is causing this
          problem, but have no reasonable way to establish where the conflict
          lies (within the OS or because of some installed program).

          I have tried a total removal/reinstall, but get the same result. I'm
          willing to experiment a bit. Can you advise where the window state
          is saved? If so, I'll try changing the ini or registry setting
          manually to see what happens.

          I like this program, but it is frustrating to the point of
          unusability with this issue.

          Any ideas or other suggestions?

          Thanks,
          Manny

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
            Hi Manny,

            Oops, late again... ;) This isn't as long as it seems; some of it
            further down you can skim over, but don't miss the part in the
            mailing list section about what the Basic list is for. <vbg>
            In short, if this doesn't fix it, then post over on the Off Topic
            list. If something here does, then what? Thanks -jody (I Cc'd you
            in case your unsubscribed.) Try out Pro Trial; maybe it'll work
            for you. See waaaaaay down... ;)

            FYI: You mentioned that the Save Window State on the Titlebar
            menu does not stay/get checked. That is the normal operation. The
            Open Centered in the same place should stay checked though.

            I assume you can change other settings OK, but try storing the
            settings in the system registry in View | Options | Advanced...
            If you do not see the Advanced tab, check Show Advanced Features
            in the View tab. That will make a bunch of other options show up
            too and their menu items as well.

            You can just skip to: "I'd first try opening NoteTab's INI file"
            This is all just manual stuff for geeks that a INI will take
            care of. :)

            If that doesn't work, you can delete all the [RestoreWindows]
            section in NoteTab's INI file, or just rename it when NoteTab is
            closed. See below the [RestoreWindows] section below for the long
            version of renaming the INI file. :) If none of this works, I
            think we have exhausted this as far as NoteTab goes, so I suggest
            you try out the Pro version (which uses a different input control)
            and/or post over on the Off Topic list. (See below also.) The
            following can have an effect it as well: Replace MS Notepad &
            Restore MS Notepad under the Help menu; the tray icon - both
            settings - View + General tabs: Icon in System Tray, Close To
            Tray. (A new INI will fix all that, though <g>.) You can also,
            just for grins of course, open NoteTab's INI file and manually
            check: RestoreSizePos=1 in the [Options] section in the INI file.

            [RestoreWindows]
            UseSystemTray=0
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_Restore=1
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_Width=800
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_Height=601
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_StayOnTop=0
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_Center=1
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_Top=0
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_Left=1
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_MonitorCount=1
            TEFO_FrmNotepad_WindowState=2
            TfrmFavorites_Restore=1
            TfrmFavorites_Width=450
            TfrmFavorites_Height=429
            TfrmFavorites_StayOnTop=0
            TfrmFavorites_Center=1
            TfrmFavorites_Top=125
            TfrmFavorites_Left=153
            TfrmFavorites_MonitorCount=1

            I'd first try opening NoteTab's INI file found in its main folder
            (NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini for Std/Light). Retype over a letter
            so that it creates a state of needing to be saved. Simply save
            the file with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini)
            in front of it and restart NoteTab. Restart NoteTab.

            If that does not work, try a new INI file by renaming the current
            so you can save your settings by going back to the original if it
            doesn't help. If you want to create a new INI file, *close* NoteTab
            and rename NotePro.ini found in its main folder (NoteTab.ini for
            Std/Light). Start up NoteTab and it will use its default settings
            actually creating the INI file when you shut it down.

            If that fixes it, try going through the same procedure, but
            rename your original INI file back to its original name. If it
            looks OK then, all is well. If not you will need to build the new
            INI file again and redo all your settings. You might be able to
            get away with copying all the text in the old INI file and
            pasting it into the new INI file. Simply save the file with an
            exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
            and restart NoteTab.

            either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
            _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

            Clips or Scripts list for them.

            are for discussion of those programs.

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            lists.

            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
            getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

          • Dr. John Watson
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2004
              Hi.. I am having the exact same issue. Tried everything you suggested
              in this thread, no joy. I'm on Windoze 2000 with a fresh, clean
              install of notetab.

              - Oliver

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2004
                Hi Oliver,

                >Hi.. I am having the exact same issue. Tried everything you
                >suggested in this thread, no joy. I'm on Windoze 2000 with a
                >fresh, clean install of notetab.

                I forget if this was mentioned. It usually fixes it.

                1. Resize and adjust the program window where you want it.
                2. Click on the program icon located on Titlebar (upper left).
                3. Uncheck "Open Centered" if checked.
                4. Click on the program icon again.
                5. Click on "Save Window State" (which does not get a check mark).
                6. Restart NoteTab at this time.
                Tip: You can right click on the Titlebar for the same menu as above
                or press the Alt key and then the spacebar while holding Alt down
                (Alt+Spacebar). Simply pressing Alt alone will collapse the menu
                once opened or clicking in a "non-clickable" area of your screen.

                Take care,

                and even thou doest err some!
                http://clean-funnies.com
                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us