R.H.S. sorting - possible ?

  • John Fitzsimons
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
      Hi,

      I want to sort lines in a text file from the end. Is that possible ?

      I start with ;

      9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
      9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
      9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
      9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
      9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
      9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
      9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2.jpg
      9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue.jpg

      Suppose I want to sort things so that all the .gifs, htm etc. files
      are together ? Or perhaps together and sorted in each category eg.

      ...................1.gif
      ...................2.gif
      ...................3.gif
      ...................1.htm
      ...................2.htm

      etc. etc.

      How would I do this ? Sorting from the end of a line rather than the
      beginning ? Or does someone know of another program to do this ?

      My preference is not to use a script if at all possible.

      Regards, John.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
        Hi John,

        It can be done with a Clip or if the file is not too big a
        Regular Expression. In either case, please post over on the Clips
        list. See the footer in any NoteTab Basic list message to get to
        Yahoogroups to sign up for it or please see my signature line to
        subscribe to it. TIA. Or, http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        >I want to sort lines in a text file from the end. Is that possible ?
        >
        >I start with ;
        >
        > 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
        > 9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2.jpg
        > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue.jpg
        >
        >Suppose I want to sort things so that all the .gifs, htm etc. files
        >are together ? Or perhaps together and sorted in each category eg.
        >
        >...................1.gif
        >...................2.gif
        >...................3.gif
        >...................1.htm
        >...................2.htm
        >
        >etc. etc.
        >
        >How would I do this ? Sorting from the end of a line rather than the
        >beginning ? Or does someone know of another program to do this ?
        >
        >My preference is not to use a script if at all possible.
        >
        >Regards, John.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Happy Clip'n!

      • rbmooney
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
          SORT from any word or character in a line. I used to do that all the time in WordPerfect.
          Blake
          rbmooney

          It can be done with a Clip or if the file is not too big a
          Regular Expression. In either case, please post over on the Clips
          list.

        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2004
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, John Fitzsimons <johnf@n...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I want to sort lines in a text file from the end. Is that possible ?
            >
            > I start with ;
            >
            > 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
            > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
            > 9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
            > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
            > 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
            > 9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
            > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2.jpg
            > 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue.jpg
            >
            > Suppose I want to sort things so that all the .gifs, htm etc. files
            > are together ? Or perhaps together and sorted in each category eg.
            >
            > ...................1.gif
            > ...................2.gif
            > ...................3.gif
            > ...................1.htm
            > ...................2.htm
            >
            > etc. etc.
            >
            > How would I do this ? Sorting from the end of a line rather than the
            > beginning ? Or does someone know of another program to do this ?
            >
            > My preference is not to use a script if at all possible.
            >
            > Regards, John.

            You can do this in NoteTab without using a script. That's the good
            news. The bad news is it would be far simpler to use a script to do
            it. However you asked for a non script way to sort by the ends of
            lines, based on your example below, here is a way can do this using
            NoteTab's find/replace tool and regular expressions.

            9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
            9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
            9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2.jpg
            9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue.jpg

            First, I'm assuming the above is the only text in the file. If it's
            not, you'll need to select the text you want sorted before doing each
            of the following steps.

            Press CTRL+R to bring up the NoteTab find/replace dialog box. Make
            sure the checkbox called REGULAR EXP. is NOT checked. Also above the
            regular expression checkbox, make sure the Search option is set to
            ALL. Then in the top box which should have the FIND WHAT label to
            the left of it, type the following:

            {.*}\.jpg

            Then click in the REPLACE WITH box below it, and type the following

            \.jpg\1

            The next step is to check the REGULAR EXPRESSION box, and then
            finally press the REPLACE ALL button. If you did everything exactly
            right, your should see the lines looking like this then:

            .jpg9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15
            9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
            9/Aug/04 01:40: /~johnf/spirits.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/welcome.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/chspirit.htm
            9/Aug/04 02:20: /~johnf/ouija.htm
            .jpg9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/world2
            .jpg9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/blue

            where the JPG lines have .jpg at the beginning of the lines instead
            of the end. Repeat the exact same steps above, but change jpg to
            gif, then later gif to htm. At that point all your lines should have
            the file extensions at the front of the lines instead of the end.
            Using NoteTab's modify/lines/sort tool, sort the lines. The last
            step is to reconstruct the lines so the file extensions are once
            again at the end.

            To do that, again press CTRL+R to bring up the find/replace dialog
            box. Once again, start this step out by unchecking the REGULAR
            EXPRESSION box then in the top box enter this:

            ^\.jpg{.*}

            and in the replace with box below it, enter this:

            \1\.jpg

            Then check the regular expression box, and press the REPLACE ALL
            button. That should move the .jpg to the ends of the lines that
            begin with .jpg. Repeat the same procedure for the .gif and .htm
            lines.

            And just like that you've sorted your lines the way you wanted with
            NoteTab without using scripts!

            Simple eh?

            (Actually, compared to doing all this a script (NoteTab clip) would
            be much simpler, but at least you can see one way it could be done
            without using a clip).

            John
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2004
              Hi All,

              !!!_Too much eMail_!!! Set your options at YahooGroups to read
              mail on the web - No email. Or, setup filters in your eMail
              program - ask how on the Off Topic list, please!-) See footer.

              Please just take this as a reminder and where to post messages.
              (Below) Truly, it all works better like this. :) Also, another
              reminder, please remove text in your replies that is not needed
              to understand your replies. This is not meant to flame anybody,
              apologies already accepted. <g>

              > It can be done with a Clip or if the file is not too big *a
              > Regular Expression*. **In either case**, please *post over* on
              > the *Clips list*. See the footer in any NoteTab Basic list
              > message to get to Yahoogroups to sign up for it or please see
              > my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA.
              > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              Please read above with my additional *highlights* and the second
              and fourth paragraphs below (which now has *more* *_highlights_*
              and I added the ----- Discussion ... ----- line at the end also
              for those that archive the messages and need an easy way to strip
              the extra code that is not wanted in the archives. Thanks! :)

              either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
              _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

              Clips or Scripts list for them.

              are for discussion of those programs.

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
              getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

              >> I want to sort lines in a text file from the end. Is that possible ?
              >> 9/Aug/04 02:47: /~johnf/web15.jpg
              >> 9/Aug/04 02:02: /~johnf/knight.gif
              >
              >> My preference is not to use a script if at all possible.

              Happy Tab'n,