Re: [NTB] R.H.S. sorting - possible ?

  • rbmooney
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
      SORT from any word or character in a line. I used to do that all the time in WordPerfect.
      Blake
      rbmooney

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2004
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, John Fitzsimons <johnf@n...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I want to sort lines in a text file from the end. Is that possible ?
        >
        > I start with ;
        >
        > 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
        > 9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2.jpg
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue.jpg
        >
        > Suppose I want to sort things so that all the .gifs, htm etc. files
        > are together ? Or perhaps together and sorted in each category eg.
        >
        > ...................1.gif
        > ...................2.gif
        > ...................3.gif
        > ...................1.htm
        > ...................2.htm
        >
        > etc. etc.
        >
        > How would I do this ? Sorting from the end of a line rather than the
        > beginning ? Or does someone know of another program to do this ?
        >
        > My preference is not to use a script if at all possible.
        >
        > Regards, John.

        You can do this in NoteTab without using a script. That's the good
        news. The bad news is it would be far simpler to use a script to do
        it. However you asked for a non script way to sort by the ends of
        lines, based on your example below, here is a way can do this using
        NoteTab's find/replace tool and regular expressions.

        9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
        9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
        9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2.jpg
        9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue.jpg

        First, I'm assuming the above is the only text in the file. If it's
        not, you'll need to select the text you want sorted before doing each
        of the following steps.

        Press CTRL+R to bring up the NoteTab find/replace dialog box. Make
        sure the checkbox called REGULAR EXP. is NOT checked. Also above the
        regular expression checkbox, make sure the Search option is set to
        ALL. Then in the top box which should have the FIND WHAT label to
        the left of it, type the following:

        {.*}\.jpg

        Then click in the REPLACE WITH box below it, and type the following

        \.jpg\1

        The next step is to check the REGULAR EXPRESSION box, and then
        finally press the REPLACE ALL button. If you did everything exactly
        right, your should see the lines looking like this then:

        .jpg9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15
        9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
        9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
        9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
        .jpg9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2
        .jpg9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue

        where the JPG lines have .jpg at the beginning of the lines instead
        of the end. Repeat the exact same steps above, but change jpg to
        gif, then later gif to htm. At that point all your lines should have
        the file extensions at the front of the lines instead of the end.
        Using NoteTab's modify/lines/sort tool, sort the lines. The last
        step is to reconstruct the lines so the file extensions are once
        again at the end.

        To do that, again press CTRL+R to bring up the find/replace dialog
        box. Once again, start this step out by unchecking the REGULAR
        EXPRESSION box then in the top box enter this:

        ^\.jpg{.*}

        and in the replace with box below it, enter this:

        \1\.jpg

        Then check the regular expression box, and press the REPLACE ALL
        button. That should move the .jpg to the ends of the lines that
        begin with .jpg. Repeat the same procedure for the .gif and .htm
        lines.

        And just like that you've sorted your lines the way you wanted with
        NoteTab without using scripts!

        Simple eh?

        (Actually, compared to doing all this a script (NoteTab clip) would
        be much simpler, but at least you can see one way it could be done
        without using a clip).

        John
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2004
          Hi All,

          !!!_Too much eMail_!!! Set your options at YahooGroups to read
          mail on the web - No email. Or, setup filters in your eMail
          program - ask how on the Off Topic list, please!-) See footer.

          Please just take this as a reminder and where to post messages.
          (Below) Truly, it all works better like this. :) Also, another
          reminder, please remove text in your replies that is not needed
          to understand your replies. This is not meant to flame anybody,
          apologies already accepted. <g>

          > It can be done with a Clip or if the file is not too big *a
          > Regular Expression*. **In either case**, please *post over* on
          > the *Clips list*. See the footer in any NoteTab Basic list
          > message to get to Yahoogroups to sign up for it or please see
          > my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA.
          > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          Please read above with my additional *highlights* and the second
          and fourth paragraphs below (which now has *more* *_highlights_*
          and I added the ----- Discussion ... ----- line at the end also
          for those that archive the messages and need an easy way to strip
          the extra code that is not wanted in the archives. Thanks! :)

          either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
          _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

          Clips or Scripts list for them.

          are for discussion of those programs.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
          getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

          >> I want to sort lines in a text file from the end. Is that possible ?
          >> 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
          >> 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
          >
          >> My preference is not to use a script if at all possible.

          Happy Tab'n,